5 (10.2%)
ECF loss
11 (22.4%)
Finals loss
5 (10.2%)
Title 18! Anything is possible!!!!!!
27 (55.1%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: How far will a completely healthy Celtic team go in this whacky season?  (Read 13437 times)

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Fully healthy, if they get in a groove and can play that awesome defense they are quite capable of playing, anything is possible. Minimum, I have them going to the ECFs.

From there I am torn. I can see this being Milwaukee's year so maybe they bow out in the ECFs. But if not, if they make it to the Finals, just a hunch, maybe a wish, but if they make it out of the East, I think they win it all.

Thoughts?

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
With 100 % healthy squad ....and staying that way ....i believe anything is possible .  Boston can't seem to shake the injury monkey off their backs .

Kemba needs to be Kemba again in an All Star way.

Our three centers , need to be healthy and remain that way .

Smart needs to stay healthy .

Without the above ,  i fear Celtics will sputter out....maybe fast

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Second-round exit losing to the Raptors?

If not, then NBA Finals but lose to Lakers, again, unfortunately. Not talented enough to contend with fully healthy LeBron and Davis.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
This question doesn't compute—what is a completely healthy Celtic team?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
    I think we can make it to the ECF if:

• Tatum somehow continues his Feb performances where he averaged 30-8-3 over 12 games. He tailed off a little after the ASG when he was constantly doubled but was still solid with 24-7-4
    • Hayward somehow continues the aggressive approach that has been a driving force behind Celtic victories. We want aggressive Gordon that creates opportunities for himself and others, not wallflower Gordon
    • We maintain our defense from December where we allowed 102 ppg, as opposed to what it was in Feb-March when we allowed 110 ppg.
    • Smart doesn't try and do too much offensively but remains a threat behind the 3 point line like he did in Jan-Feb where he shot over .375 behind the arc
    • Theis continues to do the hard work that nobody notices
    • Jaylen continues to be the all round two way player we need, averaging 22ppg which he was in 2020 while maintaining his defensive rating of 102-103 which he had in Nov-Dec 2019.
    • Kemba continues to be the senior statesman of the team, allowing Tatum and Brown to flourish while knowing when to take over a game if needed

I think if those things happen, and we can get more from our bench (which would include Smart if everyone is healthy), I think we can definitely reach the ECF. It will take a special effort to get to the Finals, I think it would depend on who we were playing. If it were Milwaukee it's going to be tough but I fancy our chances against anyone else. And if we do get to the Finals I like our chances against the Fakers! More so than against Milwaukee to be honest.

Let's hope they hit the ground running, they will have to given how little time there is to get ready for the playoffs. :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
For me this is pretty impossible to answer.  Are Kanter and Timelord both fully healthy?  I know Kamba and Jaylen had some injuries before the season ended as well.  If all those guys are completely healthy, then I wouldn’t be surprised if we make the ECF.  But I also wouldn’t be surprised at a 2nd round exit.  Really hard to know which teams are going to gel quickly and benefit from restarting the season like this. 

Normally I would think this break would give the veteran teams an edge because of rest and health.  But who really knows.  After not playing for 3 months it is hard to know where everyone’s head is at.  That isn’t a criticism, more just that these guys are just human.  We went through a pandemic, hard to switch that off.

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I really don't know. I think we're good enough to win it all, but at the same time I can see us losing to Toronto in the second round - they have an elite defence and point differential that will likely hold strong in the playoffs. I think the swing factor for all teams is how rusty their players are.

Btw I actually think LAL is a great matchup for us - their twin towers lineup will get run off the court by our modern lineups.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Best in the East. Would beat the Lakers in the Finals. Toss up in a matchup against the Clippers.

Finals bound.

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
It all comes down to Tatum. If he continues to play like he did in February/March, I think we're a near-lock for the ECF (but Toronto is one team that I think will do a good job of doubling him when needed, so he needs to be ready for that). If he can make another leap (probably be really improving his passing while doubled), we have a shot at more.

I'd be happy with the ECF or beyond, and just a little disappointed in a 2nd round exit. I would be very upset with a first round exit, I think we're way too good for that
I'm bitter.

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

This far - especially with Kemba getting what? Three months to rest his knees?

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I have a hunch Hayward will play with the intensity and skill we have rarely witnessed at Boston.    I think he has had time to reflect on where he wants the team to be , practice , heal and will be focusing like never before. I think he is hungry for a ring and ready.

(3 ) versatile,  100% healthy centers would , should , could carry us a long way .  Otherwise I m not hopeful to beat best of the best .

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Just saying that of all the playoff-teams the Celtics have the worst record against the 76ers (1-3) and as it stands that would be our first opponent in the playoffs, so I don't rule out a first round exit.

The Celtics have shown to be competitive against any opponent, so they're tough out for any, but they miss the superstar and depth of the Bucks, Clippers or Lakers to win a Championship.

The Celtics are going to have to play Wanamaker, Ojeleye/G.Williams and Kanter/R.Williams significant minutes and although they'll have their good moments I'm pretty sure they're going to hurt you during a full playoff series.

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
I would not be shocked at all if some team no one expected went on to have a red hot few months and won it all. And maybe that ends up being the Celtics.

Yes, everyone is healthy, but I do think rust + injury risk will be big factors that a lot of people are neglecting. Remember, these guys haven't played in over 2.5 months.

We do have a tough path though. Possibly a first round matchup with the Sixers, followed by the Raptors (without HCA), and then Bucks. Yikes. I hope we get someone else first round, then go from there.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
I think it depends on who they play in the 1st round.  I could see them losing in the first round with the wrong match-up.  I think they'd have a pretty good shot of beating the Raptors in the semis.  Can't see them beating Milwaukee (nor any team in the East beating Milwaukee). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
voted losing in the ECF --> I see think this is Milwaukee's year and they'd beat the C's in the ECF.  However, if they can beat the Bucks, I see them beating whoever comes out of the West for the title