Author Topic: I just can't get into College Basketball  (Read 5761 times)

I just can't get into College Basketball
« on: March 20, 2011, 10:42:20 AM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
The NCAA tournament is going on, and everyone is talking about upsets, buzzer beaters, NBA players rooting for their alma mater, etc.

But I have no interest in it. All those heralded players coming out of college never pan out to bet that great. I hate putting so much emotion and energy into players that might be bench warmers when they get into the NBA

The college game is so different than the NBA. NCAA is all about playing to your strengths, giving the best chance for you to succeed. NBA is all about exposing your weakness and constant scouting to try to make you ineffective as a player

I really don't want to put all of my emotion in a future Christian Leatner, Harold Miner, or the great Adam Morrision

Re: I just can't get into College Basketball
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 10:49:32 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I really don't want to put all of my emotion in a future Christian Leatner, Harold Miner, or the great Adam Morrision

I can love them as college players, and not care a hoot about them as pro players.  Just view it as two related, but different, sports.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 10:54:17 AM »

Offline dasani

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 32
well it aint for everyone.

how is this celtics related?

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 11:37:07 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
College basketball is agonizing for me to watch.  Here's a list of things I can't stand about it:

-The shot clock is way too long
-zone defenses that just shift back and forth
-subpar players
-After 40 seconds of swinging the ball around the perimeter the best shot often times is a desperation drive into the paint and a shot with 4 defenders on the guy.
-The referees are actually much worse than the NBA's

Whenever someone tells me "but college basketball is so much better because they're not rich guys playing for money, they play hard, aren't as talented as nba players, but they do it for the love of the game", I simply respond "if that's what I really wanted to see then I'd go watch the local T-Ball team play.  Those kids love the game, try hard, and work on fundamentals."

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 11:46:36 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Seriously, I am counting down the days when they can stop wasting time on college basketball and start focusing on the end of the NBA season and the beginning of MLB. I know we are 'supposed' to be into college sports because the media tells us to, but I think it's because they have an infinite amount of cheaper games to put on television.

College basketball and football are as boring to me as NASCAR and, frankly, I think it makes these kids think they are bigger stars than they really are.

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 12:18:44 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
Seriously, I am counting down the days when they can stop wasting time on college basketball and start focusing on the end of the NBA season and the beginning of MLB. I know we are 'supposed' to be into college sports because the media tells us to, but I think it's because they have an infinite amount of cheaper games to put on television.

College basketball and football are as boring to me as NASCAR and, frankly, I think it makes these kids think they are bigger stars than they really are.

+1 Great Point
It is boring. And dominating in college never means you're gonna be successful in the NBA. Personally, I wait until after your rookie season in the pros to see if you are really that good of a player

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 12:26:37 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Its huge because it's more locally involved.
I think of all NBA fan bases boston's is never going to get a huge amount of college fans because there frankly aren't any good local teams. Boston College are okay but yeah...
Every alumni gets involved because it reminds people of some of the greatest times of their lives supporting their college team with their young friends when the world was a little simpler.

It really is about the hustle and the love of the game for these kids.
I think a really good example of this is Lebron James' 'decision'. College bball fans hate stuff like that even more so than the average nba fan, you don't have to worry about garbage like that happening in the NCAA (for the most part).
It's also alot more likely that the underdogs get a real shot at upsetting the big boys unlike the NBA which is completely dominated by 3-4 good teams and the rest are just there to make up the numbers.

I too am not the biggest college bball fan but I can appreciate why so many people love it.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 01:09:51 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
i played (small) college basketball and have grown less interested in the game over the years.

it's boring - very boring. why ? because since the 3-point shot and the shot clock have been added, every single college team out there looks like every other college team. they all play the same style. it's a bunch of stepford teams. i know some teams have better inside play and some have a stronger perimeter game, but basically i just see homogeneity.

add in that the style itself these days is very ugly. the game is played with the dribble and on the edge of a turnover or a foul, rather than the fluid move-the ball-with-the-pass and players-move-without-the-ball style we saw in the 70's and 80's. a beautiful game to watch and play.

now college football is a whole different matter.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 01:49:59 PM »

Offline bballdog384

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
  • Rondolope
I'm currently living in the Syracuse area, and it is much different than Boston. Here, we don't have any local professional sports teams (closest is Buffalo Bills...ew).

All we have to root for is Syracuse basketball, and maybe a little bit of football thrown in. And the Celtics, of course.
"You can't play like a robot" -Coach Stevens

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 07:27:58 PM »

Offline HOFer

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
Its huge because it's more locally involved.
I think of all NBA fan bases boston's is never going to get a huge amount of college fans because there frankly aren't any good local teams. Boston College are okay but yeah...
Every alumni gets involved because it reminds people of some of the greatest times of their lives supporting their college team with their young friends when the world was a little simpler.

It really is about the hustle and the love of the game for these kids.
I think a really good example of this is Lebron James' 'decision'. College bball fans hate stuff like that even more so than the average nba fan, you don't have to worry about garbage like that happening in the NCAA (for the most part).
It's also alot more likely that the underdogs get a real shot at upsetting the big boys unlike the NBA which is completely dominated by 3-4 good teams and the rest are just there to make up the numbers.

I too am not the biggest college bball fan but I can appreciate why so many people love it.

very good points. it just depends on what you're interested in. I follow the NBA much much much more closely than college bball. i'll watch it locally, but that's about the extent besides catching some UK games
Which one of you is playing for second place?

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 08:05:15 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I used to be a huge college fan.  The college game definitely has some things that make it good IMO.

The loyalty.  I think people who attend a particular college feel a lot more connected to the college, than people who live in a city where a professional sports team is played.  Also look at the followings.  How many Celtics fans travel to different cities for playoff games?  I've  been to the Big East tournament and the first 2 rounds of the NCAA before.  You have tons of fans from all over traveling to support their team, you don't see that in the NBA (and I'm not talking just college kids, I've probably seen adults do this just as much).  If you're not a sports fan and grew up in Boston and now attend BC, I think you feel a lot more loyalty to BC then the Celtics.  You'll always be an alumni of your school, you don't always have to be a fan of whatever professional sports team.  Which helps lead to the energy. 

The Energy.  Nothing beats the crowds at the home courts for those with teams with the most loyal followings.  Even watching on tv you can just feel the energy, especially at a big game.  Flat out, crowd energy makes a better experience.  An exciting game in an empty arena, it's still an exciting game, but that same game in a packed arena with the crowd going crazy takes up the viewing experience about a hundred levels higher.  Even if your team stinks, the current students will keep the place rocking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2C-dL1lLpI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30m0UNTz9ho

Think how much cooler a Celtics game would be if EVERYONE dressed in green, and the crowds got this crazy.

The Rankings/Polls.  I think the drama with the rankings/polls helps make the game exciting.  Who will be #1 this week?  How many spots will Team X fall after their upset loss?  Even though the polls doesn't really determine anything, it makes it more exciting.  The NBA on the other hand, nobody really cares too much about the standings.  Oh the Bulls overtook the Celtics for first in the East, San Antonio has been #1 for X straight weeks.  Nobody really cares.  The closest we get to this is somebody's power rankings.

Every game matters, anything can happen  If one of the top teams in the NCAA loses any game, conference or non-conference, it's a big deal.  If the Celtics, Lakers, Spurs, etc. lose a January game to the Raptors, it's an afterthought.  Plus the single elimination conference and national tournaments mean you can't really afford to take a game off.  Anything can happen.

I think these are why people are so into the college game.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 08:15:06 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Although I just listed some points on why I think the college game is great.  I think it suffers now, and one of the main reasons I've lost interest is because of so many players leaving early.  It's hard to get attached when a player has one great season over 30 games and then goes to the NBA.

Even the non-superstar players leave early.  Look how we all loved Perk, and hated so much to see him go.  Now compare that to when PJ Brown left/retired  after playing only 43 games.

It's hard to follow teams when the main players come and go so quickly.

Getting 3-4 seasons out of a player helps you get real attached to them.  Getting 1-2 seasons, not so much.  And you feel so much more attached to a team when you know who all the players are.  Again I think about the Perkins trade.  For a causal Celtics fan that somewhat follows the team but not real closely, they could turn on a game now and be like who are these guys?  Not the same guys I've been rooting for since 2007.  And this is what has contributed to me losing interest in the college game.  Although many people will say they root for the team and not the players, it's much harder to do this when their is a revolving door of players who you've never heard of continually coming and going.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 08:28:17 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 08:16:05 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
I used to be a huge college fan.  The college game definitely has some things that make it good IMO.

The loyalty.  I think people who attend a particular college feel a lot more connected to the college, than people who live in a city where a professional sports team is played.  Also look at the followings.  How many Celtics fans travel to different cities for playoff games?  I've  been to the Big East tournament and the first 2 rounds of the NCAA before.  You have tons of fans from all over traveling to support their team, you don't see that in the NBA (and I'm not talking just college kids, I've probably seen adults do this just as much).  If you're not a sports fan and grew up in Boston and now attend BC, I think you feel a lot more loyalty to BC then the Celtics.  You'll always be an alumni of your school, you don't always have to be a fan of whatever professional sports team.  Which helps lead to the energy. 

The Energy.  Nothing beats the crowds at the home courts for those with teams with the most loyal followings.  Even watching on tv you can just feel the energy, especially at a big game.  Flat out, crowd energy makes a better experience.  An exciting game in an empty arena, it's still an exciting game, but that same game in a packed arena with the crowd going crazy takes up the viewing experience about a hundred levels higher.  Even if your team stinks, the current students will keep the place rocking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2C-dL1lLpI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30m0UNTz9ho

Think how much cooler a Celtics game would be if EVERYONE dressed in green, and the crowds got this crazy.

The Rankings/Polls.  I think the drama with the rankings/polls helps make the game exciting.  Who will be #1 this week?  How many spots will Team X fall after their upset loss?  Even though the polls doesn't really determine anything, it makes it more exciting.  The NBA on the other hand, nobody really cares too much about the standings.  Oh the Bulls overtook the Celtics for first in the East, San Antonio has been #1 for X straight weeks.  Nobody really cares.  The closest we get to this is somebody's power rankings.

Every game matters, anything can happen  If one of the top teams in the NCAA loses any game, conference or non-conference, it's a big deal.  If the Celtics, Lakers, Spurs, etc. lose a January game to the Raptors, it's an afterthought.  Plus the single elimination conference and national tournaments mean you can't really afford to take a game off.  Anything can happen.

I think these are why people are so into the college game.
I agree with a lot of what you said, and I totally get why people who are still in to it are fanatical. However, compared to college ball in the 80's-90's, and even early 2000's, I feel that the overall talent in college has dropped off--kids just don't stay in school long enough.