Author Topic: Which Bigs Do You Like in this Draft?  (Read 22456 times)

Re: Which Bigs Do You Like in this Draft?
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2019, 10:08:48 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
For those that didn't know, Bassey decided to return to school. He should be a lock for the lottery next year.

Also, Azubuike, from Kansas, never declared and is staying in school as well. Very strong but conditioning has always been a problem and is foul prone. He can't shoot free throws either. I could make more than him with my eyes closed, that's how bad he is.
Yeah, Azubuike is comically bad from the charity stripe. Sub-40% is insane
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2019, 11:26:27 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Hayes seems like the only center in this year's draft that may be out of reach for Boston at #14.

I am not really familiar with him other than whatever is available on Youtube, and that's all dunk, dunk, dunk...

Is he worth trading up for? That would be difficult, but if he's the right guy, who knows

Worth noting that he was on the Celts interview list at the combine. I'm not reading too much into this, but it does show that they thought he was a player that they should take a closer look at.
I feel he is overrated but one exception in that he is very mobil. He has no problems running up and down and switch constantly. With all the knocking of Bol with his weight, Hayes is also a light weight. Bol has SF skills which can let him play that or PF off the bench year one and two at 200lbs. Hayes has to be a PF or center so he may be unplayable half of year one due to being 220lbs. He also isn't special length or skill wise. He very well could be there at 14 seeing he likely won't have impact that teams want from a high lottery pick.

Its not just the weight.

He is slow. He plods. He has really high hips which gives him a very HIGH center of gravity. He has a really hard time getting down low.

And although he is long he still wont close out well in an nba game.

His game will be trailing 3 point shooter. He will be the last one up the court in every game on every play.
Bol? Guessing Bol because Hayes beats a lot of guys down court. Maybe after makes Hayes plods in the way most guys jog back.

« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2019, 12:01:07 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Bol's only issue is health.

He is an incredibly efficient scorer. He is not as athletic and strong as Giannis, but is a much better shooter than Giannis. Giannis' shooting weakness was really exposed by Raptors in the playoffs.

Think of Bol in terms of a longer Kevin Durant.  Of course I don't expect him to have that type of career, but his shooting touch is at that level.

Stop thinking of Bol as a center. That is not who he is.

« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2019, 12:06:11 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

He is an incredibly efficient scorer. He is not as athletic and strong as Giannis, but is a much better shooter than Giannis. Giannis' shooting weakness was really exposed by Raptors in the playoffs.

Think of Bol in terms of a longer Kevin Durant.  Of course I don't expect him to have that type of career, but his shooting touch is at that level.

Health isn't his only issue.  his motor and drive to win have also been called into question.  to me, that's a bigger issue than health.

« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2019, 12:11:10 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I just can't see Stevens coaching one of these guys. He'll put him on the perimeter and make him do pick and rolls  the whole game. He'll never get a rebound ot blocked shot.

« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2019, 12:46:40 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Health isn't his only issue.  his motor and drive to win have also been called into question.  to me, that's a bigger issue than health.

Dude was averaging over 20 PPG in college. I don't get this lack of drive narrative.  Not saying it doesn't exist, but man, he sure is productive for someone who lacks drive and motor, no?

« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2019, 02:39:49 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

Dude was averaging over 20 PPG in college. I don't get this lack of drive narrative.  Not saying it doesn't exist, but man, he sure is productive for someone who lacks drive and motor, no?

The best players he went up against we

Trayvon Reed and Luka Garza

Who are those you ask?

Tomato Cans

« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2019, 02:47:26 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

He is far too slow to be anything else.

Ha will never stay in a game defending the perimeter, as he will collapse of exhaustion or foul out.

« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2019, 02:50:45 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Not having watched him in college (small sample size obviously), I'm going off the scouting/draft reports written about him so far.  the common 2 concerns mentioned about Bol are (1) his health and (2) his lack of drive to compete.   it's been mentioned that he doesn't hustle on the court. 

PPG doesn't equate to hustle or competitiveness.  pretty much every NBA player will hustle on offense, not so much on defense.  also, he's a featured player on offense for his team so I'd expect him to have a high PPG in college where he's got a distinct height advantage at that level of play.

« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2019, 04:11:58 PM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
For those that didn't know, Bassey decided to return to school. He should be a lock for the lottery next year.

Also, Azubuike, from Kansas, never declared and is staying in school as well. Very strong but conditioning has always been a problem and is foul prone. He can't shoot free throws either. I could make more than him with my eyes closed, that's how bad he is.

Good decision I think. More players should stay a year longer in college.

« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2019, 05:23:32 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Ha will never stay in a game defending the perimeter, as he will collapse of exhaustion or foul out.
It's weird to me that we have posters claiming Bol isn't a center but Zion will be.  Bol is too slow to guard anyone including centers, and Zion is probably quick enough to guard 2's and 3's.

« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2019, 05:24:10 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
no old men
nobody under 6 ' 11"
Must box out,  play defense and rebound

NO bigs like KO ..... >:(

« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2019, 06:27:10 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Health is a HUGE issue, though, without it careers are short and guys cannot play.

« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2019, 06:28:39 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Bol is a guard

« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2019, 06:49:07 PM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22

It's weird to me that we have posters claiming Bol isn't a center but Zion will be.  Bol is too slow to guard anyone including centers, and Zion is probably quick enough to guard 2's and 3's.

I think a better comp for Bol is Porzingis. That's his ceiling. Before the stress fracture in his foot happened he was very highly ranked. He's an unusual player, and any team that has him will have to construct a lineup that works, but he is talented. Maybe worth a chance if he's on the board.