Author Topic: Is Manu Ginobili a future HOF?  (Read 2732 times)

Re: Is Manu Ginobili a future HOF?
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2019, 03:51:35 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Absolutely given his international achievements, though I do think it would be an interesting debate in a purely NBA HOF.  I'm not so sure he would be in that one, though I haven't done the research needed to make a determination.

FWIW, Basketball Reference's HOF Probability Index has Manu ranked #149 with a probability of .2005 (notables around him include Kevin Johnson & Jimmy Butler).

Almost certain that Index only uses NBA accomplishments.
Absolutely given his international achievements, though I do think it would be an interesting debate in a purely NBA HOF.  I'm not so sure he would be in that one, though I haven't done the research needed to make a determination.

FWIW, Basketball Reference's HOF Probability Index has Manu ranked #149 with a probability of .2005 (notables around him include Kevin Johnson & Jimmy Butler).

Almost certain that Index only uses NBA accomplishments.
It does, but championships help a lot in that category, but he was never more than the 3rd best player on any team he was on.  He didn't do any one thing at an elite level.  He didn't rack up counting stats.  He didn't make many all star or all NBA teams (2 all star and 2 3rd teams).  If this was just the NBA, I don't think he gets in. 

Don't you think you should also take into account the coaching and system as a reason why he wasn't anything more than 2 All-Stars? Any other team, I definitely believe he would be playing 30+ MPG, and would have better career averages since Manu, in his own self, was an awesome scorer.

Even if he was 6th man, he was usually closing out games, and generally one of the most underrated passers. Pretty much revolutionized the euro step, and brought so much to the game.

But yeah, of course HoF takes International awards and accomplishments as a factor.

I also feel like we have discussed this multiple times on this blog.

Is the search function removed? I cannot seem to find it.
I don't know that you can account for system in that manner.  I mean if he isn't on the Spurs, does he win a title?  Without the titles, his career is a lot different.  I'm also not sure his numbers change all that much as Manu just never struck me as a good that could realistically be a #1 option.   I mean in his prime he basically averaged 30 mpg for an 8 year period, it isn't like he didn't have minutes, he just wasn't any higher than 3rd in the pecking order limiting his stats.  He also missed a lot of games due to injury (hit 80 once and only 76 or more 1 other time with many seasons below 70).  The simple truth is Duncan and Parker were always better players than him and many years there were others (like Robinson early on and Kawhi later on).  For, at best, the 3rd best player on every single team he was on to make the HOF he has to be exceptional at something or just play so long that he just builds up huge counting stats (like Rodman or Parish).  That isn't Manu.  He gets in because he has such a huge international pedigree, but I don't see him making a purely NBA HOF.
He did win wherever he played. Beat Americans without the Spurs infrastructure, won gold.

I'd rate him just below Kobe and Wade as the 3rd best guard of generation.

He could be effective without the ball in his hands, more than those two.

I could have easily see him average 28 and 7 on a winning team like say this years Denver, leading them to playoffs.

Manu also wasn't primadona, he was scalable. Able to play anywhere with anyone, while respecting his teammates and coach, giving his best effort each night. I value that a lot.

When I saw him play in Kinder, Italy for the first time, I was like, he has all the tricks, plus the athleticism, athleticism that stuck even at the advanced age.

Manu had NO weaknesis.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2019, 04:42:11 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
Yes, because the basketball hall of fame is not the NBA hall of fame. It takes into consideration your whole basketball career.

That 2004 Olympic gold medal is what makes it for him. He was the best player on a truly legendary team.

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2019, 05:45:14 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Absolutely - every day and TWICE on Sundays.

He is also a closet Boston Celtic. He never admitted this because he never wanted to offend Coach Pop.

I expect him to come clean when he is inducted into the HOF in a couple of years.

Thanks Manu - for your fearless brand of basketball that included your teammates...your selflessness...your immense talent.