Author Topic: Uconn wins 89 straight  (Read 17371 times)

Re: Uconn wins 89 straight
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2010, 06:09:15 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
I see. Thank you.

So, if we preference our glee and congratulations with something such as "UConn women broke the record for the longest winning streak in college basketball" all is good.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2010, 06:27:04 PM »

Offline dpaps

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88
These girls should be very proud of what they've accomplished.  But Auriema's press conference made me despise him even that much more. Probably my least favorite person in sports whos not on the Lakers, Yankees, or Jets.

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2010, 06:37:05 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I see. Thank you.

So, if we preference our glee and congratulations with something such as "UConn women broke the record for the longest winning streak in college basketball" all is good.

They had already broken the record womens college basketball.  They did not break the record for men's college basketball because they do not play men's basketball.  They are different sports. 

You look at last years run by cornell in the tournament or Kansas loosing early on to what, North dakota state or something?  Do you really think that a team not in the top 25 has the talent to upset uconn?  no they don't.  a team outside the top 3 doesnt have the talent to beat uconn.  There is absolutely no comparison.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2010, 06:41:41 PM »

Offline Rondo9dunx

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 4
Who cares? :P

I mean, aside from women who play basketball, who cares?

I'll admit that hockey is makin a comeback, soccer is becoming more popular. But i'm not ready to start caring about women's college basketball. I dont even care about the WNBA.
Andy Bernard doesnt lose constests. He wins them, or he quits them because they're unfair.

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2010, 06:52:03 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Good for them but its a different game.  Do we compare softball and baseball?

I respect the accomplishment but, imo, you can't compare this to the UCLA record. They're two separate things.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2010, 06:54:52 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
For reference,

the recruits that have signed to uconn for this year have their positions named,

W(wing)
G(Guard)
P(Post)

Last year they recruited a

PG(Point Guard)
G(Guard)
W(wing)
P(Post)
F(Forward)
Now tell me this is the same game....
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2010, 06:58:06 PM »

Offline KobeShesNotConsenting!

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 132
eh, whatever. The streak is nice. But it doesn't impress me cus it's girls ball. Plain and simple

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2010, 07:01:20 PM »

Offline dpaps

• Jaylen Brown
How many boy's high school basketball teams could beat Uconn women's? A very very very very high number of them.

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2010, 07:32:32 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
How many boy's high school basketball teams could beat Uconn women's? A very very very very high number of them.

I always said (Which didnt make me very popular with the girls, especially in highschool) The best boys highschool team in the country would dominate the wnba all stars in a game.

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2010, 07:36:09 PM »

Offline dpaps

• Jaylen Brown

I always said (Which didnt make me very popular with the girls, especially in highschool) The best boys highschool team in the country would dominate the wnba all stars in a game.

DOMINATE. the girls game isn't above the rim. It's not even within 2 feet of the rim. the boys would get every rebound, block every shot inside, and the quickness and strength differential is just too much.

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2010, 07:47:38 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Does anybody really care about this?  

I do.  I think it is a really impressive feat, and much more impressive than some of the stuff that gets talked about on SportsCenter.
e.g.: It is much more impressive than Brett Favre being out of the game this past Monday, then being in it, then getting knocked out of it. 
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2010, 09:00:33 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Pretty impressive. They are the best in their respective league. But if they were to go up against a good men's high school basketball team, they'd get destroyed. just sayin'.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2010, 10:25:29 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
it's an impressive feat.

for those comparing it to UCLA's streak, it's not on the same level.  men's basketball is more balanced in talent where it's not the same 4-8 schools dominating the country every year.

for those saying a top high school boys team would dominate the Uconn women and even the WNBA all stars, I'm not so sure about that.  I've seen too many of the top men's college teams look absolutely clueless on the floor and beat other clueless men's teams based on superior athleticism.  Knock the women's game for their below-the-rim play but they're better in the fundamentals overall.  It'd be a match of athleticism against fundamentals to see who'd win.  I think the women would beat the HS teams and would beat a fair number of men's teams too.

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2010, 10:32:10 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Knock the women's game for their below-the-rim play but they're better in the fundamentals overall.  It'd be a match of athleticism against fundamentals to see who'd win.  I think the women would beat the HS teams and would beat a fair number of men's teams too.

I disagree.  Athleticism is about more than above-the-rim play.  It's speed, lateral quickness, endurance, strength, etc., etc.  I just don't think top women can compete with even average college male athletes in that regard.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2010, 10:46:22 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Knock the women's game for their below-the-rim play but they're better in the fundamentals overall.  It'd be a match of athleticism against fundamentals to see who'd win.  I think the women would beat the HS teams and would beat a fair number of men's teams too.

I disagree.  Athleticism is about more than above-the-rim play.  It's speed, lateral quickness, endurance, strength, etc., etc.  I just don't think top women can compete with even average college male athletes in that regard.
perhaps you watch more 'average' mens teams than I do Roy (which isn't much of a stretch) but the ones I've seen aren't solid fundamentally.  They don't have more than a few guys that can shoot.  Most of the players are poor FT shooters.  Most don't fundamentally box out on the boards.  Most have poor defensive footwork. Most rely on loose interpretations of the rulebook to get away with what the pass off as ballhandling.  Many make poor passes, particularly under pressure. 

I don't watch much women's ball (primarily because there's so few good women players and let's face it, the only team worth watching is the C's or the local college teams) but the good players I've seen are pretty solid fundamentally.  They're not nearly as athletic as men but how many times have smarter, more-skilled teams beaten more athletic teams.

Also consider the fact that with most of the men's best talent jumping to the pro's very early from college, there's even more mediocre men's college teams out there.