Author Topic: Suggestions to changing next year's CB NBA Draft to make it better.  (Read 61280 times)

Re: Suggestions to changing next year's CB NBA Draft to make it better.
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2009, 05:06:05 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
More Scroll Mesages and c   o    lo    r  s

Portland is the "Public Enemy" of this league. Roy would end up being the militant tough lead MC, Chuck D, and Edgar you'd probably be Flavor Flav the original hype man. Sorry.

We'll take that as a compliment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y_VFGrGnCE

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2009, 05:12:46 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I would say if you aren't available to make one of your first two picks(In Person) your franchise should be given to another GM that can be more active in the league. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2009, 05:22:54 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think that first round or two rounds are the most important for any franchise. waiting a half hour or two picks or whatever to save the ownership to the team to a player that couldn't be there for the first round and couldn't contact the commissioner to give him a list of players to select or another player is garbage.

If the player can't be able to do any of those things in the three week lead up to the draft, they don't deserve the franchise. And honestly, the franchise shouldn't suffer because their owner/manager is bad. There are a bunch of people who want to play in waiting. Immediately put the round on hold and then give the franchise away and 1-2 minutes for that person to make the pick.

I think too much import is being given to the owner and not enough to the integrity of the franchise and the game as a whole by some.

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2009, 05:24:03 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I think that first round or two rounds are the most important for any franchise. waiting a half hour or two picks or whatever to save the ownership to the team to a player that couldn't be there for the first round and couldn't contact the commissioner to give him a list of players to select or another player is garbage.

If the player can't be able to do any of those things in the three week lead up to the draft, they don't deserve the franchise. And honestly, the franchise shouldn't suffer because their owner/manager is bad. There are a bunch of people who want to play in waiting. Immediately put the round on hold and then give the franchise away and 1-2 minutes for that person to make the pick.

I think too much import is being given to the owner and not enough to the integrity of the franchise and the game as a whole by some.

agree 100 percent

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2009, 05:25:29 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

I disagree.  In your scenario, a very active GM, with three years under their belt and who made a bunch of predraft trades, loses their team if they're 15 minutes late because they got stuck in traffic.  I think that's draconian.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2009, 05:28:56 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
and we survive without a top 45 pick and still have the best and deepest team in the league

Wait...yes

CrotorNats rocks
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2009, 05:29:44 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I agree with Nick's idea. It hurts a franchise too much.

I'd also like to see a rule that if a player is still in the NBA or an NBA free agent when drafted, they still count as a player even if they sign in Europe two weeks after.

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2009, 05:29:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I disagree.  In your scenario, a very active GM, with three years under their belt and who made a bunch of predraft trades, loses their team if they're 15 minutes late because they got stuck in traffic.  I think that's draconian.
So after making all those moves that he apparently has the foresight to do he doesn't have the foresight to provide a list of players to the commissioner or another player to head of the outside chance he gets stuck in traffic or a meeting.

Seems pretty stupid and unorganized on that owners part. They have the ability to make trades, go through negotiations, do a draft board but at no time in the WEEKS before the draft he doesn't have 3 minutes to send a list to the commissioner as an emergency in case he isn't going to be available?

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2009, 05:31:00 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
I don't like the 10 minute rule.  I couldn't care less about GMs squatting on picks, that's their option.  No matter what each day of the draft runs until about 5 no matter what, so it's not like we accomplish anything by picking as quickly as possible.  If anything, it's an added bonus to see antsy GMs squirm in the interim and pick fights with other GMs over absolutely nothing.

Please, no more scrolling text.  I don't even bother reading them anymore.

I also liked the "miss 2 picks, get the boot" rule.  If we have to go to a 28 or 29 team league as a result that's fine.  By now we have an idea of who the GMs are that will show up and participate, and we can give them preferred franchises if demand is unreasonably high next year.

CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2009, 05:32:55 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
and we survive without a top 45 pick and still have the best and deepest team in the league

Wait...yes

CrotorNats rocks

you also had a chance to create a draft strategy..position yourself before hand and set it in motion...like your scrolling text!!

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2009, 05:33:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Wait...yes

CrotorNats rocks

Point of truth, you had the 16th pick in the first round and traded out to acquire extra picks. That's a bit different than having the 14th pick and being penalized by not being able to take that pick until after the 46th pick because you get the franchise way late.

Completely different things.

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2009, 05:33:33 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

So after making all those moves that he apparently has the foresight to do he doesn't have the foresight to provide a list of players to the commissioner or another player to head of the outside chance he gets stuck in traffic or a meeting.

Seems pretty stupid and unorganized on that owners part. They have the ability to make trades, go through negotiations, do a draft board but at no time in the WEEKS before the draft he doesn't have 3 minutes to send a list to the commissioner as an emergency in case he isn't going to be available?

Emergencies happen.  Unforeseen circumstances happen.  Did you, nick, email Dons or somebody with a list of players before your pick?  What if you got an important business call?  Would you have told the person on the other line, "Sorry, I can't take your call, I need to draft Stephen Jackson in my fake blog fantasy draft?"

I think folks are taking this game *way* too seriously if they can't forgive somebody an hour of lateness.

"I think too much import is being given to the owner and not enough to the integrity of the franchise and the game as a whole by some."

God forbid, we show a little leniency to the owners (you know, our colleagues on this blog).  It should be all about the "integrity of the game".  I think maybe folks are starting to take this a little too seriously. 

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2009, 05:33:52 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
except Edgar even though you didnt have a top 45 pick.  Players that miss their first alltogether are more likely not to have been so busy before the draft and given themselves a great deal of picks After #45.  Those that missed their picks this year werent super active.  I do agree with Roy that things happen so i think missing one pick shouldnt stop the draft, but maybe missing the first day all together should cause the franchise to be given away.  

That way the receiver of the franchise can pick before the second round.  
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2009, 05:34:09 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
I don't like the 10 minute rule.  I couldn't care less about GMs squatting on picks, that's their option.  No matter what each day of the draft runs until about 5 no matter what, so it's not like we accomplish anything by picking as quickly as possible.  If anything, it's an added bonus to see antsy GMs squirm in the interim and pick fights with other GMs over absolutely nothing.

Please, no more scrolling text.  I don't even bother reading them anymore.

I also liked the "miss 2 picks, get the boot" rule.  If we have to go to a 28 or 29 team league as a result that's fine.  By now we have an idea of who the GMs are that will show up and participate, and we can give them preferred franchises if demand is unreasonably high next year.

its your right

and for the positioning all trades were made in days or hours prior the draft
day.

and thats why picking a Co Gm is not bad idea at all
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2009, 05:34:58 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Also, I would like to see owners that didnt make picks this year or put together press conferences not be given a team next year.