Author Topic: NBA Playoffs Season 2014-2015  (Read 487491 times)

Re: NBA Playoffs Season 2014-2015
« Reply #135 on: April 18, 2015, 11:40:18 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1687
I think Dallas are going to get swept.

Their core 5 just doesn't fit together nearly as well as they hoped, and the bench depth is poor.

I think it's mostly Monta and Rondo.  The Parsons/Dirk/Chandler trio fits just fine.  But those guards can't co-exist IMO, and Ellis is better than this version of Rondo.

They'd be better off with an off-ball PG who can guard the position and knock a jumper down.  Doesn't have to be a star - a guy like Chalmers would seem to fit.

Agree that their bench sucks.  It's Amare and that's about it.

These last few games Monta hasn't been so hot, he was looking more like Milwaukee Monta, while Rondo was starting to gel. I just don't think the Mavs can hang with the upper echelon teams in the West unless they're shooting you off the court.

You're right, but my point is that we're not seeing that Monta and Rondo can play well at the same time.  It's one or the other. 

Agree that this isn't a top-tier West team right now though.

« Reply #136 on: April 18, 2015, 11:44:03 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269

Their core 5 just doesn't fit together nearly as well as they hoped, and the bench depth is poor.

I think it's mostly Monta and Rondo.  The Parsons/Dirk/Chandler trio fits just fine.  But those guards can't co-exist IMO, and Ellis is better than this version of Rondo.

They'd be better off with an off-ball PG who can guard the position and knock a jumper down.  Doesn't have to be a star - a guy like Chalmers would seem to fit.

I think that's why things worked so well with Jameer/Calderon. PGs that aren't ball dominant that can shoot the ball even if they couldn't defend to save their lives.

All I can say is, if Rondo thinks playing with Monta is bad, wait until he plays with KOBE. That will be a disaster in the making.

« Reply #137 on: April 18, 2015, 11:49:19 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

I think that's why things worked so well with Jameer/Calderon. PGs that aren't ball dominant that can shoot the ball even if they couldn't defend to save their lives.

All I can say is, if Rondo thinks playing with Monta is bad, wait until he plays with KOBE. That will be a disaster in the making.

Rondo isn't good enough to have a team built around him and when you try to fit him into your system his lack of shooting destroys your spacing.

« Reply #138 on: April 18, 2015, 11:54:43 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Jones is just killing Dallas
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #139 on: April 18, 2015, 11:54:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The problem with Parsons-Nowitzki-Chandler is that Parsons is not a great wing defender.  Combine that with Ellis, who is a poor wing defender, and you see a real gap between this group and the championship group that had Stevenson and Marion starting on the wing.

That's not even mentioning the poor fit with Rondo.

If you switched Rondo, Parsons, Aminu, and Devin Harris with Beverley, Ariza, Brewer, and Terry, I have a feeling the Mavs would be a much better team.  Especially if they had a backup big who could defend at all.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #140 on: April 18, 2015, 11:56:09 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2949
Haha Hack-a-Smith and Hack-a-Rondo going on!

« Reply #141 on: April 18, 2015, 11:59:09 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Haha Hack-a-Smith and Hack-a-Rondo going on!

Yup, there was talk going into this series that Hack-a-____ was likely going to be a frequent feature.  Lots and lots of free throws.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #142 on: April 18, 2015, 11:59:53 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
The problem with Parsons-Nowitzki-Chandler is that Parsons is not a great wing defender.  Combine that with Ellis, who is a poor wing defender, and you see a real gap between this group and the championship group that had Stevenson and Marion starting on the wing.

If you switched Rondo, Parsons, Aminu, and Devin Harris with Beverley, Ariza, Brewer, and Terry, I have a feeling the Mavs would be a much better team.  Especially if they had a backup big who could defend at all.

I think the major problem is that dirk is not what he used to be even you switch out those players I don't think there will much difference at all

« Reply #143 on: April 19, 2015, 12:04:33 AM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269

Rondo isn't good enough to have a team built around him and when you try to fit him into your system his lack of shooting destroys your spacing.

Boy you said it. As much as I loved Rondo when he was donning the green, I cant help but think he was in a system that really benefited his style of play. He played with 3 dangerous shooters who couldn't be left open and one of the league's top notch defenses that could cover up his flaws on that end. Now that system is gone, and if you ask me, it will be hard for Rondo to find another system like that (3 Hall of famers and top-notch defense is hard to find on the same team).

If I were Dallas and could do it over again, I would have waited to see how things were (they did have the best offense in the league before the trade) and then would have approached Phoenix about the availability of Dragic. Dragic would have fit better because he's a better shooter, not as headstrong as Rondo, and he could have played off the ball. I know nothing was said about Dragic until the deadline, but still, I can't help but wonder what could have been.

« Reply #144 on: April 19, 2015, 12:05:23 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I think the major problem is that dirk is not what he used to be even you switch out those players I don't think there will much difference at all

While Dirk is not the player he was, I think the fit with the supporting cast is substantially worse.  Not saying the team would be as good as the Rockets, or the 2011 Mavs.  But the team would be better.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #145 on: April 19, 2015, 12:09:54 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
We got playoff Rondo for all of the second quarter and he played like currently Rondo the rest of the game.

If Dallas is going to be competitive they need playoff Rondo for at least 3 quarters.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #146 on: April 19, 2015, 12:10:36 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1007
Rick Carlisle no match for Kevin McHale hahah.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #147 on: April 19, 2015, 12:11:08 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

While Dirk is not the player he was, I think the fit with the supporting cast is substantially worse.  Not saying the team would be as good as the Rockets, or the 2011 Mavs.  But the team would be better.

How better or if they're going to be the same is the question. Dirk needs another scorer help this time and another shot creator.

« Reply #148 on: April 19, 2015, 12:38:08 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1007
Alright guise! Tomorrow's a must-win game for Boston!  ;D

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #149 on: April 19, 2015, 12:38:30 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
You know, for one of the most protected players of this era, and arguably all time, Dirk certainly pitches a hissy fit when he doesn't get another ridiculous call, only to then not get back on defense but blame everyone else out there for his poor passes, lol. ;D I'm surprised that Chandler didn't take him to task on that one, as well as everyone else.  Rondo was trying to push the tempo, but I think that Dirk is much better suited for sitzkrieg than blitzkrieg, haha. ;D

Btw, is it just me, or does every one of these games seem to be out of control?  No matter which team has the ball, they're running as fast as they can, taking a bad shot, making a poor pass, or just plain turning it over in 5 seconds or less before their opponent returns the favor.  There's no patience to be seen, anywhere, and I don't think I saw one possession during any of today's games where multiple passes were made.  I'm not saying that you should play slow-it-down, half court offense all the time, but could someone just step on the brakes, please? ;D Were these guys given too much catnip before the game or something, lol? ;D

Oh yeah, and I don't think I've seen Amare play inside that much in years, and despite his shooting numbers, I thought he played well - at least in the second half, lol. ;D I'd forgotten that he actually has post moves, ahaha. ;D