Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 369602 times)

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #1140 on: October 30, 2018, 07:56:52 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
man it seems like the 76ers really could have used bejelica. He has looked good on the kings. Crazy he backed out to go to europe and ended up in Sacramento.

« Reply #1141 on: October 30, 2018, 09:33:14 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Toronto is really giving them a whack.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1142 on: October 30, 2018, 10:27:59 PM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
Another triple double for Ben Simmons - 11 points, 10 assists... 11 turnovers  :laugh:
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #1143 on: October 30, 2018, 10:32:47 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
They are going to risk losing ruining some of these guys development if they keep insisting on starting fultz and Simmons together. Simmons looks significantly worse than last year and I have no idea what happened to Dario. Not getting Leonard could be franchise altering mistake like letting harden go.

« Reply #1144 on: October 31, 2018, 04:04:02 PM »

Online Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
man it seems like the 76ers really could have used bejelica. He has looked good on the kings. Crazy he backed out to go to europe and ended up in Sacramento.

Yeah, he would've fit in really nicely with them backing up both Saric and Embidd.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #1145 on: October 31, 2018, 04:12:34 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Yeah, he would've fit in really nicely with them backing up both Saric and Embidd.

Bjelica has been a way better player than Saric this year and Saric would work better off the bench because his play making is not taken advantage of with simmons and embiid on the floor.
Saric is shooting 23% from 3 on 6 attempts per game and 35% overall with nearly as many turnovers as assists. Bjelica by comparison is shooting 58% and 54% from 3 and 3 assists compared to one turnover.

To be honest Saric wouldn't be able to hold Bjelica's garments this season so far.

« Reply #1146 on: November 01, 2018, 10:05:06 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I went back and read some of the earlier stuff in this thread, and a lot of it (on both sides) has not aged very well.  Pretty fascinating to read some of the opinions expressed throughout this thread.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1147 on: November 01, 2018, 11:16:20 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Well I would say the Philly experiment has not aged that well.

Okafor, who many debated trading a Brooklyn pick for is in a vet min contract and not in rotiation.

Noel, who was talked about as future dpoy, is on a min contract and seems to have carved out a role as an energy big off bench.

Fultz, seems many many miles away from being a starter level pg.

Saric seems like a good bench creator, but has athleticism that limits him in the NBA game.

The craziest part is that 76ers are dangerously close to becoming just another NBA team. Embiid is a great player, probably top 15 in NBA and Simmons can at least be an allstar. That's not enough to be more than a second round playoff team though (much like the bucks)

« Reply #1148 on: November 01, 2018, 11:27:31 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

Okafor, who many debated trading a Brooklyn pick for is in a vet min contract and not in rotiation.

Noel, who was talked about as future dpoy, is on a min contract and seems to have carved out a role as an energy big off bench.

Saric seems like a good bench creator, but has athleticism that limits him in the NBA game.

The craziest part is that 76ers are dangerously close to becoming just another NBA team. Embiid is a great player, probably top 15 in NBA and Simmons can at least be an allstar. That's not enough to be more than a second round playoff team though (much like the bucks)

Bucks are a scarier team right now.  Wouldn't shock me at all to see them in the conference finals this year. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #1149 on: November 01, 2018, 11:40:02 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I don't know.  They won 50+ games and a playoff series last year.  This is a franchise that had won 2 playoff series with their highest win total at 48 since the 56 win Finals team of 2001.  Prior to that season they hadn't won 50 games since 1990 and hadn't won at least 2 playoff series in the same season since the 85 playoffs.  This isn't exactly a franchise that was always winning and decided to take drastic measures.  What they had been doing wasn't working and they ended up with their most successful season in nearly 20 years in basically a 5 season rebuild.  Barring something drastic they are making the playoffs again this year and look like they are set up to be a playoff team for the next decade.  Maybe they aren't a true contender, but they hadn't been one of those since basically the mid-80's aside from that 1 AI blip season, any way.  At least now they have at a minimum what should be a playoff level team for a decade that still has a lot of financial flexibility. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1150 on: November 01, 2018, 12:00:35 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Loss of Illaysova and Bellinelli really hurt this team bench wise..if either Simmons or Embiid go down, there done
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #1151 on: November 01, 2018, 12:17:16 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
Loss of Illaysova and Bellinelli really hurt this team bench wise..if either Simmons or Embiid go down, there done

Absolutely.  Their bench isn't good and if they lose one of their big 2 they are screwed. 

« Reply #1152 on: November 01, 2018, 12:17:52 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I don't know.  They won 50+ games and a playoff series last year.  This is a franchise that had won 2 playoff series with their highest win total at 48 since the 56 win Finals team of 2001.  Prior to that season they hadn't won 50 games since 1990 and hadn't won at least 2 playoff series in the same season since the 85 playoffs.  This isn't exactly a franchise that was always winning and decided to take drastic measures.  What they had been doing wasn't working and they ended up with their most successful season in nearly 20 years in basically a 5 season rebuild.  Barring something drastic they are making the playoffs again this year and look like they are set up to be a playoff team for the next decade.  Maybe they aren't a true contender, but they hadn't been one of those since basically the mid-80's aside from that 1 AI blip season, any way.  At least now they have at a minimum what should be a playoff level team for a decade that still has a lot of financial flexibility.

I get what your saying about their history, but objectively if they top out as a team that makes the second round and occasionally wins 50 games, I don't think anyone could declare that the process was a big success (and I don't think their fans would be happy with that). This year they would be an underdog against the Celtics, Raptors and Bucks in the first round. They could even be an underdog against the Pacers depending on home court.

Not finding a way to get the Leonard trade done on top of the probably disastrous Tatum trade seems to have really wasted a lot of the assets they had.  And thinking about this moving forward, do people realize that Embiid is a year older than Giannis?

« Reply #1153 on: November 01, 2018, 12:39:28 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

I get what your saying about their history, but objectively if they top out as a team that makes the second round and occasionally wins 50 games, I don't think anyone could declare that the process was a big success (and I don't think their fans would be happy with that). This year they would be an underdog against the Celtics, Raptors and Bucks in the first round. They could even be an underdog against the Pacers depending on home court.

Not finding a way to get the Leonard trade done on top of the probably disastrous Tatum trade seems to have really wasted a lot of the assets they had.  And thinking about this moving forward, do people realize that Embiid is a year older than Giannis?

No sugar coating it, it would be an absolute failure. 

You'd get a 30 for 30 on it and inevitable comparisons to the mid 90s Magic, early 2010's Thunder, etc....  (and at least those teams had Finals appearances).

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #1154 on: November 01, 2018, 01:37:34 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

No sugar coating it, it would be an absolute failure. 

You'd get a 30 for 30 on it and inevitable comparisons to the mid 90s Magic, early 2010's Thunder, etc....  (and at least those teams had Finals appearances).

I agree with this. really seems like moving the goalposts to say 50 win seasons would be a huge win when the whole point, per hinkie, was championships.