Author Topic: Welcome to the team Grant Williams!  (Read 7504 times)

Welcome to the team Grant Williams!
« on: June 20, 2019, 10:05:09 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Figured each of these guys should get their own positive thread. I don't know a lot about him, but I've heard things that I've liked. Welcome to the squad!
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

Re: Welcome to the team Grant Williams!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 10:06:51 PM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
Grant Williams = Reverse Kyrie Irving 🙌🏻

https://twitter.com/Stadium/status/1141888341299859456?s=20

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 10:07:03 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Figured each of these guys should get their own positive thread. I don't know a lot about him, but I've heard things that I've liked. Welcome to the squad!

Undersized pf with poor athleticsm.

Excellent pick

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 10:07:47 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Williams was one of my guys. Strong as an ox with all-round skills on both ends. Our Draymond to be ;D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 10:08:57 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I love this pick, especially after reading Max' scouting report on CelticsBlog; had him rated 4th in draft!!

Grant Williams, Forward
If you follow me on Twitter, you’re familiar with my affinity for Grant Williams. Williams is the strongest player in the Draft, arguably the smartest, and undoubtedly my favorite. While skeptics have often pointed to Williams’ size as detrimental to his NBA translation, he quieted those concerns at the combine, measuring in at 6’7.5” with a 6’9.75”. Williams has NBA forward height and length, but his outlier physical tool is his strength.

Embedded video

Max Carlin
@maxacarlin
 some GRANT

4:43 PM - Jun 9, 2019
See Max Carlin's other Tweets
Twitter Ads info and privacy
On the glass, defending larger players, impacting shots at the rim, finishing through contact, carving out space to get his shot off, Williams applies his strength at an utterly elite level. And that’s not going to change in the NBA:

Sam Vecenie

@Sam_Vecenie
 · Jun 14, 2019
 Grant Williams is considered by most teams a late 1st, early 2nd rounder. I disagree, and have him at No. 15 on my board.

Why? He’s tailor-made for the modern NBA. I spent a day with him in Santa Barbara, and wrote a breakdown of why I believe in him: https://theathletic.com/996385/2019/06/14/grant-williams-and-the-challenge-of-scouting-a-player-whose-role-will-be-different-in-the-nba/

View image on Twitter

Sam Vecenie

@Sam_Vecenie
Everyone knows Grant Williams is a strong dude. But at P3, they tested that strength. On his first day there, at only 20 years old, Williams came in the 96th percentile among their database of hundreds of current/past NBA players regardless of position. https://theathletic.com/996385/2019/06/14/grant-williams-and-the-challenge-of-scouting-a-player-whose-role-will-be-different-in-the-nba/

11:51 AM - Jun 14, 2019
View image on Twitter
75 people are talking about this
Williams’ strength needs to be discussed more as a game-changing athletic trait. Strength, when applied to all the aspects of the game Williams applies it to, is as valuable as any athletic ability. Watch players lacking positional size like Marcus Smart or PJ Tucker dominate defensively through strength. Tune into the highest levels of play to see Kawhi Leonard ride strength to a Finals MVP. Physically, Williams has the tools to exert his will on NBA basketball games.

Where some worry about Williams’ physical abilities is on the perimeter with respect to his movement skills:

Embedded video

Max Carlin
@maxacarlin
 Grant moving pretty well

2:06 PM - May 15, 2019
I find this to be a legitimate, though overblown, concern. Williams moves well laterally, but has two somewhat significant issues: 1) he’s jumpy on the perimeter 2) he has a very wide turning radius when forced to change direction, which allows for offensive players to create a fair amount of space with east-west movement. I don’t think these are [dang]ing flaws. They put a cap on Williams’ perimeter defense, but only to the degree that he should be solid and unremarkable as opposed to a difference-maker.

Williams is a difference-maker on the interior:

Embedded video

Max Carlin
@maxacarlin
 Gets dunked on in the end but Grant Williams

3:17 AM - Jan 13, 2019
Strength is key to Williams’ defensive brilliance, but intelligence is as integral. He’s a genius with elite awareness and recognition. He routinely makes point-saving out-of-area plays and consistently imprints himself on the game possession after possession. Williams is a defensive playmaker:

Embedded video

Max Carlin
@maxacarlin
 KING

2:19 PM - Mar 24, 2019
He’s an offensive playmaker, too:

Embedded video

Max Carlin
@maxacarlin
 The screen. The pass. The board. GRANT in 10 seconds.

1:03 AM - May 26, 2019
Williams is a passing savant. He not only has elite vision and court awareness, but he’s an anticipatory passer, capable of leading teammates like a quarterback and seeing defensive weak points before they exist. In the NBA, he should dominate as a short roll playmaker and post facilitator.

He’s no slouch as a scorer, either. Williams was a high-volume, elite-efficiency (97th percentile) post scorer in college. While I doubt he’ll be that prolific in the NBA, Williams should continue to be successful using strength to generate space for his jumper, which has a high release point that Williams easily gets off over contests from longer players.

While he’s an elite mid-range shooter, Williams has yet to consistently extend his range to 3 (he attempted 46 3-pointers this year), but elite touch and mid-range shooting, projectable mechanics, and strong free-throw percentage (81.9% on 7 attempts per contest this year) have me optimistic range is a matter of when not if for Williams.

The best indicator of whether a prospect will be a good basketball player in the future is whether he was a good basketball player in the past. There are no more than three players in this class who have been better at basketball than Williams in the past. And Williams has achieved that level of goodness despite being a very young junior, still just 20 years old through late November.

I expect Williams to step in immediately as a versatile defensive wrecking ball, potent short roll playmaker, exceptional mid-range finisher, and pick-and-pop threat. It won’t be conventional stardom, and there are certainly outcomes where Williams is too vulnerable defending the perimeter and hesitant shooting the 3, but he should be incredibly valuable and irreplaceable complementary player on good teams for a long time.

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 10:09:03 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

Excellent pick
Do you enjoy bringing nasty negativity to a congratulations thread?
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 10:11:23 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Welcome Grant Williams! Celticsblog wont welcome you. ;)

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2019, 10:12:24 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Excellent pick
Just wait until we don't trade Hayward!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2019, 10:12:55 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Hey Grant, have fun sitting behind Semi! :o

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2019, 10:18:32 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Hey Grant, have fun sitting behind Semi! :o

Williams will get good minutes next season.  More of an inside game than Semi. More of a power forward.

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2019, 10:19:11 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
https://www.thestepien.com/2019/06/20/team-centric-boards/

Grant Williams- Williams is a top 10 player on my board, but it appears he is going to be drafted nowhere near that. Consensus amongst the big name mocks has him at an average of pick 25, which again is much lower than I agree with. The disparity makes it a little tougher to provide context with him on a team board, so I’m explaining it here. Depending on how the draft goes, I think teams as high as Atlanta at #10, or Minnesota at #11 should heavily consider Grant Williams. With that being said, they should absolutely try and trade back at their spots, depending on who is there(Clarke=”who”). For example, if Clarke is gone at 11, I would call Boston and try and swing pick 11 for pick 20 and 22. Of course there’s no guarantee Boston does that, but maybe they are very high on somebody left. The overall point is this is a trade back draft for two reasons. Reason #1: the top end talent isn’t anywhere near “can’t miss”. Reason #2: there are some very good players sliding down the draft which can allow you to get equal talent and an extra asset if you trade back. So for THIS specific team board I’m doing, I will list Grant as high as I feel comfortable with, while explaining to you here that I’d first try and trade back, and if that didn’t work, I’m comfortable reaching on the player I think is better.

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2019, 10:21:27 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

Excellent pick

I was stating his good qualities.

Side note. I can voice my displeasure. Wife is uninterested in it all.

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2019, 10:21:33 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Loving this draft so far.

Grant Williams is a beast. Think I read that he has the biggest hands in the draft.

Welcome to Boston Grant.

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2019, 10:25:32 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
Williams is an undersized forward at 6’7 which is small for a player who lacks in athleticism and makes most of his impact in the post … Not an explosive athlete, plays below the rim … Foul prone, fouled out of 4 games including two matchups against top talent in the country in Gonzaga and Kansas … Williams struggles to stay in front of quicker guards due to his lack of athleticism and height … While capable of hitting from beyond the arc, Williams digressed from his freshman year to junior year. Very capable from mid-range and the free throw line, but needs to continually improve from three if he plans to find a role as a small-ball four in the NBA … Hesitant to utilize jumper, typically makes impact in the post or opts to pass on open shot to get the ball into the block … Williams may struggle to create off the dribble considering we saw most of his offensive skill set in the post or catch-and-shoot opportunities on the perimeter.

Mocks had him in the mid to late 30s.

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2019, 10:27:01 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Dress warm for Maine
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin