Author Topic: Patriots 2017 season  (Read 76902 times)

Re: Patriots 2017 season
« Reply #345 on: January 14, 2018, 04:17:36 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
How are people feeling about Jaguars vs Patriots in Foxboro next week? Their defense gives me a ton of pause.
#JKJB

« Reply #346 on: January 14, 2018, 04:20:31 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
How are people feeling about Jaguars vs Patriots in Foxboro next week? Their defense gives me a ton of pause.

Would you have preferred the Steelers?

« Reply #347 on: January 14, 2018, 04:26:46 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Jags D is really good, and the thought of potentially losing to a team led by Blake Bortles is nauseating (like losing to the Joe Flacco Ravens), but the Patriots do seem to be rounding into form—their D has been better, Hogan and White are back, Lewis is on a roll, they have Gronk this postseason, they'll be playing at home, and they’ll (hopefully) have Alan Branch back to help slow Leonard Fournette. I expect a tough game, a close game, but the odds are in New England’s favor.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #348 on: January 14, 2018, 04:33:32 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

No. I'm pretty happy about this whole thing to be honest.
#JKJB

« Reply #349 on: January 14, 2018, 05:17:46 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

No. I'm pretty happy about this whole thing to be honest.

Yeah, anything can happen of course, but we are very fortunate thus far.

« Reply #350 on: January 14, 2018, 06:26:27 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
They did just give up 42 points to the Steelers and that could have been much worse without the two first half TOs and/or the two 4th and inches plays that Pitt missed on (I realize they also got extremely lucky on two 4th and long plays for TDs).

The Jags definitely pose a threat, but I assume BB will try to limit Fournette's effectiveness and make Bortles beat them. We actually have a very good defensive backfield so we should hold our own there. McDaniels and Brady will really need to mix it up on offense. As we saw today, their defense can be scored on.

« Reply #351 on: January 14, 2018, 08:24:48 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
The remaining QBs: Brady, Bortles, Keenum, Foles.

Wow.

« Reply #352 on: January 14, 2018, 08:25:07 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Saints just gave the game away against the Vikings...

I have mixed feelings about that in regards to how it affects the Pats in a potential SB run.

On one hand, the VIkings are probably the most complete team in the playoffs, and they have the kind of D that could give the Pats major problems. They also potentially would have home field advantage in the Super Bowl.

OTOH, I still don't fully trust Keenum on the big stage. That Vikes offense was horrible in the second half, and they honestly got really lucky on that last play. Really the game was an epic choke job bty Minny alleviated by one truly horrible Saints tackle attempt.

It's also nice having a clutch QB like Brees out of the playoffs. That Saints team is good but not great, I saw them as a similar but lesser version of the pats. It was a matchup we probably would have won by 7-10 points. But good QB's can elevate their teams in the big moments, so there was a danger there.

The Vikes are a more unfamiliar entity and have that nasty D.

I think at this point I'm hoping the Eagles knock them off so we can face Foles in the SB, that guy pretty much stinks.

« Reply #353 on: January 14, 2018, 08:30:48 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I just went to the Steelers Facebook page and ....I just don't have it in me to trash talk them. I just can't

« Reply #354 on: January 14, 2018, 08:44:57 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I Think The Gameplan Has To Be Somewhat Similar To The One Vs. Tennessee On Defense.

Basically, zero in on Fournette and prevent him from running all over us, and then have a QB spy in a lot of plays and FORCE Bortles to win the game with just his arm (don’t let Bortles run a ton, which he is more than capable of doing).

Now obviously, easier said than done, and yes, Jacksonville’s defense is ELITE (so don’t expect a 35-14 scoreline again), but hopefully the offense can put up around 23-27 points this Sunday, and then this "bend but don’t break defense" can keep Bortles and co. to under 17 points.

I mean, PIT did manage to put up 42 points on the Jaguars and as the game went on, they (the Jags) couldn’t really pressure Big Ben. Plus, I imagine our defense will do MUCH BETTER than the Steelers’ defense did today.

Again, won’t be easy, but at home, as long as we keep Fournette from running over us and the offense can put up somewhere in the mid-20s, I like our chances.

The Jags defense does remind me of the 2015 Broncos a lot, but luckily this time around, we’re playing at home and not on the road!

Expecting a close game with a scoreline around 27-17 Pats, with the Pats icing the game on a late FG or something.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #355 on: January 14, 2018, 09:10:14 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I Think The Gameplan Has To Be Somewhat Similar To The One Vs. Tennessee On Defense.

Basically, zero in on Fournette and prevent him from running all over us, and then have a QB spy in a lot of plays and FORCE Bortles to win the game with just his arm (don’t let Bortles run a ton, which he is more than capable of doing).

Now obviously, easier said than done, and yes, Jacksonville’s defense is ELITE (so don’t expect a 35-14 scoreline again), but hopefully the offense can put up around 23-27 points this Sunday, and then this "bend but don’t break defense" can keep Bortles and co. to under 17 points.

I mean, PIT did manage to put up 42 points on the Jaguars and as the game went on, they (the Jags) couldn’t really pressure Big Ben. Plus, I imagine our defense will do MUCH BETTER than the Steelers’ defense did today.

Again, won’t be easy, but at home, as long as we keep Fournette from running over us and the offense can put up somewhere in the mid-20s, I like our chances.

The Jags defense does remind me of the 2015 Broncos a lot, but luckily this time around, we’re playing at home and not on the road!

Expecting a close game with a scoreline around 27-17 Pats, with the Pats icing the game on a late FG or something.

They just gave up 42 pts to a QB not named Tom Brady. I'm concerned, but not really worried about Jax. I still think Pitt is a better team and would pose a bigger threat than Jax in NE.

It is easy to sleep on Bortles as he runs hot/cold. Fournette is already one of the best backs in the league. I imagine that BB is completely focused on neutralizing him.

Classic New Orleans defense. It's too bad, bc Brees is a hell of a QB. A Brees-Brady SB would be a classic.

« Reply #356 on: January 14, 2018, 09:48:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Have no concerns about Jacksonville. I see the game being as close as the Titans game.

« Reply #357 on: January 14, 2018, 10:26:13 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Only real concern about Jax is their stout run game.  I remember seeing Fournette on ESPN every weekend without fail while at LSU -- one scary dude and leader of the best run game in the NFL this season.  Unfortunately, the Pats rank ~20th in the league in defensive rushing yards.  There's reason to be hopeful too, though: Despite the yards given, they allowed relatively few TDs; and the Pats defense tends to step up in the playoffs.  I think it will end up being a competitive game with experience trumping grit and youth.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #358 on: January 14, 2018, 10:35:23 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Have no concerns about Jacksonville. I see the game being as close as the Titans game.

The Pats game was more of a 28 pt game than the 21 pt difference that the scoreboard showed. I would love an epic beatdown in NE once again this weekend. I think it will be far closer. Jax impressed me today.

« Reply #359 on: January 14, 2018, 11:52:28 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

If the Patriots want to win Superbowl 52, the Jaguars are the good draw. It will measure their intensity. That's a very elite-level defense the Patriots will face in the postseason, and preparing them for the big game should they get there.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)