Author Topic: Which Bigs Do You Like in this Draft?  (Read 22382 times)

Re: Which Bigs Do You Like in this Draft?
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2019, 02:48:53 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'd go for bigs in this draft seeing we have a good guard and wing mix on this team and a few bigs are on the way out. Also it's a deep class for Bigs so we could find gems.

Bassey should be on there.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 02:55:08 PM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2019, 03:39:42 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
In our projected range, I keep coming back to Grant Williams.

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2019, 03:46:18 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

I like Williams but wouldn't categorize him as a "Big". He is a big wing I took this thread to be about traditional Centers
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2019, 06:39:17 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
I have no idea who the best player from this draft will be. If I had to make a “long” odds bet . lol would go:
A player drafted in the 14-40 range. And a player drafted by he nets or the spurs

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2019, 06:45:47 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I have no idea who the best player from this draft will be. If I had to make a “long” odds bet . lol would go:
A player drafted in the 14-40 range. And a player drafted by he nets or the spurs
those 2 teams always draft amazing players

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2019, 08:06:25 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Bitadze---Celtics need a euro center to add to their current line up of non US born centers. Baynes/Theis. Bitadze looks like he could step in and rob the Australian and German of their minutes creating a diplomatic problem for the state department.

Kabengele is a power forward and we don't have any, but, for the older gentleman contemplating his option. Draft this kid, he plays at about 120 miles per hour and has an excellent handle.

Please, Danny, draft bigs even though you don't like to.

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2019, 08:21:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Isnt Williams like 6'7

I heard his comparison is Crowder

So pass for me

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2019, 09:56:45 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Bitadze---Celtics need a euro center to add to their current line up of non US born centers. Baynes/Theis. Bitadze looks like he could step in and rob the Australian and German of their minutes creating a diplomatic problem for the state department.

Kabengele is a power forward and we don't have any, but, for the older gentleman contemplating his option. Draft this kid, he plays at about 120 miles per hour and has an excellent handle.

Please, Danny, draft bigs even though you don't like to.
and even if has to pass on better basketball players? this is a recipe for disasterous team talent. ainge will, and should, draft the bpa. team needs can change in a hurry.

additionally, given the range of the celtics pick, does anyone think a big player from this draft will contribute significantly in the next 3 years?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2019, 10:07:47 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
One guy that's been forgotten about is Naz Reid. Good rebounder and good size, but it's offencenruats special. Can shoot the three and has ball-handling like a guard. I think he'd be a nice bench piece down the track
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2019, 10:15:04 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Thought I'd post my top 5 Centers and Pfs in this thread. Do have guys that are light weight listed as PFs as it will take time for them to add the pounds, maybe a year or two.

Centers
1a. Fernando
1b. Bitadze
1c. Kabengele
4. Bassey
5. Gafford

PFs
1. Zion
2. Clarke
3. Bol
4. Hayes
5. Washington

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2019, 10:17:03 PM »

Offline Raul C

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
I'm going to post this again because I really believe it:

Mfiondu Kabengele is the play - the 6'10" 250lb nephew of Dikembe Mutombo

FSU plays a deep rotation - they emphasize 100% effort on defense when you're out on the floor. Kabengele was the 6th man but not because of talent but because he was a selfless player and could keep the talent level high in the second squad. 

His stats for 22 mins per game:

13.2 pts, 1.5 bpg, 5.9 rpg

50.2 fg%, 36.9 3p%, 76.1 ft%

28.9 PER, 120.5 ORtg, 92.9 DRtg

He's the ACC 6th Man and played Zion very well.

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2019, 08:19:30 PM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Took my time to make a list. 

Tier 1 (4-10 range)

1. Bol Bol: Star potential, unique set of skills. He's so ridiculously skilled for a man that long, that he's worth the wait and risk of recovering from his injury. Can be special. Would love to see him get healthy and succeed in the NBA.

2. Bruno Fernando: Great rebounder, has size and fairly athletic and a good free throw shooter. I expect him to be wild at the beginning of his career, but he can grow into an above average starter level player like Capela. Has a big motor. 

Tier 2 (11-20 range)

3. Daniel Gafford: Seems very solid. He's a rim runner like the Zellers. Starter potential, very solid. In comparison to Tyler Zeller he's more athletic, which enables him to finish strong and protect the rim. I like him (maybe too much  ;D).

4. Mfiondu Kabengele: Indeed more a power forward. He can be a defensive answer to all the long powerful wings. A bit like Siakam, but it's really dependent on how his 3-point-shot translates to NBA-range if he can become a high-level role player.

5. Goga Bitadze: Hard to evaluate. He's highly valued in Europe, but he'll need time to adjust to the speed of the NBA. Maybe he'll develop into a two-way center like Nurkic. His slow feet or his temper could make him a bust. High risk, high reward.

Tier 3 (21-30 range)

6. Jontay Porter: Very unfortunate to tear his ACL twice. However there's demand for skilled bigs, who can stretch the floor. There can still be a future for him in the NBA as his game isn't based on athletism, but on skill and IQ. He looks like a tweener though.

7. Charles Bassey: Some team might want to invest in him. He shows flashes of being more than a dunker and rebounder. He has the body and motivation to make it in the league and is only 18. Who knows how far his potential reaches?

Tier 4 (31-45 range)

8. Nicolas Claxton: Very interesting player. He makes a lot of mistakes and can look truly awful, but at the same time he's willing and able to do a lot of stuff on the court. If everything clicks he could become a complete player. Possible sleeper.

9. Neemias Queta: Great rim protector and strong in the post. He's a good passer as well. I'm not sure his anticipation and agility is up to par. We've seen a lot of this type of big men fail.

10. Jaxson Hayes: In most mock drafts he goes way higher, but I see a Marquese Chriss type of player. I don't see a position for him. Not big and smart enough to be a center and not skilled enough to be a power forward.

11. Naz Reid: Looks in poor condition. His fundamentals aren't there, so I'd be surprised if he wouldn't need time in the G-league to become NBA-ready. He's got more upside than most big men deep in the draft.

Tier 5 (46-undrafted)

12. Tacko Fall: Freak. Someone will probably draft him, but he's too slow to be able to ever play rotation minutes.
13. Moses Brown: Super raw. Big body, but it will take years to make him learn to play.
14. Christ Koumadje: Not impressive in college, no reason to believe he has unproven potential.
15. Sagaba Konate: Not long enough and not much of an athlete.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 08:33:24 PM by RodyTur10 »

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2019, 08:39:07 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Jontay Porter: Very unfortunate to tear his ACL twice

I would not touch him or his brother with ten foot poles, what good is being skilled if you are always hurt?

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2019, 08:41:46 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
After Zion? No one.

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2019, 10:33:50 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Bol Bol.

With three 1st round picks in a perceived weak draft, swing for a home run. Kid is lengthy, and mobile and is skilled.

Also, his name is funny for me, so he's entertaining. (Bol Bol is literally translated as pubic hair in Tagalog. I know, immature, but still)

just like Kristap his ability to add strength is a concern

Its not like he can play SG and avoid contact

Porzingis' lack of strength has not stopped him from being an effective defensive player. They said the same thing with Rudy Gobert. If he develop properly, it should not hinder Bol Bol as well. There's more to playing defense than just strength.

Manute was a rail, and there is no signs that Bol will ever NOT be a rail either.

7foot3 ad 208lbs.

That is ridiculous.

there are so many 6foot5 guards who already carry more weight on their frames.

Regardless of being a 'rail', Manute Bol was an excellent defender.   So what if big centers could body him up?  They still couldn't shoot over him.  That's what kept him in the NBA for a decade.  He led the NBA in block percentage 5 times during that span!   His 'weakness' that kept him from being a star was that he had almost zero offensive game. 

His son does not have that weakness.  He was raised playing basketball and has a much more polished offensive game that his father could never dream of having.  And in the modern game there are just fewer and fewer big bruising post-up players anyway. 

If Bol slips to one of our first two picks, I would definitely take a chance on him.  I agree with the notion that in this draft, with a couple of top 20 picks we might as well swing for the fences.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.