5 (10.2%)
ECF loss
11 (22.4%)
Finals loss
5 (10.2%)
Title 18! Anything is possible!!!!!!
27 (55.1%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: How far will a completely healthy Celtic team go in this whacky season?  (Read 13438 times)

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Maybe it’s being away from everything basketball which gives me green tinted glasses, but I think these C’s have a shot at the title. If Tatum continues to blossom and other teams show rust, we could win it all. I don’t mind the asterisk, a championship is a championship.

- LilRip

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Maybe it’s being away from everything basketball which gives me green tinted glasses, but I think these C’s have a shot at the title. If Tatum continues to blossom and other teams show rust, we could win it all. I don’t mind the asterisk, a championship is a championship.

Teams will be calling the Celtics "an asterisked 18th banner, does not count" and those annoying Lakers fans will surely discredit it lol. But ofc, when they win they act like world-beaters, 3peat, and clamoring the success over the Celtics lol

But yeah, agreed. A championship is a championship for my Celtics. I hope the C's win it all as they have a decent shot at it being fully healthy right now. It all comes down to coaching and player execution.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I'd love to say "Tittle 18" but in reality and IMO the team lacks chemistry on the offensive end. They lack playmaking, and live at the three point line in leu of working the ball to find the open man with the best opportunity. The offensive is too predictable in that way and easy to prepare for.

A team can live at the three point line if they have Clay, Curry and Durant, but the C's don't. You need to be who you are, not what you want to be. They're a young team and often play like it. In the end shooting percentage will be the main team culprit here. 

At the defensive end, youth and solid quick length should pay dividends. Unfortunately in the playoffs the game slows to a grind and interior D becomes valuable. As much as I like Theis, I really wish he were two inches taller and a bit longer.. Plus, he gets the worst whistle in the NBA and needs a solid defensive backup. Naturally Williams will be injured in the first round. Kanter will have nightmares when he sleeps about the pick and roll. 

There is a caveat this year, the NBA team that stayed best physically and mentally prepared in this COVID shutdown will have a distinct advantage. 

I struggled between second round and ECF loss.

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I'd love to say "Tittle 18" but in reality and IMO the team lacks chemistry on the offensive end. They lack playmaking, and live at the three point line in leu of working the ball to find the open man with the best opportunity. The offensive is too predictable in that way and easy to prepare for.

A team can live at the three point line if they have Clay, Curry and Durant, but the C's don't. You need to be who you are, not what you want to be. They're a young team and often play like it. In the end shooting percentage will be the main team culprit here. 

At the defensive end, youth and solid quick length should pay dividends. Unfortunately in the playoffs the game slows to a grind and interior D becomes valuable. As much as I like Theis, I really wish he were two inches taller and a bit longer.. Plus, he gets the worst whistle in the NBA and needs a solid defensive backup. Naturally Williams will be injured in the first round. Kanter will have nightmares when he sleeps about the pick and roll. 

There is a caveat this year, the NBA team that stayed best physically and mentally prepared in this COVID shutdown will have a distinct advantage. 

The bold part doesn't make sense to me. When your best 4 players/scorers/shooters (I'd argue in favor on all three criteria btw) are Tatum, Walker, Brown and Hayward then you should be willing to shoot a lot from distance. They're not one-dimensional by any means, so varying the offense is definitely a good thing, but if that calibre shooters isn't comfortable for you then I don't know what is.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
All the way, baby.  If Kemba knee is sound.

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

With Kemba, Hayward, Smart, Kanter and Theis, they have a strong vet presence, especially at the end of games. Wanamaker too has many years of pro experience and it shows. I don't think being a young team is going to be their issue.

Also, Tatum and Brown have lead a team to the brink of defeating Lebron's Cavs and going to the NBA Finals already, and have several years of playoff experience themselves.

I think being younger will also physically help them rebound well from the covid-19 layoff going into these playoffs. I would worry more about 35 year old Lebron's body coming off a long layoff going into intense NBA action than I would about guys like Tatum, Brown, and Smart.

You are right about shooting percentage though, that has been an issue with this team for years now. Ainge needs to add some high level shooting to the bench next season.

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Smartie, after having a career average of 9 points a game, has averaged 15ppg in Feb and nearly 20ppg in March. He averaged 7 3s a game in Feb over 10 games and 9 3s a game over 5 games in March for an average of 8 3s a game. His overall 3fg% over that time was 34%. I know various players were injured back then, but I kind of feel he needs to shoot less for us to get to the ECF. Shoot when he's open and shoot when they are daring him to, but be judicious when shooting.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Smartie, after having a career average of 9 points a game, has averaged 15ppg in Feb and nearly 20ppg in March. He averaged 7 3s a game in Feb over 10 games and 9 3s a game over 5 games in March for an average of 8 3s a game. His overall 3fg% over that time was 34%. I know various players were injured back then, but I kind of feel he needs to shoot less for us to get to the ECF. Shoot when he's open and shoot when they are daring him to, but be judicious when shooting.

Smart taking shots is like Trump s tweeting .   Its cringe worthy everytime it happens .   You wish he wouldn't chuck that next long three ,  but ya know its coming ... ;D

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I actually wish we'd run more sets for Marcus - he's become an excellent passer. Nothing like him dominating the ball ala Harden/Doncic/Trae, but some quick PnRs from handoffs/pinch post in our motion offence would be great.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548

With Kemba, Hayward, Smart, Kanter and Theis, they have a strong vet presence, especially at the end of games. Wanamaker too has many years of pro experience and it shows. I don't think being a young team is going to be their issue.

Also, Tatum and Brown have lead a team to the brink of defeating Lebron's Cavs and going to the NBA Finals already, and have several years of playoff experience themselves.

I think being younger will also physically help them rebound well from the covid-19 layoff going into these playoffs. I would worry more about 35 year old Lebron's body coming off a long layoff going into intense NBA action than I would about guys like Tatum, Brown, and Smart.

You are right about shooting percentage though, that has been an issue with this team for years now. Ainge needs to add some high level shooting to the bench next season.
Boston is 12th in 3 point shooting percentage and above the league average.  They are 14th in 3 point attempts so they aren't overdoing it either.  Now clearly Smart need to shoot less (though it is much less an issue with him hitting basically 35% this year), but the team overall shoots just fine from deep and Tatum, Hayward, Brown, and Walker are all basically 38% or better (and Tatum is pushing 40%). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas

The bold part doesn't make sense to me. When your best 4 players/scorers/shooters (I'd argue in favor on all three criteria btw) are Tatum, Walker, Brown and Hayward then you should be willing to shoot a lot from distance. They're not one-dimensional by any means, so varying the offense is definitely a good thing, but if that calibre shooters isn't comfortable for you then I don't know what is.

It's all about shooting percentage. Tatum shoots the ball at the lower-end of the spectrum for a player that averages 21+ league wise. And that can be also said of Walker. While Brown and Hayward both shoot the ball at solid percentage, both take fewer shots than Tatum and Walker. Shooting percentage at this level is important.

You can't possibly compare the above group with Curry, Durant and Thompson as pure shooters. That's the reason Golden State could live at the 3 point line and win rings, they have/had great 3 point shooters with solid percentages. The Celtics need a more diverse offense, is all I'm saying. There are different ways of skinning a cat, and discovering these ways comes with maturity. 

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas

Boston is 12th in 3 point shooting percentage and above the league average.  They are 14th in 3 point attempts so they aren't overdoing it either.  Now clearly Smart need to shoot less (though it is much less an issue with him hitting basically 35% this year), but the team overall shoots just fine from deep and Tatum, Hayward, Brown, and Walker are all basically 38% or better (and Tatum is pushing 40%).

Exactly...if Boston were 8th in the league shooting from the 3 point line at that same 14th in attempts than we may be taking about a team that is the favorite to win a ring. "Shooting fine" may not be good enough to get a team over the finish line. While a tad more patience finding the easy open two actually may. IMO Brown and Hayward need additional attempts. Both have above average shooting percentages.

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

Exactly...if Boston were 8th in the league shooting from the 3 point line at that same 14th in attempts than we may be taking about a team that is the favorite to win a ring. "Shooting fine" may not be good enough to get a team over the finish line. While a tad more patience finding the easy open two actually may. IMO Brown and Hayward need additional attempts. Both have above average shooting percentages.

I agree. Brown particularly has been money with the corner 3, even in the clutch. Yet we get Smart taking more of those shots late in games. I know its because thats what defenses are giving to us, but like you said, with more patience and poise, we could get the ball in the hands of our better shooters more often.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548

So you want Boston to shoot more?  I thought you were complaining Boston wasn't good enough to live (and die) by the 3 pointer.  Though as the numbers show that isn't the case.  Boston is in the middle third of the league in both percentage and attempts.  They don't live or die by the 3. 

And also, Brown and Hayward have 9.8 attempts a game between them.  Tatum is the best shooter on the team and he has 7.1.  Walker has 8.8 (leading the team) and basically hits them at the same percentage as Brown and Walker takes on the whole non-setup and/or worse shots than Brown (he also has 4 heaves to Brown's 1).  Brown's 3's are assisted almost 89% of the time while Walker has assisted 3's only 48% of the time (Tatum is at 56%).  In other words, I'm not really sure Brown should be shooting more.  He does as well as he does because he is getting mostly open looks off of passes.  He starts shooting more, he loses that efficiency boost and I think his percentage drops.  I think is would apply to a lesser extent to Hayward who is assisted 85% of the time.  They both also have pretty good 2 point assisted percentages as well. 

If your argument is Smart shoots too much, well yeah, everyone knows this.  Everyone complains about it.  And has since he entered the league.  That isn't new. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

So you want Boston to shoot more?  I thought you were complaining Boston wasn't good enough to live (and die) by the 3 pointer.  Though as the numbers show that isn't the case.  Boston is in the middle third of the league in both percentage and attempts.  They don't live or die by the 3. 

And also, Brown and Hayward have 9.8 attempts a game between them.  Tatum is the best shooter on the team and he has 7.1.  Walker has 8.8 (leading the team) and basically hits them at the same percentage as Brown and Walker takes on the whole non-setup and/or worse shots than Brown (he also has 4 heaves to Brown's 1).  Brown's 3's are assisted almost 89% of the time while Walker has assisted 3's only 48% of the time (Tatum is at 56%).  In other words, I'm not really sure Brown should be shooting more.  He does as well as he does because he is getting mostly open looks off of passes.  He starts shooting more, he loses that efficiency boost and I think his percentage drops.  I think is would apply to a lesser extent to Hayward who is assisted 85% of the time.  They both also have pretty good 2 point assisted percentages as well. 

If your argument is Smart shoots too much, well yeah, everyone knows this.  Everyone complains about it.  And has since he entered the league.  That isn't new.
Brown definitely isn't a pullup three point shooter yet and Hayward isn't exactly great at that either. I do think that Brown has an excellent midrange jumpshot though, he can shoot it in a variety of ways (catch and shoot, pullup, fadeaway, etc).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA