Poll

Which team is most likely to win the "fake" Northwest division in 2008-09?

Denver (Brand, Bibby, R. Jefferson, R. Bell,  Mutombo, etc.)
2 (6.9%)
Minnesota (Lebron, Calderon, R. Brewer, Amir Johnson, Biedrins, etc.)
5 (17.2%)
Oklahoma City (Beasley, Camby, Salmons, Crawford, Starbury, etc.)
0 (0%)
Portland (Amare, Iguodala, Gay, Horford, Ford, etc.)
22 (75.9%)
Utah  (Tmac, J.Johnson, Diop, Udrih, Aldridge, etc.)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Celticsblog Mock GM Press Conferences: Northwest Division  (Read 44786 times)

Re: Celticsblog Mock GM Press Conferences: Northwest Division
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2008, 12:15:48 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I say my most important guy is Amare.  If he commits himself defensively and really buys into a team concept, this team has the potential to be unstoppable.  He's already the best offensive big man in the NBA, and he has the potential to be better.  If he fulfills his potential this season, Portland *will* win the championship, there's not a doubt in my mind.  In terms of talent, there's no way this kid should have been available to me at #9.  He just needs to up his commitment on D (which will be helped by sliding over to the 4) and focus entirely on basketball.  There's little doubt in my mind that Coach Dale will get through to him.

So Roy is already aware of my skepticism, leaving that aside, the above style of argument is a league-wide trend that I'd love to head off. In as abstract an exercise as this, it's best - in my opinion - if GMs keep to a minimum their efforts to change a leopard's spots. I don't want to head off all debate, certainly there will be players in '08-'09 season who will out perform expectations (and each GM rightly believes those are his guys.) But more than likely Milicic will be impressive only in fits and starts; Durant won't begin scoring on the block next season; and Amare, despite having all the physical tools, will remain a woefully uninspired defender. (For example, he didn't look any better defending power forwards next to O'Neal than he did defending centers next to Marion, who is anyway, a far, far, better defender than either Shaq or Al Horford.)

From my perspective, regardless of whether Amare individually improves -- and I *do* think players can improve their defense -- the team scheme in Portland is a lot better than it was in Phoenix.  Also, Amare makes up for any lack of defense by being extremely, extremely effective on offense.

I'm not counting on Amare to become a defensive stopper.  If he did make that transition, though, I really think it would elevate this team to an unmatched level.  Even assuming poor defense from him, though, Portland is going to be the co-favorite, along with a handful of other squads.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 12:22:45 PM by Roy Hobbs »

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2008, 12:19:13 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
I added a poll at the top.  Hopefully zerophase is here soon to give his press conference.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2008, 12:30:15 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I voted for the Blazers but I actually think my team matches up pretty well with the starting 5's of the teams in my Division.
Yup

« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2008, 12:32:50 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
I voted for the Blazers but I actually think my team matches up pretty well with the starting 5's of the teams in my Division.

The only question I have about your starting lineup is one of those "sum of its parts" type things.  Starbury...  yikes.  Can he play team ball?  I do like John Salmons a lot.  He's not a star, but he is very solid.

« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2008, 12:35:35 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

The only question I have about your starting lineup is one of those "sum of its parts" type things.  Starbury...  yikes.  Can he play team ball?  I do like John Salmons a lot.  He's not a star, but he is very solid.

You're forgetting the Scals factor Roy.  Scals will screw Starbury's head on straight.  In fact we're mandating the name Starbury be banned and he will now be known as Share-bury.
Yup

« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2008, 12:43:32 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
I added a poll at the top.  Hopefully zerophase is here soon to give his press conference.

Thanks for all your work Roy.. is there some way to tabulate at the end of "Western" week who we think the 8 playoff teams are?

If not and GMs want to PM me their picks (so we're not influenced by one another), i'll tabulate.
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2008, 12:44:44 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie

I haven't made up my mind, to me the race in the Northwest in one of the muddiest, and I remain surprised that Portland is a clear favorite. I wouldn't discount OKC's chances out of hand; Marbury, Crawford, Davis and Beasley ought to get opposing defenses scrambling. I'd imagine they'll lose ugly sometimes but could beat anyone on any given night.

I love the thought of Antoine Walker organizing 3PT shooting drills in practice. What's the record number of shot attempts on a season?

« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2008, 12:45:13 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
and the later if nothing else for his constant scrolling text which I for some reason find hilarious. 

[dang] GC, Why didn't you say so sooner, I've been busting my rear here trying to get laughs out of you all ;D

Who knew it was so easy?

Oklahoma City Angry Pickles (aka Thunder/former Sonics)

Are you trying to get me fired Redz? I'm laughing hysterically --- for the life of me, i really don't know why that big scrolling text is so darn funny. TP, man!!
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2008, 12:46:18 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Thanks for all your work Roy.. is there some way to tabulate at the end of "Western" week who we think the 8 playoff teams are?

If not and GMs want to PM me their picks (so we're not influenced by one another), i'll tabulate.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to do that.  Maybe just do a poll with all 15 teams, and say "vote for 8 options".  Then, go by number of votes to determine seeds, with maybe the staff deciding any tie-breakers.  Does that sound equitable?  I only propose that as an option, because I worry that people are losing interest in this already.

« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2008, 12:47:12 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Minnesota Timberwolves

PG - Jose Calderon
SG - Ronnie Brewer
SF - LeBron "The King" James
PF - Reggie Evans
C  - Andris Biedrins

Reserves:

PG - Keyon Dooling
SG - Anthony Parker
SF - Nicolas Batum
PF - Amir Johnson / Joey Dorsey
C - Aaron Gray / Javale McGee

Inactive:

PG - Ronnie Price
SG - Sonny Weems
SF - Mickael Gelabale

Overseas:

PG - Air Bud
C - Leonid Stadnik (8'6" and still growing.... and rumor has it he has a sweet face up J.  Yao, eat your heart out.)

Big Ticket, outside of perhaps Calderon, your starting five (and arguably your entire roster) features players known better for their defensive skills or are otherwise not capable of creating their own shots. Are you at all concerned that defenses will simply double- (or triple-) team LeBron and dare the rest of your squad to score? Unless King James can average 35 points+ a game this season, I have a hard time seeing this team winning many games.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2008, 12:48:42 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I'm trying to figure out the best way to do that.  Maybe just do a poll with all 15 teams, and say "vote for 8 options".  Then, go by number of votes to determine seeds, with maybe the staff deciding any tie-breakers.  Does that sound equitable?  I only propose that as an option, because I worry that people are losing interest in this already.

I figured on Monday, we would have a poll for each division to pick one team from each.  Tuesday, we put the rest of the teams into two polls for each conference.  Everyone gets 5 picks.  Top 5 teams from each get in the playoff.  

« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2008, 12:49:35 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

I haven't made up my mind, to me the race in the Northwest in one of the muddiest, and I remain surprised that Portland is a clear favorite. I wouldn't discount OKC's chances out of hand; Marbury, Crawford, Davis and Beasley ought to get opposing defenses scrambling. I'd imagine they'll lose ugly sometimes but could beat anyone on any given night.

Can you explain your lack of faith in Portland a little more clearly?  I'm trying to be objective, but I think that they're pretty clearly the best team in their division.  They've got the best starters, they've got the second best player, and they've got the best bench.

You've stated several times that you're not sold on the Blazers.  I totally respect that, but I just don't understand your reasons.  (I mean, you listed them outside your top-ten...  that doesn't make much sense to me).  Is it just a gut feeling, the fact that you don't like Amare, the fact that the starters are young, health concerns? 

« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2008, 12:54:31 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
So how is the best team eventually determined? And how is the best "future" team determined?

Have I missed a ruling on this? I've read through the pages and haven't seen anything.

« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2008, 01:00:03 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Roster

C  - Marcus Camby, Francisco Elson, Scot Pollard (media rep)
PF - Michael Beasley, Craig Smith,  Brian Scalabrine (player/coach)
SF - John Salmons, Antoine Walker, J.R. Giddens
SG - Jamal Crawford, Ricky Davis, Quincy Douby
PG - Stephon Marbury, Marcus Williams, Sam Cassell

Redz, I do like your starting five, questions about Marbury's ego aside. Are you concerned about throwing the rookie Beasley into the fire (the brine?) right off the bat?

Recent comments from within the Heat organization suggest the real-life Beasley's natural position may be the 3. Do you agree? What happens to your team makeup if, in fact, Beasley turns out to be a SF instead of a PF?

Will the Angry Pickles have cheerleaders?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2008, 01:09:47 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Redz, I do like your starting five, questions about Marbury's ego aside. Are you concerned about throwing the rookie Beasley into the fire (the brine?) right off the bat?

No.  Let him live and learn.

Recent comments from within the Heat organization suggest the real-life Beasley's natural position may be the 3. Do you agree? What happens to your team makeup if, in fact, Beasley turns out to be a SF instead of a PF?
That would indeed be a concern since I sort if feel like Salmons is somewhat of a stretch at SF and more suited to play the 2 guard (but that's just me, I'm sure Scals will figure that out).  The forward slots are definitely an area we'd like firm up and have the flexibility of moving everyone down a slot.  Perhaps Craig Smith could wiggle his way into the PF role more prominently.

Will the Angry Pickles have cheerleaders?

Oh hell no.  The Angry Pickle dude's undies are already a wee bit too revealing for our taste, but he refuses to wear anything else.
Yup