Author Topic: Which Bigs Do You Like in this Draft?  (Read 22509 times)

Which Bigs Do You Like in this Draft?
« on: May 28, 2019, 12:20:02 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
The more I look at the draft, there are several centers who are very intriguing, all of whom should be available with one of our picks:

1. Bol Bol
2. Gafford
3. Fernando
4. Moses Brown
5. Bitadze
6. Azubuike
7. Koumadje
8. Jontay Porter
9. Jaxson Hayes (unlikely available at 14)
10. Nazreon Reid
11. Mifondu Kabengele (probably more of a power forward)
12. Claxton

If we lose Kyrie and Davis, should expect us to draft at least one of these guys.

Do you have a particular favorite? Anyone I did not list?

Personally, I like Jontay Porter (reminds me of Horford), Claxton (ability to guard the perimeter and handle the ball, perfect for Brad system) and Bruno  Fernando.  I go back and forth on Bol, but ultimately worry that his very thin frame will be his undoing.

Re: Which Bigs Do You Like in this Draft?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 12:21:55 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
GAFFORD.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 12:49:59 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Fernando and Reid both look good to me, depending on the pick.

I like that reid is a big wide solid body who can still shoot.
has tenencies to be selfish, but a good coach will prevent that.
Not great or elite at anything, but a good bigman with potential to be elite or great.

Fernando is dripping with potential.
Long, super high motor, hasnt been playing for long. Decent enough form on jumpers. Needs coaching and time.

Gafford is very intriguing as well.

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 12:53:56 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Any Jontay Porter fans out there?  Injured knee keeping you away from him?  I love his shooting touch and court awareness.  Old school.

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 01:01:52 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Any Jontay Porter fans out there?  Injured knee keeping you away from him?  I love his shooting touch and court awareness.  Old school.
good passer. He has the tools to be a young al horford minus the explosiveness

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 01:13:37 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I like Claxton. He is basically a 7'0 F/C who blocks shots. He needs to add some serious weight to be a big, but his skillset is interesting to say the least. He is pretty mobile, has good vision, has a decent handle and is aggressive. I'm not saying reach for him, but his skillset fits the modern nba very well. He lead a Georgia team without a lot of talent. He was first on his team in pts/reb/blocks and steals and was second in assists.

Measured 7'0 at the combine with a 7'3 wingspan. Some scouts are very high on his feel for the game, and that's rare at that size.
#JKJB

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 01:17:26 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The more I look at the draft, there are several centers who are very intriguing, all of whom should be available with one of our picks:

1. Bol Bol
2. Gafford
3. Fernando
4. Moses Brown
5. Bitadze
6. Azubuike
7. Koumadje
8. Jontay Porter
9. Jaxson Hayes (unlikely available at 14)
10. Nazreon Reid
11. Mifondu Kabengele (probably more of a power forward)
12. Claxton

If we lose Kyrie and Davis, should expect us to draft at least one of these guys.

Do you have a particular favorite? Anyone I did not list?

Personally, I like Jontay Porter (reminds me of Horford), Claxton (ability to guard the perimeter and handle the ball, perfect for Brad system) and Bruno  Fernando.  I go back and forth on Bol, but ultimately worry that his very thin frame will be his undoing.

Mifondu Kabengel  is intriguing due to NBA body, good mobility, motor and ability to shoot the 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GfmVdOdOZM

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 01:19:23 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Bol Bol.

With three 1st round picks in a perceived weak draft, swing for a home run. Kid is lengthy, and mobile and is skilled.

Also, his name is funny for me, so he's entertaining. (Bol Bol is literally translated as pubic hair in Tagalog. I know, immature, but still)
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 01:21:27 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Bol Bol.

With three 1st round picks in a perceived weak draft, swing for a home run. Kid is lengthy, and mobile and is skilled.

Also, his name is funny for me, so he's entertaining. (Bol Bol is literally translated as pubic hair in Tagalog. I know, immature, but still)

just like Kristap his ability to add strength is a concern

Its not like he can play SG and avoid contact

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 01:24:05 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Bol Bol.

lol

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2019, 01:41:52 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Except if history and family time line has proven once again, the Porters cannot be trusted...

MPJ just got delayed due to drop foot something PG-13 went through beginning of the season..

Look at their siblings injuries..

Bri Porter (oldest sibling) - Five ACL tears, had to medically retire from basketball

Cierra Porter (2nd oldest) - Forced to medically retire by knee injuries

Jontay Porter (youngest) - Two torn ACLs in the last year

Does that sound like someone even worth taking a risk on?

Even despite his high intelligent basketball IQ and passing instincts, I just don't think he can remain healthy enough in the NBA..

I love MPJ, and wanted him drafted. But these players are always a risk to take..
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2019, 01:43:58 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Bol Bol.

Porzingis' lack of strength has not stopped him from being an effective defensive player. They said the same thing with Rudy Gobert. If he develop properly, it should not hinder Bol Bol as well. There's more to playing defense than just strength.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2019, 02:27:39 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
Bol Bol.

Porzingis' lack of strength has not stopped him from being an effective defensive player. They said the same thing with Rudy Gobert. If he develop properly, it should not hinder Bol Bol as well. There's more to playing defense than just strength.

Rudy and Porzingis both had the frame to add more weight.  Bol is a twig and will never fill out like he needs to.  He's only 200 lbs at that size!!!.  His skill set is intriguing but he's not a guy who you are going to have bang with the big centers.  It's never going to be his game.  He can thrive in a zone but man to man he will struggle everywhere on D.  He's probably going to be a good bench player.

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2019, 02:38:35 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Bol Bol.

Manute was a rail, and there is no signs that Bol will ever NOT be a rail either.

7foot3 ad 208lbs.

That is ridiculous.

there are so many 6foot5 guards who already carry more weight on their frames.

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2019, 02:41:10 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Guys I would be happy to see the Celtics draft
1. Hayes
2. Bitadze
3. Claxton

These are three players who I can see developing into every game rotational centers.

Hayes is likely gone before the Cs pick, he likely has the potential to be an elite rim runner and defender.

Bitadze is the player who I know the least about but by all accounts he is a well rounded center who appears to be the most NBA ready out of this group. He has good length and a strong frame. He also appears to be comfortable facing the hoop and has been a solid perimeter shooter in his limited attempts.

Claxton is the sleeper in the group who may have the highest ceiling of my group. He is the one big in the draft who may best emulate Horfords skills on both ends of the court. He has a long way to go in his development and needs to gain 20-25lbs to his frame but his comfort handling the ball and ability to move laterally at 7' with length makes him an interesting project. 

Guys who I could accept the Cs drafting in the first round
4. Gafford
5. Fernando
6. Kabengele

These are players I am less excited about but they each have at least one skill and the physical profiles to make it as rotational centers in the NBA.

I personally would avoid Bol Bol and Jontay because of injury risk.

Reid I don't see as an NBA level defender. Maybe if he gets in better shape this changes but nothing I'd want to bet on

Moses Brown, Azubuike, Koumadje and Tacko Falls are all large bodied centers who are going to be non factors in playoff basketball. I'm not apposed to drafting a huge center late or signing as FA to be a 2-way player but not the type of players who are worth top 40 picks.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet