Author Topic: 2016 NBA Draft Thread  (Read 225235 times)

Re: 2016 NBA Draft Thread
« Reply #1575 on: June 23, 2016, 11:48:02 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2495
D-Jax

demetrius jackson? wow, i'd forgotten him, but he looks pretty good, surprised no-one too a flyer on him earlier.

makes me feel a little better.

i'll take a little step back form the ledge.

;)

« Reply #1576 on: June 23, 2016, 11:48:24 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
I haven't been right about a pick yet, although I guess I said they'd trade back from three and get Brown or Bender, but I'm calling Mamadou Ndiaye.  I actually watched him work out in a video and he had a decent little shot. 

Take a chance, he is 290 so not your typical 7'6" guy.

I'm all over that. Anytime you got a 7'6" guy out there, you take him in the 50s. The ultimate in risk/reward.

Mike

8'1"wingspan.   ;)

« Reply #1577 on: June 23, 2016, 11:48:26 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1213
I'm not thrilled with the way things turned out, but I think people are being way too hard on the Celtics.

I have no idea what the draft offers were, other than the fact that the Covington/Noel/24/26 rumor seems pretty solid. So we could have traded #3 for one year of Noel and filler (because nobody knew what would be left at 24 and 26). Then he's a FA. So if we want him that much, we can sign him then.

Jaylen Brown could be tremendous. He could also suck. But I'd rather have him than the one year of Noel and other stuff.

15 - I have no idea what to think of this guy. Can't grade it.

23 - If I had to guess now, I'd say that this will turn out to be the best value, given where we picked him up.

31&35 - Yup, very disappointing. I would have liked to have gotten more for those. Memphis won that trade.

It looks like they were so intent on the "killer trade" that they missed some opportunities, like the #8 from Sac. There clearly are things that went very wrong with this draft. But calling it an "F" draft is too far in the negative direction.

Mike

I look at Noel like I do Hayward: yeah, we could give up #3 to get him, but I think we have a good shot of signing him as a FA next year anyway.  The #3 shouldn't be traded for a 1 year rental of anyone that isn't a perennial all star

You're forgetting that we'll have to have ample cap-space for him, which isn't necessarily guaranteed, especially if we go after someone like Hayward, too. He'd also help in our pursuit of other players, too, because he is a very good defensive rim protector that has the potential to be elite.

We would need the space anyway, since it looks like he'll be payed way more than his cap hold
I'm bitter.

« Reply #1578 on: June 23, 2016, 11:49:17 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Are the kids asleep so that the adults can finally have a normal conversation about the draft?

hahaha TP.  This got me.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #1579 on: June 23, 2016, 11:49:35 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Sweet. I thought we might take him at 23 but I'm glad we didn't have to. Seems like a similar player to IT so it might be good to be around him.

« Reply #1580 on: June 23, 2016, 11:50:05 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Are the kids asleep so that the adults can finally have a normal conversation about the draft?

Nope, I'm still around
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #1581 on: June 23, 2016, 11:50:51 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
FWIW, Kevin O'Connor had Jackson 14th on his board. Great value at #45.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #1582 on: June 23, 2016, 11:50:55 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2715
Sweet. I thought we might take him at 23 but I'm glad we didn't have to. Seems like a similar player to IT so it might be good to be around him.

Outstanding pick at 45. Ainge did surprisingly well trading 31 and 35 for a future 1st , and still grabbing Jackson in this round.

« Reply #1583 on: June 23, 2016, 11:51:01 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 675
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Rumors are Jackson might be headed to Dallas.

« Reply #1584 on: June 23, 2016, 11:52:06 PM »

Offline CoachBS#1

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 31
No way, he's a keeper

« Reply #1585 on: June 23, 2016, 11:52:19 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
any idea what the return would be for the C's?

« Reply #1586 on: June 23, 2016, 11:52:24 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I'm not thrilled with the way things turned out, but I think people are being way too hard on the Celtics.

I have no idea what the draft offers were, other than the fact that the Covington/Noel/24/26 rumor seems pretty solid. So we could have traded #3 for one year of Noel and filler (because nobody knew what would be left at 24 and 26). Then he's a FA. So if we want him that much, we can sign him then.

Jaylen Brown could be tremendous. He could also suck. But I'd rather have him than the one year of Noel and other stuff.

23 - If I had to guess now, I'd say that this will turn out to be the best value, given where we picked him up.

31&35 - Yup, very disappointing. I would have liked to have gotten more for those. Memphis won that trade.

It looks like they were so intent on the "killer trade" that they missed some opportunities, like the #8 from Sac. There clearly are things that went very wrong with this draft. But calling it an "F" draft is too far in the negative direction.

Mike

I look at Noel like I do Hayward: yeah, we could give up #3 to get him, but I think we have a good shot of signing him as a FA next year anyway.  The #3 shouldn't be traded for a 1 year rental of anyone that isn't a perennial all star

You're forgetting that we'll have to have ample cap-space for him, which isn't necessarily guaranteed, especially if we go after someone like Hayward, too. He'd also help in our pursuit of other players, too, because he is a very good defensive rim protector that has the potential to be elite.

We would need the space anyway, since it looks like he'll be payed way more than his cap hold

That's the point of cap holds.  They give you a cap discount if you're signing a player for more than his cap hold, so you don't need the space.  So if Noel has a cap hold of $11 million and signs for $20 million, he'd only count on the cap for $11 million until we sign him.  This would let us effectively go over the cap by $9 million if we filled up the rest of our cap space first.

« Reply #1587 on: June 23, 2016, 11:53:30 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 555

Mike

That is actually an excellent way of looking at it. Why give up assets of great value for guys that we are very likely to be able to sign as free agents a year from now? We aren't winning it all this coming season anyway.
Noel will be an RFA so the Sixers will be able to match any offers.  I would have tried to get Noel, Covington and the lesser of the Sixers or King's 2019 1st for the #3 pick. 

« Reply #1588 on: June 23, 2016, 11:53:36 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2495

Nope, I'm still around

TP

never surrender

« Reply #1589 on: June 23, 2016, 11:53:40 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Demetrius Jackson a solid pick.

This mock had him going in the late 1st round:
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Demetrius-Jackson-7218/

Can shoot and score.  Quick first step.  Has athleticism and vertical.
At 6'1, not that tall for a guard, but has decent wingspan at 6'5.5".

D-Jax wasn't a need position pick. He's going to have to really fight for minutes with IT, AB, MS, and TR all ahead of him on the depth chart.