Author Topic: Uconn wins 89 straight  (Read 17370 times)

Re: Uconn wins 89 straight
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2010, 01:19:21 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
To me this speaks to the significant differences between the men's game and the women's game, and where they are in their respective development.

Early on, both NCAA Men's Basketball and the NBA had a lack of competitive depth...that's how it was possible for the Celtics to win so many championships in such a short time.  That's how it was possible for players like Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain to absolutely dominate.  They were very good teams / players, but they also didn't have as much competition as modern players face.

Would any of us diminish Russell's 11 rings or all of the championships the Celtics won back when the league was smaller and the game was less popular?  Of course not.  At the same time, though, we recognize that those accomplishments wouldn't be possible today because the game is different and have to be viewed with that in mind.

Women's basketball just isn't there yet in terms of developing competitive depth and a larger group of stars.  As it is now, one really well run program with a superstar (Maya Moore) who does things no other female player in her sport can do will win every single game they play.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 01:27:41 PM by PosImpos »
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

Re: Uconn wins 89 straight
« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2010, 02:46:59 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
It's sad that because of the ways men and women approach the game are different that anybody would diminish the UCONN accomplishment compared to the UCLA accomplishment.  

The women aren't competing against men and the men aren't competing against women.  UCONN's games aren't competitive because Auriemma, through his program's success, recruits the best players.  His teams are clearly more prepared, more motivated, and better coached.  Just like Wooden's were.

I think it's more the media comparing the two saying that UCONN beat the UCLA record. I think what some of us are saying is that they didn't do that. They broke a women's basketball record a while ago and have continued that streak.

How is it even compared to Men's basketball, they don't even use the same size ball. It's like comparing a softball team with a baseball team. It doesn't make any sense.