Author Topic: Idea: CJ McCollum  (Read 9136 times)

Re: Idea: CJ McCollum
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2018, 09:48:01 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
McCollum is not a PG. A really good 2 guard.
Did you believe Harden could thrive at PG when he was playing next to Westbrook?

Saying James Harden is a PG reminds me of all the people at the parks/CYO’s where just because they dribble the ball past half court, they suddenly think they’re point guards. His assist numbers seem irrelevant to me because his teammates have zero choice but to shoot when Harden passes the ball to them since the shot clock is about to expire. I can’t think of another player who holds onto the ball as long as Harden in the league.

As for McCollum, he’s a very good but not great, undersized two guard. The trade idea does have some merit, but I wouldn’t trade Irving. I think the Celtics have a legitimate chance to win it all with Kyrie, but would severally diminish with that trade. Whenever I see Portland play, especially in the playoffs, there seems to be something missing with McCollum. Almost as if he disappears far too easily and definitely doesn’t have the killer instinct of Kyrie.

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2018, 09:56:53 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Bad timing.
Bad return value.
Bad fit.
Bad trade.

And it will never happen.

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2018, 10:01:10 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Since it's summer, and there's nothing else going on, I'm take this opportunity to rail on CJ McCollum.

To me, the dude just looks like he was born 25 years too late.  Like he would have been perfect on A Different World or in one of those late 80's/early 90's new jack swing groups.

And his podcast sucks.  Ever sit near a couple (or maybe even have been that person) on a first date with no chemistry, and you hear the guy pepper the girl with questions trying to get to know her,  but you can tell there's probably not going to be a 2nd date?  That's what McCollum sounds like on his podcast.

Ok rant over.

CJ does always look like he's auditioning for the role of 'best friend' in a coming of age movie where they do constant flashbacks to the early 90's.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2018, 10:42:59 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
I like it. CJ McCollum gives you 95% of what Kyrie does and is actually likeable (unlike Kyrie).

McCollum could certainly play PG in this system. The PG gets loads of help from the rest of the players in this system.

Yeah I agree with this. Kyrie, I think, is the superior player. But it’s not by a wide margin. I’d rather be paying McCollum $25 mill next year than be paying Kyrie the $40 mill he’s going to demand. I don’t like giving up Morris in the process, though. He’s more important to this team than people realize, and can probably be resigned for what he is making now, which is a bargain.

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2018, 11:10:51 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Bad timing.
Bad return value.
Bad fit.
Bad trade.

Besides all that how do you feel about it?
Yup

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2018, 11:25:52 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Bad timing.
Bad return value.
Bad fit.
Bad trade.

Well, other than those things, I love it!!!😁

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2018, 11:40:02 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
McCollum is really underrated. I've seen him have some monster games playing the PG whenever Lillard has been out. Besides, I'm really confused as to why he can't play PG. Can he handle the ball? Yes. Can he execute the PNR? Absolutely. Is he at least an average passer. Yes. Is he a pure PG? No. However, how many players in today's NBA are really pure PG's? The league is riddled with score first PG's like Westbrook, Lillard, Curry, Irving, etc., so the notion that McCollum will be unable to play the position seems shortsighted.

I do think Irving is the better player, but if we were able to work out a 3 team deal where we would receive McCollum and the Blazers 1st rd pick this year (I think that'll be a late lottery pick with them getting squeezed out of the playoffs), then that's something I'd really consider. Especially with the uncertainty of Irving's pending free agency.

Statistical comparison over the last 3 seasons (since CJ has started)

McCollum
Games Played  80 - 81 -80
PPG                 20.8 - 23.0 - 21.4
APG                 4.2 - 3.6 -3.4
RPG                 3.2 - 3.6 - 4.0
FG%                44.8 - 48.0 - 44.3
FT%                 82.7 - 91.2 - 83.6
3PT%               41.7 - 42.1 - 39.7

Irving
Games Played  53 -72 -60
PPG                 19.6 - 25.2 - 24.4
APG                 4.7 - 5.8 - 5.1
RPG                 3.0 - 3.2 - 3.8
FG%                44.8 - 47.3 - 49.1
FT%                 88.5 - 90.5 - 88.9
3PT%               32.1 - 40.1 - 40.8

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2018, 12:17:04 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
I like it. CJ McCollum gives you 95% of what Kyrie does and is actually likeable (unlike Kyrie).

McCollum could certainly play PG in this system. The PG gets loads of help from the rest of the players in this system.

Out of curiosity, what do you find unlikable about Kyrie?

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2018, 12:25:15 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
McCollum is really underrated. I've seen him have some monster games playing the PG whenever Lillard has been out. Besides, I'm really confused as to why he can't play PG. Can he handle the ball? Yes. Can he execute the PNR? Absolutely. Is he at least an average passer. Yes. Is he a pure PG? No. However, how many players in today's NBA are really pure PG's? The league is riddled with score first PG's like Westbrook, Lillard, Curry, Irving, etc., so the notion that McCollum will be unable to play the position seems shortsighted.

I do think Irving is the better player, but if we were able to work out a 3 team deal where we would receive McCollum and the Blazers 1st rd pick this year (I think that'll be a late lottery pick with them getting squeezed out of the playoffs), then that's something I'd really consider. Especially with the uncertainty of Irving's pending free agency.

Statistical comparison over the last 3 seasons (since CJ has started)

McCollum
Games Played  80 - 81 -80
PPG                 20.8 - 23.0 - 21.4
APG                 4.2 - 3.6 -3.4
RPG                 3.2 - 3.6 - 4.0
FG%                44.8 - 48.0 - 44.3
FT%                 82.7 - 91.2 - 83.6
3PT%               41.7 - 42.1 - 39.7

Irving
Games Played  53 -72 -60
PPG                 19.6 - 25.2 - 24.4
APG                 4.7 - 5.8 - 5.1
RPG                 3.0 - 3.2 - 3.8
FG%                44.8 - 47.3 - 49.1
FT%                 88.5 - 90.5 - 88.9
3PT%               32.1 - 40.1 - 40.8

This is a case where per 36 numbers would do better to show how Kyrie is on another level offensively. I like CJ a lot, but he is a high level scorer, whereas Irving is an elite one.

Per 36, Kyrie was at 23, 26, nd 27 points per game the last 3 seasons. His assists were 5, 6, and 6.

McCullom was 22, 24 and 21 the last 3 seasons. His assists were 4, 4, and 3.

The difference between the two numbers is the difference between a high level starter/fringe all-star and a superstar.

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2018, 12:58:05 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Yeah I agree with this. Kyrie, I think, is the superior player. But it’s not by a wide margin. I’d rather be paying McCollum $25 mill next year than be paying Kyrie the $40 mill he’s going to demand. I don’t like giving up Morris in the process, though. He’s more important to this team than people realize, and can probably be resigned for what he is making now, which is a bargain.
This is the kind of thinking that results in a legendary bad trade.  Look back through the ages, the team that got the better player has usually "won" the trade in the sense of going on to becoming a championship-competing team.  The lesser players are more-or-less forgotten.

Ainge has steadfastly maintained that you need elite players, not just good players.  This is proven by looking at who won championships.  Top-10 players are a must, and preferably top-5.

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2018, 01:42:26 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Bad timing.
Bad return value.
Bad fit.
Bad trade.

Well, other than those things, I love it!!!😁

This is what we call "creating a positive spin".
Yup

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2018, 02:26:47 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
McCollum is not a PG. A really good 2 guard.
Did you believe Harden could thrive at PG when he was playing next to Westbrook?
Whenever I see Portland play, especially in the playoffs, there seems to be something missing with McCollum. Almost as if he disappears far too easily and definitely doesn’t have the killer instinct of Kyrie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgdO2BxNVb8

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2018, 03:07:03 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Out of curiosity, what do you find unlikable about Kyrie?

Scoring PG. Bad effort without the ball. Rarely plays defense. Mediocre rebounder. A mediocre passer. Bad floor general. Doesn't make his teammates better. A guy who only cares about his own numbers. Selfish player. Then all the crap / weird stuff in the interviews. Earth is flat crap. Like a child wanting attention. His game doesn't appeal to me and his personality doesn't appeal to me.

He is the luckiest guy ever to luck his way onto LeBron's team and then Ainge's titan of a team. If not for those two guys, Kyrie would still be struggling to make the playoffs.

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2018, 04:00:57 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Irving isn't getting paid 40 million.  He is a 30% max player, the cap is going to be around 110 million, which makes Irving a 33 million player (or in that neighborhood).  Morris is barely going to play for Boston next year. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2018, 04:05:29 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I am so glad Ainge is the GM.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)