Author Topic: The truth is... we don't need Rondo  (Read 19397 times)

Re: The truth is... we don't need Rondo
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2013, 01:45:02 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Unless we're trading him for a good point guard *and* a good big man, there's no sense in getting rid of him.

Dragic, Gortat, and picks for Rondo and Lee?
I was thinking more along the lines of Rondo for Lowry and Ed Davis.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2013, 01:48:54 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I don't want to trade rondo but as of yesterday , I want lee and Bradley playing the last 10 min of the 4th quarter.

That tandem would be as vulnerable to a press as they are good at applying one.  The Celtics went up against up a geriatric J-Kidd, a slow Prigioni and a relaxed, offensive-minded JR Smith Knick backcourt.  They were incapable of punishing us for our lack of ball-handling and also very vulnerable to a press themselves (no quickness in Kidd or Prigioni, mediocre handles for JR).

And yet we were still exceptionally vulnerable to basic turnovers in the end game because Terry and Pierce were our best ball-handlers.  Lee and Bradley are even less capable as ball-handlers.

You want Rondo's elite ball-handling in the end game.  And it's not like he's a defensive slouch, either.  Very effective in tandem with Bradley or Lee in a pressing D.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2013, 01:56:37 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Threads like this...

How soon we forget the playoffs.  Do we remember who carries us there every year?  Who took on LeBron and Wade and won but what ultimately robbed?
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2013, 02:00:46 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Who took on LeBron and Wade and won but what ultimately robbed?
Oh, please.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2013, 02:04:51 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
Oh, please.

Please... ?

He was raked across the face by Wade, it wasn't called, and it turned the whole game.  Rondo was absolutely carrying.

Do you doubt his playoff performances?  "Oh please" to you.

« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2013, 02:07:41 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Oh, please.

Please... ?

He was raked across the face and it turned the whole game.  Rondo was absolutely carrying.
I'm tired of hearing of how someone was "robbed". We lost. Man up and play better next time.

« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2013, 02:18:07 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
Oh, please.

Please... ?

He was raked across the face and it turned the whole game.  Rondo was absolutely carrying.
I'm tired of hearing of how someone was "robbed". We lost. Man up and play better next time.

It was clear as day but it's irrelevant to the point of the thread.

The point is come playoff time there is no player as good as Rondo save LeBron James.  To say we don't need him is foolish.

« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2013, 02:43:12 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Oh, please.

Please... ?

It was clear as day but it's irrelevant to the point of the thread.

The point is come playoff time there is no player as good as Rondo save LeBron James.  To say we don't need him is foolish.

I am continually flabbergasted by the degree to which Rondo's consistent excellence in the playoffs is ignored by his detractors.

It's all about what kind of numbers you can put up during the 82 game preseason.  Nobody cares what you do when the games actually matter.  It's bizarre.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2013, 02:49:45 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
but, ...I need Rondo!
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2013, 02:52:02 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2013, 02:55:56 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
I created THIS THREAD last year saying we should trade Rondo because of his immaturity and emotion.  He is far too immature and emotional to be the leader of a title contender.  When the emotion is on and works, he is a superstar, but when the emotion is off he plays poorly, doesn't hustle, is very inconsistent, and finds himself often making stupid decisions (getting T'd up, and sometimes ejected or suspended).  In addition, Rondo also would net the greatest return given his ability, production, and contract.  Thus I'm all for trading Rondo, I just wouldn't move him just to move him, but if Boston could get back good value, I would be all for it.

Something like this 3 team trade would be good for me.

Boston gets Cousins, Robinson, Brooks
Sacramento gets Rondo, Gay, Melo
Memphis gets Evans, Salmons, Bass

So you want to trade a precieved locker room head case for cousins, a guy who is always one step away from an arrest warrent and such a locker room disaster that Sacramento is willing to deal him to get rid of the headache?

This is what i don't get, everyone wants to talk about how cousins makes you good for the next 10 years, and his issues are a non-factor, but if thats so, how come Sacramento can't run away from him fast enough?

Never mind that cousin's stupid off the court and locker room antics are so bad that it can't all be kept quite in SACRAMENTO for gods sake, you think the constant media pressure here is going to help with his crazy behind?

The thing with Cousins is that yes he's very emotional and tempermental, but he never lets that affect him on the court. Kinda like Charles Barkley. Everyone knows his attitude problem, but he would dominate on the court regardless of what tantrum he had 

Rondo, on the other hand lets his emotions spill on the court, and lets his moodiness make him not play into his potential. Sometimes daydreams like he wishes he was on vacation. Member when Perk got traded? Sulked and whined that his best friend was gone, and was wildly inconsistent and cost the Celtics alot of games

« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2013, 02:57:56 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
I dont know if i NEED him as much as I needed Delonte West , but I realize I dont NEED any player to be in love and NEED the celtics, anyhow, I WANT rondo in this team, and I will be HAPPy if he stays long, Now talking about NEED i NEED some more Celtics basketball, if they play like the 4 games slump maybe i will not NEED anymore, but as long as they continue playing like last 3 games yes... i NEED more.
Underneedstand!

Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2013, 03:04:52 PM »

Offline GrandTheftRondo

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
I knew this thread was coming...its really like clockwork. CB...so predictable.

The Lakers win without Kobe...its really about time for him to go.

The Heat have won without Wade and without Lebron....they should trade both or at least one of them. It only makes sense.

The Clippers have won without Chris Paul...he definitely needs to be traded. He's worthless.

The Bulls are actually doing pretty good without D. Rose...no sense in bringing him back.

The Knicks have no problem winning without Melo...time to ship him out of NY.

Please.

« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2013, 03:05:16 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I created THIS THREAD last year saying we should trade Rondo because of his immaturity and emotion.  He is far too immature and emotional to be the leader of a title contender.  When the emotion is on and works, he is a superstar, but when the emotion is off he plays poorly, doesn't hustle, is very inconsistent, and finds himself often making stupid decisions (getting T'd up, and sometimes ejected or suspended).  In addition, Rondo also would net the greatest return given his ability, production, and contract.  Thus I'm all for trading Rondo, I just wouldn't move him just to move him, but if Boston could get back good value, I would be all for it.

So you want to trade a precieved locker room head case for cousins, a guy who is always one step away from an arrest warrent and such a locker room disaster that Sacramento is willing to deal him to get rid of the headache?

This is what i don't get, everyone wants to talk about how cousins makes you good for the next 10 years, and his issues are a non-factor, but if thats so, how come Sacramento can't run away from him fast enough?

Never mind that cousin's stupid off the court and locker room antics are so bad that it can't all be kept quite in SACRAMENTO for gods sake, you think the constant media pressure here is going to help with his crazy behind?

The thing with Cousins is that yes he's very emotional and tempermental, but he never lets that affect him on the court. Kinda like Charles Barkley. Everyone knows his attitude problem, but he would dominate on the court regardless of what tantrum he had 

Rondo, on the other hand lets his emotions spill on the court, and lets his moodiness make him not play into his potential. Sometimes daydreams like he wishes he was on vacation. Member when Perk got traded? Sulked and whined that his best friend was gone, and was wildly inconsistent and cost the Celtics alot of games
yeah that is my take as well. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2013, 03:06:52 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

Or how about when Rondo gets so amped in the playoffs on the big stage?  When he gets angry about losing to Miami and suddenly becomes a scorer because he knows he needs to.  He puts up triple doubles and 44 point games.  The emotion swings both ways.  It isn't just negative.

Or how about Cousins trying to fight an announcer on the court?

Yeah.  I'd rather have my player get emotional on court ala KG and Rondo than be a F up off the court, ala countless examples that have ruined their careers.  Cousins does both things anyways.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 03:16:09 PM by Snakehead »