Author Topic: Jaylen/Jayson Are the Future, But We Need More (TPE Idea)  (Read 4811 times)

Re: Jaylen/Jayson Are the Future, But We Need More (TPE Idea)
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2021, 01:11:13 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If only we had an all-star point guard who could get good shots for the team to take some pressure off of Brown and Tatum. Is anyone like that available?

I'm not sure how long Smart and Teague will be out, but hopefully it will be long enough for Stevens and Ainge to see the obvious. Pritchard and Waters shoot better and keep the the ball moving. Smart and Teague pound the rock, and so does Kemba.

We don't need better players. We need players who will do complimentary work for this team. Smart, Theis and Thompson are our best players other than the J's, but they don't provide spacing and movement.

Kemba does help with spacing, but he doesn't promote ball movement while he's out there. He will help a lot when he returns, but I hope it is as a scorer off the bench.

If we get someone with the TPE, I hope they support spacing, movement and defense. That matters as much as how good they are. We are lucky. We've got the franchise players locked up for years.

You think the offence and ball movement is improved with Waters?   

Not what I saw out there.

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2021, 01:18:53 PM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
I am all in in the youth movment, but personnaly I still regret we didn't move at all last year deadline. Our team needed more experience and scoring from the bench especially with a fragile GH. We were rumored tot try to go for Bertans by exemple. We don't know what a Bertans may have changed in ECF.

I don't want to have this kind of regret this year, especially because we have big TPE. This TPE which is also our last chance to take a quiet big salary for years to come. There is always teams who want to buy low big contracts; some rookie and/or en 1st round are there enough to catch some of them. We don't have an offensive 6 men from the bench and really lack of PF. In regular season our team may center on youth development. But in PO I don't want to fall shortly again, telling me we had a real chance to win it all with just a little move more. So yes we need someone and I think there will be better options than Robinson for cheap. You just have to see what it cost to have players like Capela or Drummond last year.

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2021, 03:16:10 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
To me the best ability is availability.    And Parker to me, I could be wrong, seems unavailable alot.   
Diggles

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2021, 05:32:02 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
If only we had an all-star point guard who could get good shots for the team to take some pressure off of Brown and Tatum. Is anyone like that available?

I'm not sure how long Smart and Teague will be out, but hopefully it will be long enough for Stevens and Ainge to see the obvious. Pritchard and Waters shoot better and keep the the ball moving. Smart and Teague pound the rock, and so does Kemba.

We don't need better players. We need players who will do complimentary work for this team. Smart, Theis and Thompson are our best players other than the J's, but they don't provide spacing and movement.

Kemba does help with spacing, but he doesn't promote ball movement while he's out there. He will help a lot when he returns, but I hope it is as a scorer off the bench.

If we get someone with the TPE, I hope they support spacing, movement and defense. That matters as much as how good they are. We are lucky. We've got the franchise players locked up for years.

Spacing movement defense were staples early on in his coaching career for brad.  It worked and has worked when executed this year

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2021, 05:48:58 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Teague and Pritchard have been fine with "distribution."

I think that Tatum and Brown's game benefit from a PG who can get them spots.

Running the ball through either of the J's works fine for awhile, but, also makes it easier for the opposing defense on the perimeter.

Many voices have called for solid power forward player like Barnes or Gordon. I understand that might be for the off season, but, if there is a "hole" that would be it.

I wonder who Ainge would bring in with the TPE.

I am not afraid of the east this year. With the Celtics in decent shape for the playoffs, their improved bench/frontcourt + the J's dominant play will be tough on Philly/Bux/Heat/Net etc. Final seedings might be different from expectations as larger number of "good teams" plus Hawks and others will win more this season than in the past.

Celtics played 17 playoff games in Disneyland. Their young guys are better for it.

Finally, the Celtics have Peyton Pritchard which means the balance of power in the east has shifted. (drumroll)

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2021, 05:56:56 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Walker is one of the best point guards in the league at compromising the defense and giving teammates an advantage to attack closeouts. He's very good at ball movement. It's one of the things that makes him special, and always has.

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2021, 06:02:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The Celtics, without Kemba, are 11th in the league in points per game and 7th in offensive rating. Their two stars are both averaging over 26 points a game and are scoring efficiently at an elite level. Both are shooting 42.9% from three. The team as a whole is shooting at almost 41%. That's an astonishing team number.

Offense is not this team's problem. Defense is. But it's early, and everyone should get to know their roles defensively sometime soon, hopefully.

If we are adding anyone besides what they bring offensively, they need to be a good defender.

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2021, 08:44:37 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Young guys look good

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2021, 09:43:49 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Even though it stings to be paying your 6th man a max contract, I do like the idea of Kemba as that instant offense off the bench where he can give the 2nd unit a huge boost and save his knees by cutting his minutes from here on out. The Celts have a nice history of a starter-level player coming off the bench as a 6th man, a guy who is better than the starter he is subbing out - Havlicek in the 60's, Paul Silas in the 70's and McHale in the 80's.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2021, 09:40:27 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Even though it stings to be paying your 6th man a max contract, I do like the idea of Kemba as that instant offense off the bench where he can give the 2nd unit a huge boost and save his knees by cutting his minutes from here on out. The Celts have a nice history of a starter-level player coming off the bench as a 6th man, a guy who is better than the starter he is subbing out - Havlicek in the 60's, Paul Silas in the 70's and McHale in the 80's.

Yes, I’m envisioning that may be where Kemba lands if the concerns over his knees are warranted. It becomes a lot more bearable if we somehow turn the TPE into a decent (but obviously will never be an all-star) starting guard like Hield, so we know we’ll have PP and Hield the next three years (perhaps beyond) alongside Kemba off the bench. We will probably not be able to trade Kemba, or at least for anything that offsets the negatives to trading Kemba such as how bad it looks spurning a popular player who signed with us just last year. That said, if his knees can handle ELITE-level play for 18-24 MPG as our sixth man, he’ll still be an extremely valuable player to us and continue to be one of the most respected and liked players in the game today (and probably a perennial 6thMOY).

At this point, all things considered, I would not even try to trade him the next three years unless the Rockets get desperate at this year’s  deadline, and become willing to trade Harden for just Walker, Langford, Nesmith and protected first rounders (that’s still a gamble I would take this year, and if it fails I’d cut my losses and send Harden back to the west in the offseason—am guessing the Warriors and Trailblazers would be willing to part with valuable pieces, or perhaps the Nuggets would give up Jamal Murray for Harden and protected picks, but there is no way Houston will trade him to a western team).
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 09:55:22 AM by GreenlyGreeny »

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2021, 10:25:17 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru

You think the offence and ball movement is improved with Waters?   

Not what I saw out there.

In the career ~10 minute sample size the guy's played with starters? Might be a touch small, fellas.

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2021, 11:49:50 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Jabari Parker isn't good, is my first problem with this idea.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2021, 06:28:50 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
We're giving up too much for Buddy Hield imo.  Doesn't he want out of Sacramento?

And Jabari Parker is an average PF at best and doesn't boast the 3-point shooting accuracy that Stevens likes in the 4 position.

I'd rather trade for Chris Boucher from Toronto.  He's older at 28 but he's currently having the best season of his career.  The numbers aren't sustainable but even if he returns to earth he provides adequate rim protection and a 3 point shot in a 6'9 package.