Author Topic: Looking to Possibly Relocate to Portsmouth, NH area. Suggestions?  (Read 3361 times)

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Hi all.

Entertaining a job offer that would have me relocate to the Portsmouth area. Any NH folks have suggestions on the area in regards to rentals?

Thanks!
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Re: Looking to Possibly Relocate to Portsmouth, NH area. Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 07:33:47 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Good luck.

What are the parameters for living arrangements, e.g. size, commute, price range, etc.

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 07:45:50 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
Good luck.

What are the parameters for living arrangements, e.g. size, commute, price range, etc.

Good details, huh?

Hopefully around 1k and within 20-25 minutes? Doesnt need to be big and probably the more "rural" the better.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 07:55:02 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Just north of Portsmouth over the river maybe into Maine is an area called the bergs or something along that idea.  It is rural and beautiful, sorry been to long since I've been there.  It's probably in Maine but east of kittery.

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 08:08:25 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Good luck.

Good details, huh?

Hopefully around 1k and within 20-25 minutes? Doesnt need to be big and probably the more "rural" the better.

Ah, no worries.

I lived in Dover during the housing boom. It was nuts.  A guy had 103 messages by noon after putting a 1 bedroom for rent in the paper.

Anyway, looking rural decreases both price and options, oddly enough. The main commuting corridors are unpleasant. Look northwest for price/distance value, and consider commutes along secondary roads. NH is weird like that. For example, I commuted to UNH from Gilmanton along country roads in about 30 minutes by going through barnstead and avoiding route 4.

Rochester area would be close to the northern edge of 30 minutes. It gets rural/cheaper north of that, but the commute down 16 includes tolls and is a bit mind numbing.

So...concerned about schools or crime?  How about a mobile home? 

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 08:40:28 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
Just north of Portsmouth over the river maybe into Maine is an area called the bergs or something along that idea.  It is rural and beautiful, sorry been to long since I've been there.  It's probably in Maine but east of kittery.
The Berwicks...
Nice country.
Commute could be interesting.
Portsmouth is a great town.
Lots of culture, lots of do, but a small town.
Highly recommend it.

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 09:40:43 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

It’s probably not worth paying Maine income tax, Maine excise tax, etc.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 11:53:23 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
In Maine I'd try Eliot, South Berwick, and Berwick. They are right by Dover but might be a bit cheaper. Sales tax is mostly irrelevant as you'll be shopping in NH.

Madbury in NH is another idea that should be cheaper than Dover. Decent town, right near UNH (lots of activities there, hockey football, music, etc). I'd check out Kingston and Brentwood as well.

Somersworth and Rochester are cheap but scuzzy. There are decent areas in the rural outskirts though. Lots of poverty and substance abuse in the downtown areas. They aren't dangerous places, just economically depressed and a little weird.

Overall I'd stick moderately close to Route 16 (Spaulding Turnpike). It makes travel go just about anywhere so much easier.

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 06:05:19 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
In Maine I'd try Eliot, South Berwick, and Berwick. They are right by Dover but might be a bit cheaper. Sales tax is mostly irrelevant as you'll be shopping in NH.

Madbury in NH is another idea that should be cheaper than Dover. Decent town, right near UNH (lots of activities there, hockey football, music, etc). I'd check out Kingston and Brentwood as well.

Somersworth and Rochester are cheap but scuzzy. There are decent areas in the rural outskirts though. Lots of poverty and substance abuse in the downtown areas. They aren't dangerous places, just economically depressed and a little weird.

Overall I'd stick moderately close to Route 16 (Spaulding Turnpike). It makes travel go just about anywhere so much easier.
Berwick was area i was trying to remember, really nice

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 06:12:14 AM »

Offline OnPoint

• NCE
  • Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 128
Be prepared to live free, because otherwise...

I might suggest Salem. It would give you close access to Portsmouth and Boston for home Celtics games.

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 06:19:31 AM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
There are options at the outer edge of your commuting tolerance in Newmarket and Newfields area. Depending on timing, if you arrive before the summer season there are inexpensive month-to-month off-season rentals at Hampton Beach. That will give you a place to stay while you scope out longer-term options, as long as you are out by around Memorial Day..
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 07:38:15 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
Thanks for all the feedback!
*CB Miami Heat*

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 08:16:17 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

It’s probably not worth paying Maine income tax, Maine excise tax, etc.

I was going to say the same thing. If you were purchasing a property, the taxes in NH are pretty killer, but as a renter, you should take advantage of no state income tax and no sales tax in your immediate area.

I was born in Portsmouth and grew up just outside of it. It certainly isn't a big town (the downtown is fantastic for its size as I'm sure you know, though) There are a lot of nice small towns within 25-30 minutes. As others have said, you can try up toward Dover on Rt. 16, down around Hampton/Seabrook on 95, Durham/Epsom on Rt. 4, or Newmarket/Stratham with a combination of the last two (or something like Rt. 33). Rte 16 is the only thing that can be killer, but (as More Banners mentioned), there are always ways around traffic with back roads.

Good luck in your search and enjoy your new adventure! I have since moved to Florida, but still get back up to that area once a year.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 08:52:55 PM by jambr380 »