Author Topic: NCAA Tournament Thread  (Read 54253 times)

Re: NCAA Tournament Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2018, 07:18:39 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Amazing upset, but that loss only really kills your bracket if you had them in the final four
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2018, 07:37:00 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2018, 09:22:01 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I had VA picked to lose as they lost a player with a broken hand.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/virginias-deandre-hunter-to-miss-ncaa-tournament-because-of-broken-hand/2018/03/13/84cc3bca-2706-11e8-874b-d517e912f125_story.html

Didn't folks know this?

Deandre Hunter isn’t worth the difference between the #1 overall seed and a #16, though.

Congrats on your bracket.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2018, 09:46:44 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/virginias-deandre-hunter-to-miss-ncaa-tournament-because-of-broken-hand/2018/03/13/84cc3bca-2706-11e8-874b-d517e912f125_story.html

Didn't folks know this?

I think people know, it's just that it's still a #16 seed they are going in the first round. UMBC needed a buzzer beater to get into the tournament, they're not a strong group. Meanwhile, Virginia would have still been strong enough to beat them even without their top 6th man.

They just crumbled.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2018, 09:47:03 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Didn't folks know this?
UVAs whole starting lineup could be out and they should steal beat UMBC
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2018, 09:59:56 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Didn't folks know this?

I think people know, it's just that it's still a #16 seed they are going in the first round. UMBC needed a buzzer beater to get into the tournament, they're not a strong group. Meanwhile, Virginia would have still been strong enough to beat them even without their top 6th man.

They just crumbled.

I don’t think UVA knew what to do when an opponent individually started to beat their defense. That Lyles kid went into beast mode in the second half, and UVA seemed to get disheartened.

It was crazy watching the teams in the handshake line after the game. Looking at the height differences, it seemed like Varsity vs. the 6th grade team.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2018, 10:00:36 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
So #64 beats #1 biggest upset in sports' history?

I’m taking Miracle On Ice.  That was like a good college team taking down the Stanley Cup champions.

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2018, 10:35:15 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

I’m taking Miracle On Ice.  That was like a good college team taking down the Stanley Cup champions.

Yeah, that'll probably always be #1.

Buster Douglas over Mike Tyson has to be in the discussion for 2nd.  Tyson was absolutely invincible up 'til that point.   Douglas was like a 40-1 long shot.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2018, 12:13:08 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
The upset just happened, so it’s difficult to put it in perspective. Let’s not forget, this UMBC team was not the 64 ranked team in the country, but just in the tournament. I’m curious as to their national ranking going into the tournament. Also, 16 seeds were 0-135 before the game. It’s more likely than not, that we could see another run of 0-135 before we see another 16 seed win, which will make this upset even more impressive. The one thing Virginia had going for them, just like every other #1 seed before them, was they did not want to become the first and only #1 seed to lose in the first round.

What I found amazing was not what UMBC was doing, but rather what Virginia was not doing. Why was Virginia fixated on shooting from the outside, when they were obviously so much bigger? Do they not have anyone who can post up or drive to the basket? The one thing that was blowing my mind was why none of the Virginia players were attacking (via drives or post ups) the 5’8” 140 pound Maura.

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2018, 12:13:25 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Michael Porter early exit. Says he is going to consider returning. Hope he does. Good for us.

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2018, 12:24:40 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Buster Douglas over Mike Tyson has to be in the discussion for 2nd.  Tyson was absolutely invincible up 'til that point.   Douglas was like a 40-1 long shot.

I bet there have been some huge upsets / longshots in horse racing.

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2018, 12:31:38 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

I bet there have been some huge upsets / longshots in horse racing.

For sure.  Off the top of my head, Mine that Bird won the Kentucky Derby with some ridiculous odds.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2018, 12:39:46 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
I'm not old enough to remember the Miracle on Ice as I was only 4 but I do remember vividly Buster vs Tyson. Tyson was a monster almost unhuman and no one even heard of Buster Douglas to that point. He was just another tomato can Tyson could wow the crowd with.
ok fine

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2018, 01:20:58 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
One of the greztest upsets ever. As I was watching the game at the bar,5 minutes into the game, I told the group I was with that UMBC could really play defense and with UVAs bad offense, there could definitely be an upset. Why UVA didn't start clearing a side and have people post up Maura all game is beyond me. Kid is 5'6", 130 lbs. Great to watch the game though. Bar was electric.

« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2018, 03:19:14 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Saw a funny twitter post directed at Kansas St.  Something along the lines of just remember KSU, no #16 team has ever lost in the round of 32.  Hilarious.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip