Author Topic: Suggestions to changing next year's CB NBA Draft to make it better.  (Read 61280 times)

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Just thought that I saw a lot of people discussing how things might be better if this was different or that was different. So I thought a suggestion thread would be in order and the powers that be could discuss any possible changes.

I'll start:

1.) There's a need for 2 commissioners or at least a commissioner and assistant commissioner. Maybe one mod and one non-mod. I think the work load could really be reduced that way and the whole thing won't be in the hands of one person, making their life bearable during that time.

2.) I would love to see a rule change where what happened to the Minnesota franchise this year isn't allowed to happen ever again. There were lots of extra people looking to get a franchise and we had to wait for the two missed draft pick rules in the first two rounds before giving CIO the TWolves franchise. What if we have all the extra players tune into the draft and if a team misses their pick in the first round, we give the next person in line one minute to take over the club and make a pick. This entire draft would have been completely different if the Minnesota situation was handled differently.

Re: Suggestions to changing next year's CB NBA Draft to make it better.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 04:32:56 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
More Scroll Mesages and c   o    lo    r  s
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 04:38:09 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I'd say the return of the "10 minute rule", to keep people from squatting on picks.

Maybe a rule that if you miss your press conference, you're ineligible in the playoff voting.

Overall, though, I think everything ran extremely smoothly, and I don't think we need to really make any changes.  I was a bit puzzled by the call for a dual-commissioner system, as I thought Dons was on top of everything this year.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 04:40:03 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245

Portland is the "Public Enemy" of this league. Roy would end up being the militant tough lead MC, Chuck D, and Edgar you'd probably be Flavor Flav the original hype man. Sorry.

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 04:40:48 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
Couldn't the scrolling text be used more throughout CelticsBlog for the enjoyment
Yup

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 04:43:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I'd say the return of the "10 minute rule", to keep people from squatting on picks.

Maybe a rule that if you miss your press conference, you're ineligible in the playoff voting.

Overall, though, I think everything ran extremely smoothly, and I don't think we need to really make any changes.  I was a bit puzzled by the call for a dual-commissioner system, as I thought Dons was on top of everything this year.
It was more a conversation I had with Dons saying that it was a ton of work and tough to do at times. We discussed possible future help for the commission. It has nothing to do with a reflection of the job Dons did, which was fantastic. Just maybe it's gotten to big a job for one man.

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 04:43:28 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
1. shorten it by a round

2. add a round where you draft your coach

3. The Minnesota rule: you miss your first pick in the first round without setting up someone to pick for you then your franchise is awarded to the next person in line...that person still gets 1-2 minutes to make a legit first round pick at the same spot..it was very difficult to wait until midway through the second round to be able to draft 2 players...

4. gap between the morning and afternoon sessions needs to be shorter

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 04:44:54 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
What's the "10 minute rule"

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 04:55:44 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all

IIRC, i think it was if you're online and you're up, you have 10 mins to make your pick... no going online at 10:30 when you're up but have until 11:00 to make your pick and posting "I'll listen to offers for the next 20 mins"...
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 04:57:22 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Let's say a GM has the 10th pick in the draft, and is due to make a pick at 10:30.

The first nine picks are all concluded by, let's say, 9:45.  If -- and only if -- the GM with the 10th pick checks into the thread, his pick is due 10 minutes from the time he shows up.  This prevents people from "squatting" on a pick, and it helps keep the draft moving.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 04:59:24 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
I don't like the idea of immediately giving away a franchise if an owner misses their first round pick.  Sometimes, things come up. 

Maybe a rule that if an owner misses his or her pick by more than an hour, the franchise can be removed. 

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 05:00:26 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I don't like the idea of immediately giving away a franchise if an owner misses their first round pick.  Sometimes, things come up. 

Maybe a rule that if an owner misses his or her pick by more than an hour, the franchise can be removed. 

I like that.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 05:01:25 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
The return of Maestro I hear you say?

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 05:01:37 PM »

• Rajon Rondo
1. shorten it by a round

2. add a round where you draft your coach

i think you do one or the other.

adding in drafting of coaches & keeping 15 rounds means (14 rounds of players + 1 coach --- regardless of where you took the coach). if you do both it's 13 rounds of players + 1 round of coach.

I think there was less talent in the 14th/15th round b/c of the relatively shallow draft... add another 15 guys in and you don't have that problem as much. The guys taken in the 14th/15th last year were better IMO.

3. The Minnesota rule: you miss your first pick in the first round without setting up someone to pick for you then your franchise is awarded to the next person in line...that person still gets 1-2 minutes to make a legit first round pick at the same spot..it was very difficult to wait until midway through the second round to be able to draft 2 players...

agree ---- or contract to say 28 teams (not that one of *those* teams couldn't fall into the same boat as the orig. MIN did...)

4. gap between the morning and afternoon sessions needs to be shorter

i liked it but could see how shorter is better.

LOVED the 2 rounds a day for rnds 6-15 tough and thought the break was better then.

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 05:03:07 PM »

• Rajon Rondo

Let's say a GM has the 10th pick in the draft, and is due to make a pick at 10:30.

The first nine picks are all concluded by, let's say, 9:45.  If -- and only if -- the GM with the 10th pick checks into the thread, his pick is due 10 minutes from the time he shows up.  This prevents people from "squatting" on a pick, and it helps keep the draft moving.

right, while maintaining the ability of players who *can* only check in during their 10 min window to still have it.