Author Topic: Washington gets hosed by refs!!!  (Read 4389 times)

Washington gets hosed by refs!!!
« on: March 20, 2011, 08:53:45 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Here me out here.  I am from NC, but hate the Heels.  I have one daughter that is a jr. in chem. eng. at NC State and another daughter that is a freshman at UNC.

In the last minute or so, UNC got a goal-tending call to go their way.  On the replay, it sure looked like it was blocked just before hitting the glass, therefore a good block.  

Then they get SCREWED twice in the last 7 or so seconds.  Watch the replay on the Wash. guard's drive.  His lay up CLEARLY hit the glass prior to being blocked.  CLEARLY!!!!!!!

Then, as if to make sure that we all knew that UNC was playing this game in Charlotte and the refs were clearly bought off, as evidenced by the Heels shooting more than 3 times as many FT attempts, rather than putting the correct 1.2 seconds on the clock, they only gave the Huskies .5 seconds.

All three of these BLOWN calls could have been easily fixed by the refs simply reviewing them on the sideline.

All you Heel fans know that this one has "stink" all over it.

Smitty77

Re: Washington gets hosed by refs!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
Bring conspiracies into the college game now... ugh  ::).
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 09:18:55 PM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 75
Duke won due to ref help as well - although not quite as one-sided.

Amazing how the 2-3X ft margins end up affecting outcomes...

:'(

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 09:55:34 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Mike Dub,

Did you see the game? 

Smitty77

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 10:08:08 PM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101
not to mention the goaltending at the end that would have been just a two pointer but they don't even make that call. It reminded me a lot of how the celts blew game 7, first you screw up enough to allow the opponent back in, then you get screwed by the refs until its over.

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 10:29:00 PM »

Offline kevbo

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9
Question for Smitty: just to lay the cards on the table, which ACC team do you root for? My hunch is State, but I could be wrong. I'm a lifelong Heels fan AND a current UNC grad student, but far more obsessed with the Cs than anything else, just to let you know what my biases are (and our common ground).  Oh yeah, I picked U Dub to win that game in my (busted) bracket btw.

I agree that the refs in the second half of the game today were largely absent, especially down the stretch. I don't sniff the conspiracy that's asserted at in the OP tho. If any sort of UNC bias, the refs got swayed by the home crowd, which clearly UDub couldn't fight. But as the other poster pointed out, similar effect in the Duke game. It happens; refs are humans, and I think people get swayed by group energies. Why else who home vs. away matter in regular season games in any league? Plus we all know Duke has the market cornered on NCAA conspiracies (cough cough last season's regional draw ;) )

Another point: compared to the foul fest that NBA games devolve into, the UNC UDub game was entertaining and up and down. Regardless of how it ended, it was far more fun to watch then a lot of NBA games where the action gets bogged down by FTs. While imperfect, I'd rather have less reffing than more...

P.S.: Congrats to both your daughters btw: hoops rivalries aside, both are great public universities.

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 10:58:39 PM »

Offline kevbo

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9
Oh yeah, to my last point about less reffing than more...an interesting post by Bob Ryan about the Pitt-Butler game: http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/bob_ryan_blog/2011/03/pitt-butler_ref.html

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 11:14:05 PM »

Offline BUTerrier

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 53
Here's the thing, Smitty: I'm not saying UW didn't get hosed by the refs, but on the final shot the guard's foot was pretty clearly on the line, meaning that the shot was only a 2-pointer and wouldn't have covered the deficit anyway even if they called goaltending on Henson (which they should have).

That being said, I did my law school at Marquette, and my fiancee graduated from the engineering school, so I recommend you root like hell for the Golden Eagles to beat UNC on Friday. You know, for karma's sake, not because I have a vested interest in the outcome or anything :-)

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 12:05:42 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
I guess a team can't shoot more freethrows because they went to the basket more.  That's not a possible outcome is it?
do it

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 12:52:56 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
What do you expect? College refs are mostly inferior versions of pro refs. The best was the St John's win against Rutgers in the Big East tournament where a St John's player ran 4 steps holding the ball, with 2 steps clearly out of bounds before he threw the ball into the stands to celebrate with almost 2 seconds left.

Being a ref is very difficult. This is why they miss so many calls. Fans just need to deal with it or watch a slow moving sport where nothing happens like baseball. Wait, nevermind. Home plate umpires are even worse with balls and strikes.