Author Topic: Did we dodge some bullets?  (Read 3761 times)

Did we dodge some bullets?
« on: February 12, 2020, 04:21:40 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Isaiah Thomas with his injury and back up the truck
Al Horford's large contract and age
Kyrie Irving his contract, questionable personality and  injury prone
Horford=Theis, Kanter, Williams and we pay Jaylen.

Isaiah to Kyrie==equals Kemba ==equals team leader
Horfords contract to Hayward and his playmaking

Looks like the Celtics dodged some franchise altering bombs

Re: Did we dodge some bullets?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 05:47:11 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Yes. addition by subtraction. The kyrie trade was a small success iN a way because it got IT out the door in a justified way instead of straight up not offering him a contract.

Don’t think we were ever interested in signing Horford so we lowballed him and didn’t give the years he wanted. He was already looking bad at times his final year here.

Kemba is a very good player who I never really paid much attention to. But Now it is clear he is a very underrated player on both ends of the floor and has great leadership qualities as well.

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 05:50:35 AM »

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
I suspect we paid plenty in kind for Isaiah's injury with Kyrie's poison and Hayward's leg, so so far we've really only dodged Horford.  And he's paying for that himself by being stuck in Philly.

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 09:15:42 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Yes Rollie we dodged those bullets...and thank goodness Danny was turned down on that Winslow deal.  That's probably at the top of my all-time list.

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 09:35:35 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
I was wrong on these personally. Despite his performance versus the bucks and last years chemistry issues I wanted Irving back. I thought Morris and rosier were more the real bad apples as teammates. While some of the stuff was situational and also on Danny and brad, it is clear to me this year that Irving was a bigger problem than I thought based off his actions in Brooklyn.
I also did really want Horford back and thought he would be a good deal as high as 3 for 60 (he has looked a lot slower, maybe it is injuries like the rumored Achilles, but that stuff tends to happen at his age). I think even at 20 a year als deal would be haunting us in year three now when Tatum and brown will be peak prime. (At the 76ers price it is a disaster).

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 10:00:05 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
There is no doubt we dodged some scary bullets and Danny is surely born under a lucky star. Giving Big Al, a 33 year old player over 100M for 4 years would have been disastrous to our future. Thankfully there was a team out there dumb enough to overvalue him. He is a good player worth a good contract, not an insane one!

Kyrie bolting for Brooklyn is definitely another bullet we dodged. He still has not shown anyone he can be a leader and the cost to retain him would have been leader money. He plays all out on the court and does seem to get many freak injuries as well as strong one's. In hindsight, his personality just did not fit well with our youth and he did not know how to lead them on to better days.

IT gave up his body for our chances in the playoffs and as a result, did severe damage to himself. A max contract for the result of that loyalty and dedication and heart for us would have set our team back for years. Heartless trade but one that was made one thousand percent business sense for our franchise.

Who is more lucky? Danny or us Celtics Fans?

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 12:20:57 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
There is no doubt we dodged some scary bullets and Danny is surely born under a lucky star. Giving Big Al, a 33 year old player over 100M for 4 years would have been disastrous to our future. Thankfully there was a team out there dumb enough to overvalue him. He is a good player worth a good contract, not an insane one!

Kyrie bolting for Brooklyn is definitely another bullet we dodged. He still has not shown anyone he can be a leader and the cost to retain him would have been leader money. He plays all out on the court and does seem to get many freak injuries as well as strong one's. In hindsight, his personality just did not fit well with our youth and he did not know how to lead them on to better days.

IT gave up his body for our chances in the playoffs and as a result, did severe damage to himself. A max contract for the result of that loyalty and dedication and heart for us would have set our team back for years. Heartless trade but one that was made one thousand percent business sense for our franchise.

Who is more lucky? Danny or us Celtics Fans?

IT's last season with us was unbelievable.  He carried the team taking and making countless big shots while maintaining high scoring efficiency.  The season was right up there in the discussion of all time single season performances by any Celtic.  All while playing through a serious injury.

But do we really know that he did additional damage to himself by playing out the season and playoffs?  I am not saying that I know one way or the other but I don't think you can assume that if he had shut it down, he would be back at 100% or even back to something better than he is now.

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 12:48:27 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Yes Rollie we dodged those bullets...and thank goodness Danny was turned down on that Winslow deal.  That's probably at the top of my all-time list.
"dodge some bullets" makes it sound like we got lucky.  I don't think that's the case.  Ainge is a very talented GM/prez and he purposely avoided the bad deals. I give hi mthat much credit. On the Winslow deal, however, I got the impression that Ainge was pushing for the deal, so if that's the case, he definitely dodged a bullet.

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 07:52:12 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
"dodge some bullets" makes it sound like we got lucky.  I don't think that's the case.  Ainge is a very talented GM/prez and he purposely avoided the bad deals. I give hi mthat much credit. On the Winslow deal, however, I got the impression that Ainge was pushing for the deal, so if that's the case, he definitely dodged a bullet.

It isn't necessarily true that the Winslow deal was really all that deadly of a bullet, though.

The retelling of that story has grown the offering price to be four super-high value 1st round draft picks (basically all of our BKN picks).   But at the time, the actual reporting was just "4 picks".   And Danny had a HUGE supply of draft picks at the time of a wide, wide range of value. 

The actual offered package most likely would have been a mix of values.   Probably our first that year (Rozier) plus one future BKN pick and then a couple of lesser picks.   Maybe the package was even weaker than that and that's why it got turned down?

And ya, if that hypothetical future BKN pick was either the Jaylen or Jayson picks, then yeah, that would have hurt.  But it also might have been the Sexton pick.   And maybe Winslow turns out different in a different environment.  Who knows?

I just don't think that deal would have really been the 'bullet' that killed our future.   Things would have worked out different, but not necessarily a disaster.

All that said - like everyone else I'm also glad in retrospect that Danny didn't end up making that deal.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 08:24:28 PM »

Offline Scottiej23

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 214

It isn't necessarily true that the Winslow deal was really all that deadly of a bullet, though.

The retelling of that story has grown the offering price to be four super-high value 1st round draft picks (basically all of our BKN picks).   But at the time, the actual reporting was just "4 picks".   And Danny had a HUGE supply of draft picks at the time of a wide, wide range of value. 

The actual offered package most likely would have been a mix of values.   Probably our first that year (Rozier) plus one future BKN pick and then a couple of lesser picks.   Maybe the package was even weaker than that and that's why it got turned down?

And ya, if that hypothetical future BKN pick was either the Jaylen or Jayson picks, then yeah, that would have hurt.  But it also might have been the Sexton pick.   And maybe Winslow turns out different in a different environment.  Who knows?

I just don't think that deal would have really been the 'bullet' that killed our future.   Things would have worked out different, but not necessarily a disaster.

All that said - like everyone else I'm also glad in retrospect that Danny didn't end up making that deal.

Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen anything even remotely confirming it was four first round picks. Given Danny's shrewd trading history it's hard to believe that the offer was that, or anything close to it. Four draft picks? Maybe, but not four first rounders, never beleived it.

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 08:37:25 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

Yup the Winslow deal would have cost us dearly.  And Winslow isn't even a very good NBA player.

Instead we have Jaylen Brown locked up now and Tatum in his first all-star game.  I'm glad we hung onto the two Jays.  They are not worth the price of an AD rental only to see him bolt to the Lakers next year for no compensation.

It's too bad that Lebron is allowed to tamper for the Lakers with no consequences though.  Lakers should at least be stripped of a 1st round pick for the obvious tampering.

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2020, 03:03:23 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
Sticking with Hayward and staying the course and dodging the Trader Danny bullet supported by the fans chorus of trade for a big.

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2020, 04:02:46 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Isaiah Thomas with his injury and back up the truck
Al Horford's large contract and age
Kyrie Irving his contract, questionable personality and  injury prone
Horford=Theis, Kanter, Williams and we pay Jaylen.

Isaiah to Kyrie==equals Kemba ==equals team leader
Horfords contract to Hayward and his playmaking

Looks like the Celtics dodged some franchise-altering bombs
TP Rollie, we sure did some dodging.
Let's also not forget the Fultz "Granade" dodging.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2020, 04:55:21 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
TP Androslav--forgot that grenade.