Author Topic: Kirk Goldsberry's piece about everything we already know  (Read 1455 times)

Kirk Goldsberry's piece about everything we already know
« on: November 16, 2018, 05:49:39 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
From the piece:

It all starts with Irving, the team's offensive superstar and highest-usage player. He leads the Celtics by making 2.9 close-range shots per game ... but he ranks 78th in the NBA in this category. Al Horford, the team's most prolific big man, is averaging 2.5 close-range buckets per game, which ranks 102nd in the NBA. Jaylen Brown and Tatum are at 2.6 and 2.2, respectively. For comparison: Giannis Antetokounmpo leads the NBA in close-range scoring with 8.9 buckets per game -- more than those top three Celtics combined.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25283082/why-boston-celtics-offense-broken-nba

It's everything everyone here has been griping about all season (too many 3's, not enough attacking the rim), just better written.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: Kirk Goldsberry's piece about everything we already know
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 05:52:10 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
From the piece:

It all starts with Irving, the team's offensive superstar and highest-usage player. He leads the Celtics by making 2.9 close-range shots per game ... but he ranks 78th in the NBA in this category. Al Horford, the team's most prolific big man, is averaging 2.5 close-range buckets per game, which ranks 102nd in the NBA. Jaylen Brown and Tatum are at 2.6 and 2.2, respectively. For comparison: Giannis Antetokounmpo leads the NBA in close-range scoring with 8.9 buckets per game -- more than those top three Celtics combined.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25283082/why-boston-celtics-offense-broken-nba

It's everything everyone here has been griping about all season (too many 3's, not enough attacking the rim), just better written.

I just don't get it. You would think there would be more players making back door cuts, or Tatum posting up down low to create mismatches. But lately I've noticed all we do is stand around, and when we're in fast break transition, we would rather step back, and take a 3 instead of driving/creating contact.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 06:03:23 PM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
The offense has been prioritizing the open 3 point shot.  It's a great shot to take, but they need to be looking for shots at the rim first.  That's basketball 101.  It's been driving me nuts all season.  I think it's partially a result of guys trying not to be selfish and a ball hog.  With everyone so spread out, there are plenty of opportunities opportunities to drive to the rim.  We have the guys to do it, but most of the time when they do, they kick it back out for a jump shot.  Guys need to be more selfish. 

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 06:08:35 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
The offense has been prioritizing the open 3 point shot.  It's a great shot to take, but they need to be looking for shots at the rim first.  That's basketball 101.  It's been driving me nuts all season.  I think it's partially a result of guys trying not to be selfish and a ball hog.  With everyone so spread out, there are plenty of opportunities opportunities to drive to the rim.  We have the guys to do it, but most of the time when they do, they kick it back out for a jump shot.  Guys need to be more selfish. 

Perfect example right here...

Tatum turns down corner 3, fakes, then tries to beat defender while going the wrong side, then iso's.. Look at Steven's reaction.

https://streamable.com/1u8yq

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 06:14:30 PM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

Tatum turns down corner 3, fakes, then tries to beat defender while going the wrong side, then iso's.. Look at Steven's reaction.

That looks like a brain fart by Tatum, but notice how everyone else is standing around.  No picks and no one cutting to the rim.

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 06:16:37 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

That looks like a brain fart by Tatum, but notice how everyone else is standing around.  No picks and no one cutting to the rim.

Yup, I sorely miss Bradley for his back door cutting. JB should've ran back door cut instead of asking for the pass.

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 06:19:08 PM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

Yup, I sorely miss Bradley for his back door cutting. JB should've ran back door cut instead of asking for the pass.

Bradley was great at that.

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 06:33:25 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
From the piece:

Was about to post this but you beat me to it. This passage is illuminating as well:

But Irving is not alone. Gordon Hayward is logging the highest 3-point rate and lowest free throw rate of his career. And remember when Tatum posterized LeBron James in the Eastern Conference finals? That seems like a million years ago, and Tatum has succumbed to passive ball as well. Last season, 32 percent of his shots came within three feet of the bucket. This year that's down to 19 percent. (His free throw rate is down too.)

Irving, Tatum, Hayward and Horford have all been more likely to shoot 3s than get to the rim. Somebody in this foursome has to start attacking more and pulling up less, because the pull-ups aren't working.

And apparently only 31.9% of our shots are taken from 8 feet or less, which is the lowest figure in the NBA, even lower than Golden State which is second lowest. It does help that Golden State has 3 killer shooters though.

Goldberry didn't mention the fact that we've missed more open looks than any other team in the league though.

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 08:04:07 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Yep.  This team just doesn't generate easy looks inside, pretty much ever.

If your jumpshots don't open up looks inside, what's the point?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2018, 09:08:43 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
So much standing around off the ball. So. Much.

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2018, 10:35:32 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Tonight they attacked the basket a lot more which generated better three point looks. There were still parts of the game where they fell into old habits but for the most part they took better shots. Some of them didn’t go in but they will fix that

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2018, 07:14:01 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Tonight they attacked the basket a lot more which generated better three point looks. There were still parts of the game where they fell into old habits but for the most part they took better shots. Some of them didn’t go in but they will fix that

Hopefully everyone was paying attention to what worked last night. That overtime was beautiful.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2018, 09:21:04 PM »

Offline Mike Pemulis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
wrong thread
Allston, MA --> Enfield Tennis Academy

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2018, 02:54:31 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White

Hopefully everyone was paying attention to what worked last night. That overtime was beautiful.

Clearly they weren't paying attention, vs UT they reverted to all the bad habits  :-\