Author Topic: Jaylen Brown looks like a 2-way star  (Read 38244 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown looks like a 2-way star
« Reply #75 on: November 11, 2019, 12:17:54 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I know I might get hate for this but it has to be said: When you take into account athleticism and play style as well as height/ weight, does anyone else see elements of Michael jordan In brown?

I'm not saying he's the next MJ, but when I see brown dunking from near the free throw line, and his aggressive defense, you just get flashbacks it h
The way he so easily can get to the paint and now reliably finish with both hands is somewhat similar I think. His handle and polish is really solid now. Jimmy Butler took until his 4th year to become an All-Star, and Kawhi took until his 4th to become a widely recognised good player. Looks like JB has done the same.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #76 on: November 11, 2019, 01:43:35 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
I know I might get hate for this but it has to be said: When you take into account athleticism and play style as well as height/ weight, does anyone else see elements of Michael jordan In brown?

I'm not saying he's the next MJ, but when I see brown dunking from near the free throw line, and his aggressive defense, you just get flashbacks it h
The way he so easily can get to the paint and now reliably finish with both hands is somewhat similar I think. His handle and polish is really solid now. Jimmy Butler took until his 4th year to become an All-Star, and Kawhi took until his 4th to become a widely recognised good player. Looks like JB has done the same.

Recognition comes not just with performance but results. Cs need to keep winning for our guys to be recognized. But it should be said Brown, and Tatum are surely turning heads now specially with Hayward down again with an injury.

« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2019, 02:12:41 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

I think I compared him to another tar heel James Worthy last week. I am not ready to promote him to the other Michael Jordan the other tar heel just yet. MJ was unique because he had a certain charm you could even call it charisma on the court. He used it to his advantage against opponents so much that his friend Charles Barkley once called out team mates to stop falling for MJ's charm while he burned them over and over again.

« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2019, 02:38:08 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

I actually wanted to add that comparison in my post earlier on lol. TP.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2019, 02:40:32 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

I think I compared him to another tar heel James Worthy last week. I am not ready to promote him to the other Michael Jordan the other tar heel just yet. MJ was unique because he had a certain charm you could even call it charisma on the court. He used it to his advantage against opponents so much that his friend Charles Barkley once called out team mates to stop falling for MJ's charm while he burned them over and over again.
I just don't see the Worthy comparison. Worthy was a big forward who mainly operated in the mid-post, Jaylen is a 2/3 wing who slashes from the perimeter.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2019, 02:51:21 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
We will be relying on Jaylen even more now with Gordon's absence and it will be interesting to see how will he handle more usage.
His finishing and reading the game are so much improved.
Also, I am very encouraged by the way Jaylen is landing after jumping. It might sound strange, but prior to this year,  whenever he jumped I was worried he might land awkwardly. In fact, he injured himself on one such dunk attempt.

We could be having 4 guys averaging 19 ppg (18.9) by the time GH is back.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2019, 05:40:34 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
We will be relying on Jaylen even more now with Gordon's absence and it will be interesting to see how will he handle more usage.
Also, I am very encouraged by the way Jaylen is landing after jumping. It might sound strange, but prior to this year,  whenever he jumped I was worried he might land awkwardly. In fact, he injured himself on one such dunk attempt.

And the more important thing is that they're all above league average efficiency! This is huge for our offense because we're basically scoring 80 high efficiency points per game based on the pure scoring ability of our core four, without even factoring in the additional offensive value they add via off ball movement, passing, shooting, offensive rebounding, etc.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2019, 09:26:55 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

And the more important thing is that they're all above league average efficiency! This is huge for our offense because we're basically scoring 80 high efficiency points per game based on the pure scoring ability of our core four, without even factoring in the additional offensive value they add via off ball movement, passing, shooting, offensive rebounding, etc.

Right now true shooting is Kemba at 58% (a career high), Hayward at 63.8%(!), Brown at 60.6% and Tatum at 54%. League average is typically around 55%, so Tatum is a little under water right now but he's been trending up and will get there. These four guys also have the 4 highest usage rates on the team.

« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2019, 02:40:12 AM »

Offline ausbacker

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
I had reservations about extending Jaylen to the level Boston did but I've seen enough this season to realize it was a smart move. He's looking every bit the player we hoped he would become.

« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2019, 03:17:54 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
The way brown carried this team through the playoffs 2 years ago wasn't a fluke. He's a talented player.. He did great tonight against mavs

« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2019, 03:20:59 AM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
I think a more athletic Jimmy Butler is the best comp for him but if he was to continue growing Paul George comparison isn't out of the question in the future.

« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2019, 03:35:26 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Was I right or was I right?
Brown looks like a 2 way Allstar.
Defense, driving to the hole, patience, improved passing, good motor...I love it.

His contract looks absolutely great ATM.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2019, 03:50:05 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I think a more athletic Jimmy Butler is the best comp for him but if he was to continue growing Paul George comparison isn't out of the question in the future.
I'm not sure if there's even really a comparison for him, his game is in a pretty unique spot rn. He's not good enough at passing and ballhandling to be called a Jordan type, but he's bouncier and more athletic than our modern star wings. Maybe a bulkier '99 Frobe with less isolationist tendencies and a more team-friendly+modern (but less potent self creator) game?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 05:29:23 AM by Somebody »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2019, 06:35:15 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I'm not sure if there's even really a comparison for him, his game is in a pretty unique spot rn. He's not good enough at passing and ballhandling to be called a Jordan type, but he's bouncier and more athletic than our modern star wings. Maybe a bulkier '99 Frobe with less isolationist tendencies and a more team-friendly+modern (but less potent self creator) game?
How about Andrew Wiggins? He ain't half bad this season averaging 25.5 points on 47.3% from the field. It seems he has improved his court vision as well averaging 3.3 assists (career high) and 1.5 turnover (career low).
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 06:42:15 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2019, 06:45:57 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
How about Andrew Wiggins? He ain't half bad this season averaging 25.5 points on 47.3% from the field. It seems he has improved his court vision as well averaging 3.3 assists (career high) and 1.5 turnover (career low).
I don't know about that comparison. They're really hard to compare in terms of efficiency, rebounding, defence and even simple shot attempts.

Wiggins is finally looking like the guy he was going to be from 2016-17 onward. He should be an all-time great with that athletic profile alongside his skills.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)