Author Topic: Jaylen Brown looks like a 2-way star  (Read 38089 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown looks like a 2-way star
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2019, 11:56:36 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
That play where he took the ball at the top of the key, dribbled between his legs then behind his back, went left to use a pick, saw Aldridge switching stopped, started up and powered around Aldridge for the left hand layup, is something that few can do at that speed and something Jaylen was incapable of 2 years ago.

His year on year growth has been tremendous(discounting his first 20 games last year when he was playing hurt). As someone said, if Brown continues on with this type of season and grows his game again next summer, many will probably have to re-evaluate his ceiling. Maybe an All-NBA recognition or three will be in his future.

« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2019, 12:09:55 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
Also pretty happy to see him improving his Free throws. Last few years I might have hesitated to have him on the court at the end of the games due to his poor FT percentage. Keeps this up and Stevens won’t have that worry.

« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2019, 12:48:12 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
That play where he took the ball at the top of the key, dribbled between his legs then behind his back, went left to use a pick, saw Aldridge switching stopped, started up and powered around Aldridge for the left hand layup, is something that few can do at that speed and something Jaylen was incapable of 2 years ago.

His year on year growth has been tremendous(discounting his first 20 games last year when he was playing hurt). As someone said, if Brown continues on with this type of season and grows his game again next summer, many will probably have to re-evaluate his ceiling. Maybe an All-NBA recognition or three will be in his future.

I think you might be right. He just turned 23.

A core of Tatum and Brown looks like a solid basis for a perennial contender. They’re complementary, play the team game on both ends, and Jayson is even younger than Jaylen.

Also pretty happy to see him improving his Free throws. Last few years I might have hesitated to have him on the court at the end of the games due to his poor FT percentage. Keeps this up and Stevens won’t have that worry.

Also getting to the line more often: his Free Throw Rate is currently at a very healthy .358 (that’s FT attempts per FG attempt) - even with his big uptick in FG attempts.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2019, 02:25:42 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81

This is the stat that pleases me the most. While he’s getting more minutes than last year, it’s his improved FT % that probably accounts most for his uptick in four more ppg this year. 

« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2019, 02:48:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

This is the stat that pleases me the most. While he’s getting more minutes than last year, it’s his improved FT % that probably accounts most for his uptick in four more ppg this year.
Brown is scoring 5.8 points more per game than last year, not 4. He is scoring exactly 2 points more per game due to free throws made per game. If Brown was shooting FTs at a rate of 66%, his career rate, he would still be scoring 1.4 more points per game due to just taking more FTs.

Jaylen is scoring 3.8 points per game more from the field than he did last year. Again, a small percentage of that is due to more efficient shooting but most of it is just taking more shots.

The major reason for his uptick in points is simply because he is playing a much larger role offensively and taking more shots. Yes, better efficiency helps but not nearly as much as taking 2.7 more shots a game and 2.1 more FTs a game.

« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2019, 02:56:22 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Small sample size is important here.  He went 9-10 yesterday, which bumped his season number from 72% to 79%.  I’m hopeful it’s a sign of improvement, but a bad night or two could move him back down as quickly as he rose.

Still, it was nice seeing him go 9 of 10.

« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2019, 03:03:27 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81

Brown is scoring 5.8 points more per game than last year, not 4. He is scoring exactly 2 points more per game due to free throws made per game. If Brown was shooting FTs at a rate of 66%, his career rate, he would still be scoring 1.4 more points per game due to just taking more FTs.

Jaylen is scoring 3.8 points per game more from the field than he did last year. Again, a small percentage of that is due to more efficient shooting but most of it is just taking more shots.

The major reason for his uptick in points is simply because he is playing a much larger role offensively and taking more shots. Yes, better efficiency helps but not nearly as much as taking 2.7 more shots a game and 2.1 more FTs a game.

Well I guess I stand corrected. Ha!  I’d say this then, last night if he were shooting with last year’s FT% he’d have had 6 points from the line. So for last night his scoring difference was 3 from the line. Unless you want to get picky here and say that with last years’s % he would have had 6.58 points from the line last night.  :angel:

« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2019, 03:28:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Well I guess I stand corrected. Ha!  I’d say this then, last night if he were shooting with last year’s FT% he’d have had 6 points from the line. So for last night his scoring difference was 3 from the line. Unless you want to get picky here and say that with last years’s % he would have had 6.58 points from the line last night.  :angel:
No prob my man. TP. And yes, he would have scored less last night if shooting FTs at last year's pace, but you are dealing with quite the outlier as Jaylen shot 10 FTs, which he almost has never done, and hit 9, again something he might never have done before.

As salty said above, we are dealing with a ridiculously small sample size with Jaylen. My guess is his 3PT% will regress back to Jaylen's normal mid to high 30's. My guess is Jaylen regresses somewhere back towards 50% or less from the field. And my final guess is he won't be shooting 9 for 10 from the line a whole lot this year, as well.

I do have hope that he keeps up this efficiency. The eye tests seems to be that he is just taking more high quality shots and making them. And his FT stroke looks excellent. As long as he does that, I have faith he will.

« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2019, 04:11:47 PM »

Offline greenrunsdeep41

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 152
The two things that really stand out to me concerning JB is that he is making far more passes that make sense this year, while also being almost unstoppable going to the rim. I think we may see more of this foul drawing as the season goes on, the dude is imposing physically. As he continues to build confident in his "feel" we may see a true breakout. The refs were clearly taking notice last night, thats a great sign.

Secondary point, lets start a thread talking about how much Tatum whines. I love the dude but shut up and be more physical if you want to get more calls.

Anyway, freakin love this team. The Gordo injury is a real bummer but it doesnt look too bad!

Also, upon further review, JB is on pace for a 8 win share season. Thats daddy.
2019 Historical Draft - Golden State

C - Bill Russell/Joel Embiid
PF - Giannis Antetokounmpo/Tommy Heinsohn
SF - Kevin Durant/Billy Cunningham
SG - Bruce Bowen/David Thompson
PG - Isiah Thomas/James Harden

« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2019, 08:33:52 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
The increase in free throw percentage (79% vs 66%) is very pleasing.  As is Brown's matured play near the rim.  He knows how to get into open pockets and get an easy 2 point opportunity by either turning on the jets and slipping in that quick layup or just maneuvering for the easy short 2 point bucket in the painted area.

My only concern is that Brown's 3 point form has seemingly regressed.  He was a 40% shooter from 3 just 2 seasons ago but only 26% this year so far.  I feel he is going to settle in around a 35% 3 point shooting clip, which can be ok as long as the rest of his game continues to improve.  Marcus Smart has settled into around 35% from 3 and we can see that can be very effective as long as he is taking wide open 3s and not forcing them up. 

« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2019, 09:02:53 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
The increase in free throw percentage (79% vs 66%) is very pleasing.  As is Brown's matured play near the rim.  He knows how to get into open pockets and get an easy 2 point opportunity by either turning on the jets and slipping in that quick layup or just maneuvering for the easy short 2 point bucket in the painted area.

My only concern is that Brown's 3 point form has seemingly regressed.  He was a 40% shooter from 3 just 2 seasons ago but only 26% this year so far.  I feel he is going to settle in around a 35% 3 point shooting clip, which can be ok as long as the rest of his game continues to improve.  Marcus Smart has settled into around 35% from 3 and we can see that can be very effective as long as he is taking wide open 3s and not forcing them up.

He's 5-19, its way too small a sample size to draw any conclusion from shooting wise from three. If he's made two more he'd be shooting 37%. On the downside the FT sample size is also small, too soon to say he's improved massively.

« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2019, 09:36:42 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
The two things that really stand out to me concerning JB is that he is making far more passes that make sense this year, while also being almost unstoppable going to the rim. I think we may see more of this foul drawing as the season goes on, the dude is imposing physically. As he continues to build confident in his "feel" we may see a true breakout. The refs were clearly taking notice last night, thats a great sign.

Secondary point, lets start a thread talking about how much Tatum whines. I love the dude but shut up and be more physical if you want to get more calls.

Anyway, freakin love this team. The Gordo injury is a real bummer but it doesnt look too bad!

It isn't just making normal reads, he's been much better at making advanced passes that exploits gaps in the defense. These are signs of a superstar in the making if he keeps it up.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2019, 11:16:06 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I know I might get hate for this but it has to be said: When you take into account athleticism and play style as well as height/ weight, does anyone else see elements of Michael jordan In brown?

I'm not saying he's the next MJ, but when I see brown dunking from near the free throw line, and his aggressive defense, you just get flashbacks it h

« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2019, 11:41:52 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I know I might get hate for this but it has to be said: When you take into account athleticism and play style as well as height/ weight, does anyone else see elements of Michael jordan In brown?

I'm not saying he's the next MJ, but when I see brown dunking from near the free throw line, and his aggressive defense, you just get flashbacks it h

yes, I have thought the same thing at times too.

« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2019, 11:49:34 PM »

Offline greenrunsdeep41

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 152

It isn't just making normal reads, he's been much better at making advanced passes that exploits gaps in the defense. These are signs of a superstar in the making if he keeps it up.

You said it better than I did. TP. I’ve been totally in on JB, I’m loving this.

And I agree, his body type is MJ/Kobe. He is my favorite player and I’m so glad he has been signed up.
2019 Historical Draft - Golden State

C - Bill Russell/Joel Embiid
PF - Giannis Antetokounmpo/Tommy Heinsohn
SF - Kevin Durant/Billy Cunningham
SG - Bruce Bowen/David Thompson
PG - Isiah Thomas/James Harden