Author Topic: ESPN Weekly Power Ranking: now at 3 on 12/9/19  (Read 14849 times)

Re: ESPN Power Ranking: Celtics move up from 11 to 8
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 08:04:20 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
saw that earlier today.  only ranking that really matters is the one after the finals when the C's get to raise the banner for #18

Re: ESPN Power Ranking: Celtics move up from 11 to 8
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 10:15:30 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
saw that earlier today.  only ranking that really matters is the one after the finals when the C's get to raise the banner for #18

What Im sayn !!!!!!!!!!   10,000 tp s   ;D

Celtics Jump up to 5 in ESPN 11.4.19 Power Ranking
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 09:12:23 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27997855/nba-power-rankings-week-3-how-long-sixers-stay-perfect

I like the respect, but on the other hand the lack of respect maybe preferable.

What do you think? Are you surprised that we are currently ranked as the 5th best team in the NBA, ahead of Denver, Houston, and the Jazz?

I think ESPN got it right ranking Philly 1, Lakers 2, Clippers 3 and Bucks 4.  Very close to my preseason top 4 ranking, I think I had Lakers and Philly swapped at 1/2.

I think the Lakers are slowly figuring things out, and will become the team to beat this year. Their defense is much better than projected. Dwight Howard has really helped them. He should replace McGee as starter, unless Kuzma does.

Re: Celtics Jump up to 5 in ESPN 11.4.19 Power Ranking
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 09:17:01 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Seems about right for the time being.

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 09:36:09 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think that's high. I don't think we've had enough games yet to drastically revise how we order the league, apart from some obvious exceptions (Warriors, Suns).
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2019, 09:37:03 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I don't put any stock in this in-season rating by ESPN.  rather pointless because ESPN is all about the hot takes to get clicks and the only 2 times that rankings matter are (1) the end of the regular season for playoff seeding and (2) the end of the playoffs when the champs are determined. 

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 11:50:00 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Dang those Fakers are actually good again... LeRoid keeps halting father time from catching him, contagious enough to give Dwight Howard a ride with him as Howard has been fantastic these last couple of games.

who figures it out faster.. The Cs incorporating Kemba with our three wings or the rebuilt Fakers with their over the hill overachievers.

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 12:17:13 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Dang those Fakers are actually good again... LeRoid keeps halting father time from catching him, contagious enough to give Dwight Howard a ride with him as Howard has been fantastic these last couple of games.

who figures it out faster.. The Cs incorporating Kemba with our three wings or the rebuilt Fakers with their over the hill overachievers.

Who's healthy in April will be the deciding factor.

Re: ESPN Weekly Power Ranking: now at 5 on 11/4/19
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 03:09:58 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
A heads up to move to a different thread if power rankings discussions continue going forward.  The OP being just a link was very confusing to me as it links to week 2 power rankings rather than the 11/4 one in the topic.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2019, 03:30:27 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
A heads up to move to a different thread if power rankings discussions continue going forward.  The OP being just a link was very confusing to me as it links to week 2 power rankings rather than the 11/4 one in the topic.

Yeah, tp to footey (a few posts down from the top) for posting the updated power rankings. I actually don't hate the idea of this thread - as I don't usually go to ESPN on my own and this content is somewhat interesting - but it would be pretty helpful if each week the newest power rankings were updated in the OP -either through a counting list or just replacing the last.

Edit: Updating the title and just posting the newest power rankings in a new post is fine, too. I didn't realize footey was the OP, as well.

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2019, 05:49:55 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
 NBA.com’s John Schuhmann has the C’s 4th this week.

https://www.nba.com/powerrankings/2019-20-week-3?collection=powerrankings

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2019, 12:09:44 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I know these rankings mean nothing, but will be very interested to see where the C's rank when the various sites post their new power rankings tomorrow.

NBA.com had C's 4th, while ESPN had them 5th, and the 3-4 teams in front of them all had losses, while the C's went 3-0 and now are in sole possession of the best record in the league and longest winning streak.

Philly went 1-3 (surely dropping)
LAC went 1-1 (only 2 games and Kawhi had to take a rest game?)
LAL went 2-1
MIL went 3-1

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2019, 12:15:38 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I know these rankings mean nothing, but will be very interested to see where the C's rank when the various sites post their new power rankings tomorrow.

NBA.com had C's 4th, while ESPN had them 5th, and the 3-4 teams in front of them all had losses, while the C's went 3-0 and now are in sole possession of the best record in the league and longest winning streak.

Philly went 1-3 (surely dropping)
LAC went 1-1 (only 2 games and Kawhi had to take a rest game?)
LAL went 2-1
MIL went 3-1

For sure NBA.com will have the C’s first.  Best record, longest active winning streak, #1 in net rating, and 3-0 on the road this week.  Recipe for the top spot there.  I’d expect ESPN to give the nod to an LA team.

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2019, 01:37:08 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
NBA.com’s John Schuhmann has the C’s 4th this week.

https://www.nba.com/powerrankings/2019-20-week-3?collection=powerrankings

Its stupid that these power rankings are not based on one team's performance for the week and its record but basically based on who your personnel are.

I betcha even with the Raptors beating the Fakers tonight theyd still be behind them in the power rankings...its garbage.