Author Topic: Patriots re-sign Aaron Hernandez to long term deal  (Read 12282 times)

Patriots re-sign Aaron Hernandez to long term deal
« on: August 27, 2012, 08:53:34 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Per ESPN the deal is through 2018

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/8306183/new-england-patriots-tight-end-aaron-hernandez-agree-extension-source-says

So now they have Gronk and Hernandez tied up long term.  I like that they are willing to pay their young receivers, gotta wonder how welker feels about this though
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 10:12:04 AM by Redz »
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

Re: Patriots resign Aaron Hernandez to long term deal
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 08:59:54 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
http://www.sullysbrand.com/products/make-it-rain-rain-maker-number81-shirt

Now that he is going to be around for a while I think I can justify the purchase of this shirt.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 09:02:07 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

"AARON HERNANDEZ!?!?!"

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 09:02:40 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
gotta wonder how welker feels about this though
Like his ass is out the door after this year or after next (and another franchise tag)

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 09:05:48 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Like his ass is out the door after this year or after next (and another franchise tag)

Probably, though I really don't agree with the pats decision making if they choose this route though.  Brady to Welker at the sticks has been the bread and butter of this offense since 2007.  Welker just makes everything easier for the pats offense. 

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 09:15:13 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Probably, though I really don't agree with the pats decision making if they choose this route though.  Brady to Welker at the sticks has been the bread and butter of this offense since 2007.  Welker just makes everything easier for the pats offense.

While I agree, you have to wonder how much longer Welker can do it at an elite level.

I don't think they are choosing to not sign him to a longer deal.  I just think he wants more years and money than they are willing to invest.  And I don't blame them for that.

If he will sign for 3 years at reasonable money, then I think the deal would already be done.  But I think he is looking for a huge deal, which the Pats just don't give to most guys over 30.

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 09:17:49 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1628
  • What a Pub Should Be
Great move by the Pats.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 09:18:29 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

While I agree, you have to wonder how much longer Welker can do it at an elite level.

I don't think they are choosing to not sign him to a longer deal.  I just think he wants more years and money than they are willing to invest.  And I don't blame them for that.

If he will sign for 3 years at reasonable money, then I think the deal would already be done.  But I think he is looking for a huge deal, which the Pats just don't give to most guys over 30.
I'd be shocked if the Pats ever offered much more than the two years franchise tags worth of guarenteed money.

That's what Forte/Rice got essentially as their signing bonuses plus a couple of million.

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 09:22:20 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

I have agreed with Felger that they should have done 3 years 27 million from the get go.  I don't know how much would be guaranteed vs not guaranteed but I think the tag for him would go up to like 13 million next year so you are talking two years on the franchse tag being like 22 million guaranteed.  So I think 3 at 27 is fair for both

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 09:26:55 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1628
  • What a Pub Should Be

I have agreed with Felger that they should have done 3 years 27 million from the get go.  I don't know how much would be guaranteed vs not guaranteed but I think the tag for him would go up to like 13 million next year so you are talking two years on the franchse tag being like 22 million guaranteed.  So I think 3 at 27 is fair for both

I'd be pretty shocked if Welker gets franchised again next year. The money would get a bit prohibitive and you're talking about a guy that works mostly out of the slot.  Pats will try for a deal and, if it doesn't pan out, let him walk, IMO.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 09:30:53 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
excellent move by the pats, happy to see Hernandez here for the long term. on the flip side, i think it is highly likely that welker just walks at the end of the season. if he does well wherever he ends up, the Pats might get a mid-round compensatory pick for him, but I think that's about it.

Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 09:31:50 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

Yeah what was the Pats offer 3 years 15 mil? It was something ridiculous. I don't think Welker was going to be greedy but at least a somewhat respectable offer may have pushed negotiations a little closer

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 09:33:07 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Dons I agree with what you say, but at this point isnt it about maximizing the liklihood the pats win a title while we still have Brady?  I know the pats always think long term but when you have a guy like brady who maybe has 5 years left you gotta trying to maximize that window.

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 09:42:06 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Dons I agree with what you say, but at this point isnt it about maximizing the liklihood the pats win a title while we still have Brady?  I know the pats always think long term but when you have a guy like brady who maybe has 5 years left you gotta trying to maximize that window.

I agree, especially for this year. But I'm not sure that a 32 year old Welker  is all that necessary in 2013 -- I think Hernandez can replicate a lot of what Welker brings. This is especially the case if that 32 year old Welker is counting for 10% of the team's salary. it just doesn't make much business sense to me.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 09:51:45 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Yeah what was the Pats offer 3 years 15 mil? It was something ridiculous. I don't think Welker was going to be greedy but at least a somewhat respectable offer may have pushed negotiations a little closer

No positive, but I think $15 million was the guaranteed amount...which isn't so terrible.

Anyways, the other interesting thing with Hernandez and Welker is that I see Hernandez as the eventual Welker replacement.  Not that he will be a full time WR, but that he will become the go-to safety valve reciever, and will spend a decent amount of time in the slot.

While he isn't as fast, Hernandez has some similar characteristics to Welker, and he really is a weapon on the short passes, and can run after the catch. 

My guess is, if Welker does move on after this year, the plan will be to utilize Hernandez even more, and perhaps try to use some of Welker's salary spot to get someone who can stretch the field more (depending on how things work out with Lloyd).