Author Topic: Patriots 2017 season  (Read 76786 times)

Re: Patriots 2017 season
« Reply #330 on: December 31, 2017, 09:11:20 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Seems overwhelmingly likely that we get KC.

Feel good about that matchup.

I feel a lot better about it than before (when KC blew us out and had that insane start to the season before struggling a lot).

Still, they aren't an easy team and are just as capable to pull off the upset @Foxboro.

I'm really hoping we get back a lot of our guys healthy by then. Going to need it too.

No Eric Berry, but they'll double up on Gronk. What concerns me is whether the Patriots offense will click or not. We need big games from the receiving corps on top of the running game. The defense needs to step it up; I don't want to see another Week 1 performance.

I trust the defense will do a lot better to be honest.

If you recall in Week 1, a good chunk of the defense was filled w/new guys and practice squad guys who had to play due to some last minute trades and injuries, so they obviously didn't really know the game-plan either or memorize the playbook (which made it difficult for Matt Patricia and also led to lots of mis-communications).

But yeah, hopefully the offense can click and a lot of the injured guys can come back (Hogan, Malcolm Mitchell, Burkhead, White, etc.)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #331 on: January 07, 2018, 04:40:11 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
AFC Divisional Round match ups are set!

Tennessee Titans @ New England Patriots on Saturday, 8:15 PM EST (CBS)

Jacksonville Jaguars @ Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday, 1:05 PM EST (CBS)

GO PATS! #OnToTennessee #NotDone  ;D  8)

Honestly, this was probably our best case scenario. Pittsburgh plays a tough JAX team in the divisional round (not easy), while the Patriots AVOID KC (probably their biggest threat out of the three possible opponents they could have faced this Saturday) and play a somewhat mediocre Titans team.

« Reply #332 on: January 07, 2018, 04:53:34 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Down with the Titans!!

« Reply #333 on: January 07, 2018, 05:05:47 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I would much rather watch Tenn than Buffalo again. Not that Tenn plays a pretty brand of football, but it will be more exciting to see a new cast of characters. Buffalo can be tough to watch at times, esp b/c of their quarterbacking issues. I hope Tyrod is ok.

Teams that should beat the Pats in the playoffs: 0
Teams that can beat the Pats in the playoffs: Pitt, Jax, Minn, Atl (jk, 28-3), KC, Carolina

« Reply #334 on: January 07, 2018, 05:12:28 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I would much rather watch Tenn than Buffalo again. Not that Tenn plays a pretty brand of football, but it will be more exciting to see a new cast of characters. Buffalo can be tough to watch at times, esp b/c of their quarterbacking issues. I hope Tyrod is ok.

Teams that can beat the Pats in the playoffs: Pitt, Jax, Minn, Atl (jk, 28-3), KC, Carolina

I'm glad Tennessee won and Buffalo lost.  I would not want to give anyone a third chance in the same season.

Any playoff team can beat the Pats. The Pats aren't dominant this season and anything can happen.

« Reply #335 on: January 07, 2018, 05:17:38 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

I'm glad Tennessee won and Buffalo lost.  I would not want to give anyone a third chance in the same season.

Any playoff team can beat the Pats. The Pats aren't dominant this season and anything can happen.

Not so glad now that Buffalo lost considering Mr. Peterman would likely be the QB next week.

« Reply #336 on: January 07, 2018, 05:20:48 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

Not so glad now that Buffalo lost considering Mr. Peterman would likely be the QB next week.

As a Pats fan, I'm not worried about Tenn or Buffalo. I imagine the Pats are 10+ pt favorites next weekend. For entertainment purposes, I'd rather see Mariota over Peterman.

« Reply #337 on: January 07, 2018, 05:31:05 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

I'm aware of the Any Given Sunday spiel. Not accounting for outliers, the Pats should win home playoff games against the borderline teams still in the playoffs, including Tenn and Jacksonville. I think Pitt is the 2nd best team in the NFL, and would pose a bigger challenge than any of the NFC teams.

Philly- Foles schmoles. I think they are the worst team in the NFC playoffs.
Minny- Case Keenum over TB12? Brady has beaten better defenses, including Seattle a couple of years ago
Atlanta- Not as good as the team that lost to the Patriots in the SB. Would make a great story of perseverance/surviving epic collapses.
Carolina-Tough defense. Cam seems to be hot/cold which isn't great for their chances.
New Orleans- Would be a fun, 49-42 game.

My Ranking: NE, Pitt, Atl, Minny, NO, Car, Philly

« Reply #338 on: January 14, 2018, 12:21:35 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
7th straight AFCCG appearance!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #339 on: January 14, 2018, 12:24:58 AM »

Offline OnPoint

• NCE
  • Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 128
At what point do we start comparing this Patriots run to the 60’s Celtics?

« Reply #340 on: January 14, 2018, 03:55:13 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
At what point do we start comparing this Patriots run to the 60’s Celtics?

If they win this year, I'd say.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #341 on: January 14, 2018, 08:40:59 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I heard it's been so long since the Patriots weren't in the AFC Championship that people just forgot when the last time they weren't in. Scientists are trying to cross reference ancient Babylonian cuneiform with Linear B tablets from Crete and passages from Exodus. They did find a reference to New Englanders becoming too proud so God sent angels to smite them, but nobody knows if this is a reference to Mark Sanchez and the Jets or the Anaheim Angels in baseball.

« Reply #342 on: January 14, 2018, 12:39:13 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
You might as well name the AFC Championship Game, the "Tom Brady Invitational"  :laugh:

« Reply #343 on: January 14, 2018, 01:04:27 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
I realize how ridiculous/spoiled this statement sounds:

It must have stunk to follow a team not named NE for the last 18 years.

Pitt, Den, NYG, Sea, etc etc have all been frustrating teams for longer stretches. NE has had a legitimate chance to win almost every year since 2000. Wild.

« Reply #344 on: January 14, 2018, 02:23:26 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I realize how ridiculous/spoiled this statement sounds:

It must have stunk to follow a team not named NE for the last 18 years.

Pitt, Den, NYG, Sea, etc etc have all been frustrating teams for longer stretches. NE has had a legitimate chance to win almost every year since 2000. Wild.

I've been following The Pats since the Jim Plunkett days. The Patriots fans, who were very long suffering deserved a run like this.