Author Topic: Does the Bruins Success Bother Anyone Else?  (Read 38194 times)

Re: Does the Bruins Success Bother Anyone Else?
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2011, 09:55:55 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I'm definitely not upset with their success, but I'm definitely jealous of it. The finals would be so much more interesting if the Celtics were playing (for us at least).

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2011, 10:01:27 PM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
Not a Bruins fan but not bothered by it either.  I do find this team a bit hard to cheer for though; they just don't look like a championship team.  I was rooting for the B's last time they made the Cup finals with Neely, Bourque, Moog, Carter, Janney; a much more likeable cast of characters for sure.

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2011, 10:05:04 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Not a Bruins fan but not bothered by it either.  I do find this team a bit hard to cheer for though; they just don't look like a championship team.  I was rooting for the B's last time they made the Cup finals with Neely, Bourque, Moog, Carter, Janney; a much more likeable cast of characters for sure.

I like the anonymous, scrappy underdog aspect of the team.  They're not a team that looks great on paper, but so far, so good.

I loved those old teams; Neely is my all-time favorite player, and of course Ray Bourque is and always will be the man.  However, this is a different type of team with its own unique identity, and I find myself rooting for them just as hard as with any Bruins team I've seen.

(Plus, if we win this series, in 20 years our fans will be talking about the greatness of Thomas, Chara, Bergeron, Horton, etc.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2011, 10:29:58 PM »

Offline PierceMVP08

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
  • And the Truth shall set you free
If I could see the Celtics win Banner #18 next year only at the cost of the Bruins not winning a championship for another 30-40 years or whatever, I'd gladly do it.

Really don't care that much about hockey.

Ouch, pretty harsh considering the Bruins haven't won in over 40 years. I'm not much of a hockey fan either, but Bruins fans really deserve a cup...probably the most loyal fanbase in Boston imo.

I'm not bothered by the bruins success but the recent fad of saying bruins fans are the most loyal or that they have the highest percentage of passionate fans really annoys me. First of all there is no way to quantify these claims so they are pretty meaningless. Secondly it is a slap in the face of all Celtic fans who went through all of those terrible years and stuck by the team. Especially to those of us born post banner 16.  Finally, I find it funny how I've heard way many more people make this claim about bruins fans than I've met actual bruins fans. Something doesn't make sense there

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2011, 10:37:25 PM »

Offline PierceMVP08

• Al Horford
If I could see the Celtics win Banner #18 next year only at the cost of the Bruins not winning a championship for another 30-40 years or whatever, I'd gladly do it.

Ouch, pretty harsh considering the Bruins haven't won in over 40 years. I'm not much of a hockey fan either, but Bruins fans really deserve a cup...probably the most loyal fanbase in Boston imo.

I'm not bothered by the bruins success but the recent fad of saying bruins fans are the most loyal or that they have the highest percentage of passionate fans really annoys me. First of all there is no way to quantify these claims so they are pretty meaningless. Secondly it is a slap in the face of all Celtic fans who went through all of those terrible years and stuck by the team. Especially to those of us born post banner 16.  Finally, I find it funny how I've heard way many more people make this claim about bruins fans than I've met actual bruins fans. Something doesn't make sense there

And I would also trade bruins championships for the next 30-40 years in exchange for banner 18. But nothing against the B's. I would also trade sox and pats championships. It's all about the celts for me. But luckily its not a zero sum game so we don't have to pick one or the other so ill pull for the B's

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2011, 10:39:34 PM »

Offline GranTur

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 68
  • Anti-NBA Hipster
Not at all. I love this group of Bruins.

GO BRUINS!!!!
"It's not how you play the game. It's whether you win or lose--that's my motto." -Larry Bird

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2011, 11:11:20 PM »

Offline ejk3489

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 215

Fair enough, and I'm not trying to imply that Celtics fans (or Sox/Patriots fans) are any less loyal...each fanbase has gone through its tough times.

And maybe you don't know any Bruins fans, but I know plenty that have stuck by this team through all the bad years, much like Celtics fans post 80's Big 3.

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2011, 11:27:28 PM »

Offline PierceMVP08

• Al Horford

Fair enough, and I'm not trying to imply that Celtics fans (or Sox/Patriots fans) are any less loyal...each fanbase has gone through its tough times.

And maybe you don't know any Bruins fans, but I know plenty that have stuck by this team through all the bad years, much like Celtics fans post 80's Big 3.

I don't doubt theyre there but I've definitely hears a ton of people say this and then follow up with they're not one of them. just seems kinda odd. and I wast referring only to you. I've heard a bunch of people say it.

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2011, 12:38:07 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

And I would also trade bruins championships for the next 30-40 years in exchange for banner 18. But nothing against the B's. I would also trade sox and pats championships. It's all about the celts for me. But luckily its not a zero sum game so we don't have to pick one or the other so ill pull for the B's

TP, lol exactly how I see it.

Celtics all day!

« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2011, 02:25:20 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Couldn't agree with you more Vinnie about the NHL still being a team game and that is what I love most about it.  The NBA is only about the players not the teams and no great proof is needed than how one players pending free agent decision can over shadow an NBA Finals between the leagues biggest rivals.  

I hate you David Stern for ruining what the game is all about and MJ too for being how this all got started.
You should blame Bird and Magic. Their star power saved the league when it was sinking into irrelevance.

It sounds like you were not around when Gretzky was playing.

You shouldn't confuse the marketing with the actual play. Stars get ratings, but you need to be a team to have success in the NBA.

« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2011, 10:53:37 AM »

Offline PierceMVP08

• Al Horford
Couldn't agree with you more Vinnie about the NHL still being a team game and that is what I love most about it.  The NBA is only about the players not the teams and no great proof is needed than how one players pending free agent decision can over shadow an NBA Finals between the leagues biggest rivals.  

I hate you David Stern for ruining what the game is all about and MJ too for being how this all got started.
You should blame Bird and Magic. Their star power saved the league when it was sinking into irrelevance.

It sounds like you were not around when Gretzky was playing.

You shouldn't confuse the marketing with the actual play. Stars get ratings, but you need to be a team to have success in the NBA.

Great point.  TP.  And I find it unfair to blame Jordan for the star treatment.  I dont remember him as much of a whine.  can't blame him if the refs put him on the line.

BTW... did he go to the line nearly as much as wade or Lebron?  The first guy i remember who whined his way to an incredible amount of shots was Allen Iverson.  The worst thing about it was that he got to the line on an incredible amount of JUMP SHOTS.  While Lebron and Wade get to the line a lot, at least its in the paint where a lot of contact takes place.  No way Iverson should have gotten to the line as much as he did.

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2011, 12:40:52 PM »

Offline mostofusrsad

• NCE
  • Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9
Not a Bruins fan but not bothered by it either.  I do find this team a bit hard to cheer for though; they just don't look like a championship team.  I was rooting for the B's last time they made the Cup finals with Neely, Bourque, Moog, Carter, Janney; a much more likeable cast of characters for sure.

I like the anonymous, scrappy underdog aspect of the team.  They're not a team that looks great on paper, but so far, so good.

I loved those old teams; Neely is my all-time favorite player, and of course Ray Bourque is and always will be the man.  However, this is a different type of team with its own unique identity, and I find myself rooting for them just as hard as with any Bruins team I've seen.

(Plus, if we win this series, in 20 years our fans will be talking about the greatness of Thomas, Chara, Bergeron, Horton, etc.)
what passes as scrappiness today pales in comparison to the Neely era...I can't stand the pussified sport of hockey anymore, and I used to LOVE watching the Bruins!

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2011, 01:09:26 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Well I really don't care much about hockey, but it doesn't bother me that the Bruins are in the finals.  I do wish the C's were there, but I am pretty much indifferent with regard to hockey.  For me, it's sorta like the Revolution being in the finals -- actually, not really, because I don't even know for sure if the Revolution have ever been in the finals (they have, right?).

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2011, 08:34:33 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Thanks for the spam, LETS GO BRUINS!!!
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2011, 08:48:33 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Well I really don't care much about hockey, but it doesn't bother me that the Bruins are in the finals.  I do wish the C's were there, but I am pretty much indifferent with regard to hockey.  For me, it's sorta like the Revolution being in the finals -- actually, not really, because I don't even know for sure if the Revolution have ever been in the finals (they have, right?).

For a few years the Revs were like the Buffalo Bills of MLS.  Haven't noticed much more about them in the last several years though.

As for the Bruins, I'm pretty fired up for Game 7.  Very confident that the Bruins will pull it together and smack the Canucks around to take home the Cup.
Yup