Author Topic: Summer 2018 verified moves  (Read 84097 times)

Re: Summer 2018 verified moves
« Reply #345 on: July 08, 2018, 05:11:21 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
What is the fascination with Blowpez on this forum, lol? ;D

Well we took a shot on Monroe. I think clearly Blowpez is better than Monroe. Same speed, better shot blocker, better scorer. I am not advocating for Blowpez but it is what it is.

« Reply #346 on: July 08, 2018, 05:17:39 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

I have never for the life of me understood it either...

He's slow footed, coming off a serious foot injury, made of glass, and instead of being a post presence, he resorts to 37% of his shot attempts at 3 pointers, which is horrible. Can't rebound, his block shots probably attested to the system he was in, and the fact that he's a legit 7'0 or 7'1 big man. For the value he was given, sure, why not take a chance, but he's always been one of the worst defensive bigs.

Last 4 seasons: 72, 73, 75, and 74 games.  If that's "made of glass", I'd hate to see what other players are (I'd also like to know what serious foot injury he is coming off of, unless you mean the one in 2013-14 (which has not been a problem since then).  As for his shooting numbers, post players just aren't successful in this league anymore.  Adapt or die.  He added a 3 pointer, and it's helped him stay playable in the league (and more importantly at the time, Brooklyn's 3pt-focused offense)

If you want to talk him down, bring up his 5.4 and 4.0 rpg for the past two years (though he *apparently* is very good at boxing out) and inability to switch onto smaller players (even some PFs), but the injury stuff hasn't been true for 3 or 4 years
I'm bitter.

« Reply #347 on: July 08, 2018, 05:20:27 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Lopez would be a bad fit for the C’s

Sucks on defense and rebounding

Monroe with a 3 point shot.  He'd be nice in the regular season (especially if Al missed time), but he'd be completely unplayable in the playoffs.  I'd rather use the spot on a young guy or keep it open for a trade/buyout
I'm bitter.

« Reply #348 on: July 08, 2018, 05:23:31 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

I have never for the life of me understood it either...

He's slow footed, coming off a serious foot injury, made of glass, and instead of being a post presence, he resorts to 37% of his shot attempts at 3 pointers, which is horrible. Can't rebound, his block shots probably attested to the system he was in, and the fact that he's a legit 7'0 or 7'1 big man. For the value he was given, sure, why not take a chance, but he's always been one of the worst defensive bigs.

Last 4 seasons: 72, 73, 75, and 74 games.  If that's "made of glass", I'd hate to see what other players are (I'd also like to know what serious foot injury he is coming off of, unless you mean the one in 2013-14 (which has not been a problem since then).  As for his shooting numbers, post players just aren't successful in this league anymore.  Adapt or die.  He added a 3 pointer, and it's helped him stay playable in the league (and more importantly at the time, Brooklyn's 3pt-focused offense)

If you want to talk him down, bring up his 5.4 and 4.0 rpg for the past two years (though he *apparently* is very good at boxing out) and inability to switch onto smaller players (even some PFs), but the injury stuff hasn't been true for 3 or 4 years

It doesn't change the fact Lopez is a net negative on defense, which is my point about his foot injury. But sure, Lopez has managed to stay healthy, which is something I'm completely surprised by. You don't think being shooting more 3 pointers could be a factor to that?

Regardless, Ainge never showed that much interest in Lopez.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #349 on: July 08, 2018, 05:25:35 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/1016037859550085120

Milwaukee now can’t match an offer for Jabari Parker that starts at around $16 million in year 1 due to the hard cap without doing some work (trade or stretch provision).  Chicago can pretty easily get to $16 million in space — we’ll see if that happens.

From what I've seen reported, Parker doesn't want to be back in Milwaukee, and they don't really want him back either.

That doesn't mean Milwaukee won't match a reasonable offer, as keeping him opens up trade possibilities, but I don't think Milwaukee is really sweating the possibility of losing him either.

The bold text is the important aspect.  If they had zero intention of keeping Parker, they wouldn’t have extended him a qualifying offer.

« Reply #350 on: July 08, 2018, 07:34:36 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Lopez would be a bad fit for the C’s

Sucks on defense and rebounding

Monroe with a 3 point shot.  He'd be nice in the regular season (especially if Al missed time), but he'd be completely unplayable in the playoffs.  I'd rather use the spot on a young guy or keep it open for a trade/buyout

Always amazed by bigs who can block shots at high rates yet can't rebound or defend on an average level.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #351 on: July 08, 2018, 10:03:04 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
Sources: Charlotte, Chicago and Orlando finalizing trade that includes Mozgov to Magic, Biyombo to Charlotte and Julyan Stone to Bulls.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1015758243950465024

Delighted Biyombo is getting out of Orlando. That dude deserves a lot more playing time. He should be starting and playing 28-32mpg.

Time to lay the biSMACK down

#SinkTheBismack ;D

Hah! 😹👍🏼
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #352 on: July 08, 2018, 10:33:12 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24015723/jusuf-nurkic-agrees-4-year-48-million-deal-remain-portland-trail-blazers

Is it just me or is 12 per a STEAL for Nurkic???

What am I not seeing?

Can't believe the Blazers don't make sideways moves away from Lillard, or apply to change conferences - maybe relocate to Buffalo or Jacksonville.

Actually city that needs NBA team would make for interesting conversation. Another time
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #353 on: July 08, 2018, 10:41:35 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24015723/jusuf-nurkic-agrees-4-year-48-million-deal-remain-portland-trail-blazers

What am I not seeing?

Can't believe the Blazers don't make sideways moves away from Lillard, or apply to change conferences - maybe relocate to Buffalo or Jacksonville.

Actually city that needs NBA team would make for interesting conversation. Another time

Depends what way you think the league is going.  Nurkic-like centers are going out of style, and in 3 games of 4 in the playoffs his interior scoring didn’t make up for his other deficiencies.  Perhaps that’s just small sample size — we’ll find out over the next four years I guess.

« Reply #354 on: July 09, 2018, 05:33:05 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

« Reply #355 on: July 09, 2018, 10:19:35 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

« Reply #356 on: July 09, 2018, 10:33:51 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

What am I not seeing?

Depends what way you think the league is going.  Nurkic-like centers are going out of style, and in 3 games of 4 in the playoffs his interior scoring didn’t make up for his other deficiencies.  Perhaps that’s just small sample size — we’ll find out over the next four years I guess.

While I agree Nurkic is 'plodding' and plodding centers are certainly going out of style, i might quibble with saying 'Nurkic-like centers' because IMO he does have a pretty unique skillset.

He's a legitimate shotblocker (not a very good defender but contradictorily, still a somewhat of a rim protector) and probably a near-elite big man passer with scoring ability.  I also kind of feel like it's a good deal, but I'm really not sure.  I just think Nurkic has a unique blend of skills and I can't think of that many guys like him.  He's just not the typical 'plodder' to me.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #357 on: July 09, 2018, 03:34:45 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
The Denver Nuggets are signing forward/guard Torrey Craig to a guaranteed two-year, $4M deal, agent Johnny Foster tells Yahoo.

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1016394139724759041?s=21

« Reply #358 on: July 09, 2018, 03:48:01 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
The Denver Nuggets are signing forward/guard Torrey Craig to a guaranteed two-year, $4M deal, agent Johnny Foster tells Yahoo.

Coming off a 2-way contract last year.  Interesting as a potential comp for where Bird’s deal might come out.

« Reply #359 on: July 09, 2018, 03:53:00 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Coming off a 2-way contract last year.  Interesting as a potential comp for where Bird’s deal might come out.

I hope not.  Bird has done nothing to warrant a deal for above the minimum, or a second year guarantee.

32.5% 3PT%, 59.7% FT% in Maine last year

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes