Author Topic: Idea: CJ McCollum  (Read 9130 times)

Re: Idea: CJ McCollum
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2018, 04:19:06 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I like it. CJ McCollum gives you 95% of what Kyrie does and is actually likeable (unlike Kyrie).

McCollum could certainly play PG in this system. The PG gets loads of help from the rest of the players in this system.

Out of curiosity, what do you find unlikable about Kyrie?

Scoring PG. Bad effort without the ball. Rarely plays defense. Mediocre rebounder. A mediocre passer. Bad floor general. Doesn't make his teammates better. A guy who only cares about his own numbers. Selfish player. Then all the crap / weird stuff in the interviews. Earth is flat crap. Like a child wanting attention. His game doesn't appeal to me and his personality doesn't appeal to me.

He is the luckiest guy ever to luck his way onto LeBron's team and then Ainge's titan of a team. If not for those two guys, Kyrie would still be struggling to make the playoffs.
I question a lot of this assessment.
Bad movement off-ball? I thought he worked handoffs and backdoors pretty well with Horford and Baynes last year.

Mediocre Rebounder? He's a point guard. Our team rebounding was pretty high level with him on the court. I don't need him stealing rebounds from other players to boost his own stats.

Barely plays defense? Yes and no. Almost every elite guard playmaker focuses their energy on offense (Harden, Westbrook, James, Lillard, DeRozan, Walker, Curry). What I like about Irving is that he can lock-in on defense and make importance crunch-time defensive plays. The Houston game in Boston last year turned on multiple defensive plays by Irving in the 2nd. He had multiple key stands against Curry in the finals the year the Cavs won it.

Mediocre passer? He isn't Paul, but then again, Paul can't score like Irving can. Only Harden, James, and Westbrook scored as many points and dished out as many assists per36 as Irving did last year.

Bad floor general? Doesn't make teammates better? I thought Tatum and Brown both showed confidence and development early in the year in large part because of Irving's confidence in them and the way he set them up.

Selfish? I've never seen that. In fact, I would rather he shot more. At times, he takes one too many dribbles, but I always had a sense that he picks his spots and sets up other guys early in the game to get them involved.

If you don't like his personality, that's fine, but don't let that color who he is as a basketball player.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 05:18:15 PM by DefenseWinsChamps »

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2018, 04:45:28 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I like trades that the Celtics get the best player in the deal and this isn't one...

« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2018, 01:48:51 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
This is like Leonard for DeRozan

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2018, 05:34:56 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I just met Terry Stotts last night. Super nice guy.

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2018, 07:35:30 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I like it. CJ McCollum gives you 95% of what Kyrie does and is actually likeable (unlike Kyrie).

McCollum could certainly play PG in this system. The PG gets loads of help from the rest of the players in this system.

Scoring PG. Bad effort without the ball. Rarely plays defense. Mediocre rebounder. A mediocre passer. Bad floor general. Doesn't make his teammates better. A guy who only cares about his own numbers. Selfish player. Then all the crap / weird stuff in the interviews. Earth is flat crap. Like a child wanting attention. His game doesn't appeal to me and his personality doesn't appeal to me.

He is the luckiest guy ever to luck his way onto LeBron's team and then Ainge's titan of a team. If not for those two guys, Kyrie would still be struggling to make the playoffs.

100 TPs. 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 07:48:06 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2018, 07:42:25 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

Bad movement off-ball? I thought he worked handoffs and backdoors pretty well with Horford and Baynes last year.

Mediocre Rebounder? He's a point guard. Our team rebounding was pretty high level with him on the court. I don't need him stealing rebounds from other players to boost his own stats.

Barely plays defense? Yes and no. Almost every elite guard playmaker focuses their energy on offense (Harden, Westbrook, James, Lillard, DeRozan, Walker, Curry). What I like about Irving is that he can lock-in on defense and make importance crunch-time defensive plays. The Houston game in Boston last year turned on multiple defensive plays by Irving in the 2nd. He had multiple key stands against Curry in the finals the year the Cavs won it.

Mediocre passer? He isn't Paul, but then again, Paul can't score like Irving can. Only Harden, James, and Westbrook scored as many points and dished out as many assists per36 as Irving did last year.

Bad floor general? Doesn't make teammates better? I thought Tatum and Brown both showed confidence and development early in the year in large part because of Irving's confidence in them and the way he set them up.

Selfish? I've never seen that. In fact, I would rather he shot more. At times, he takes one too many dribbles, but I always had a sense that he picks his spots and sets up other guys early in the game to get them involved.

If you don't like his personality, that's fine, but don't let that color who he is as a basketball player.
He is just joking aroud

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2018, 07:53:12 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Thank you. TP
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2018, 02:29:25 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Thank you. TP
I love CJ. He is a smart dude and a big-time player.
I could even agree that he is 95% of Kyrie, but that top 5% is basically unreachable for others. That is the difference of being a great scorer and being unguardable.
Kyrie is Ronaldinho and CJ is Franck Ribery.

Edit: It is interesting how some fans still find scoring point guards as damaged goods.
Considering you can't win big without one.

Curry - scoring PG (3 titles in 4 years)
Kyrie - scoring PG (1 title in 4)
Harden - scoring PG (couple of WCF, MVP)
IT - scoring PG (hearts of the fans)

Include de facto PGs such as LBJ and Giannis etc. in and it is clear that in this era you need ballhandlers that can score in bunches.

I just don't see Rubio and Dunn as players that will put you over the top.
I have seen Curry and Kyrie do it.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 05:48:30 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2018, 06:35:13 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

So easy to refute all this crap but someone else already destroyed this guy so I'm just gonna add 1 thing. If Kyrie didn't make his teammates better, why the heck did Al register lesser attempts from three without Kyrie than with him? Guys get open a lot more because of the pressure Kyrie draws. Oh, and didn't Tatum himself acknowledge Kyrie as one of the guys who helped him the most on the team (other being Morris). I guess you know better than Tatum right?

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2018, 09:14:00 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I don't agree with Who, I think we are lucky to have Kyrie. Having said this, he is p consistent on his opinions, iirc he criticized IT too for being a shoot first PG.