Author Topic: Cavaliers (13-10) at Celtics (16-5) Game #22 12/12/23  (Read 10394 times)

Cavaliers (13-10) at Celtics (16-5) Game #22 12/12/23
« on: December 11, 2023, 10:35:40 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11845
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Cleveland Cavaliers (13-10) at Boston Celtics (16-5)
Tuesday, December 12, 2023
7:30 PM ET
Regular Season Game #22 Home Game#11
TV:  NBCSB, BSOH, NBA-LP
Radio: 98.5 Sports Hub, WTAM/WMMS, Sirius XM
TD Garden

Probable Starters

PG: Jrue Holiday    ...................................... SG: Derrick White

C:  Kristaps Porzingis

SF:  Jaylen Brown   ............................................ PF: Jayson Tatum

Celtics Reserves
Delano Banton
Oshae Brissett
Sam Hauser
Al Horford
Luke Kornet
Svi Mykhailiuk
Payton Pritchard
Lamar Stevens
Jordan Walsh

2 Way Players

JD Davison
Nathan Knight
Neemias Queta

Injuries/Out
None Listed

Head Coach
Joe Mazzulla

Probable Starters

PG:  Darius Garland   ................ SG:  Donovan Mitchell

C:  Jarrett Allen

SF:  Max Strus  ................. PF:  Dean Wade

Cavaliers Reserves
Damian Jones
Sam Merrill
Georges Niang
Isaac Okoro
Tristan Thompson

Two Way Players
Emoni Bates
Isaiah Mobley
Craig Porter, Jr

Injuries/Out
Ty Jerome (ankle) out
Caris LeVert  (knee)  doubtful
Evan Mobley  (knee)  questionable
Ricky Rubio  (personal)  out

Head Coach

JB Bickerstaff

Game Notes
The Celtics host the Cavaliers for the first of 3 games between these two teams this season.  They will play once again in Boston in just 2 days on Thursday and the final game will be in Cleveland on March 5.  The Cavaliers won the series last season 3-1 with the Celtics losing both games played in Cleveland and one of the games in Boston and their lone win was in Boston. 

The Celtics are 1st in the East, 1 game ahead of Orlando, who they face twice this week.  They are 1.5 games ahead of  Milwaukee and Philadelphia.  They are 10-0 at home and are the only remaining team unbeaten at home.  They are 7-3 in their last 10 games.  The Celtics are 15-4 against other Eastern Conference teams and won their last game.  The Cavs are 8th in the East, 4 games behind Boston and half a game behind 6th place New York.   They are 7-4 on the road and 6-4 in their last 10 games.  They are 9-5 against Eastern Conference teams and are coming off a loss. 

The Celtics are 137-86 all time overall against the Cavaliers and 82-27 all time in Boston.  The Cavaliers are playing iin the 3rd of 4 consecutive games on the road.  They beat the Heat on Friday in Miami to begin the road trip and played the Magic in Orlando on Monday night.   They will finish their road trip in Boston on Thursday as they play the Celtics for the 2nd time in 3 nights.  They will then begin a 4 game home stand. 

The Celtics are playing in the 2nd of a 5 game home stand after the In Season Tournament.  They beat the Knicks on Friday.  They will play the Cavaliers twice and then the Magic twice  before heading out on a 4 game Western Conference road trip through the Warriors, Kings, Clippers and Lakers that will finish up on Christmas day when the Celtics play the Lakers on national TV. 

The Celtics have no one listed on the injury list at this time.  For the Cavaliers, Ty Jerome is out with an ankle injury.  He hasn't played since October 27.  Caris LeVert is doubtful with a knee injury.  He has missed the last 4 games.   Ricky Rubio is out for personal reasons.  He is away from the team to focus on his mental health.  Evan Mobley is questionable after missing the last 2 games with a knee injury.  If he returns,  he will likely return to the starting lineup with Dean Wade returning to the bench. 

Key Matchups

vs
Derrick White vs Donovan Mitchell
Mitchell is playing in his second season for the Cavs after coming over from the Utah Jazz.  He is averaging 27.6 points, 5.9 rebounds, 5.3 assists and 1.9 steals per game.  He is shooting 45.5% from the field and 32.5% from beyond the arc.   Slowing Mitchell down will be key to getting a win for the Celtics. 

vs
Jrue Holiday  vs  Darius Garland
Garland and Donovan have formed a very good backcourt for the Cavs.  Garland is averaging 19.6 points, 2.6 rebounds, 6.1 assists and 1.6 steals per game.  He is shooting 47.3% from the field and 32.5%from beyond the arc.   As with Mitchell,  slowing him down will be key to winning this game. 

Honorable Mention
Jaylen Brown vs Max Strus
Strus is averaging 14.3 points, 5.5 rebounds, 4.0 assists and 1.0 steals per game.  He is shooting 42.9% from the field and 37.2% from beyond the arc.   Strus always seems to play better when he faces his former team and will likely continue that trend in this game.  Jaylen Brown will likely be focused on having a good game after melting down and getting ejected from the Celtics win over the Knicks on Friday.

Keys to the Game

Defense - Defense is always a key to winning games.  The Cavaliers are a good defensive team with a 110.5 defensive rating, which is 8th in the league.  The Celtics have a defensive rating of 109.0, which is 3rd.   The Celtics allowed the Knicks to score 123 points in their last game and they have to do better than that against the Cavaliers.  The Celtics must make defense a priority in this game and they have to play that tough defense for 48 minutes and not let up.  The Cavs are going to play good defense and so the Celtics will need to match or exceed their defensive intensity. 

Rebound - Next to defense, rebounding is a key to winning. Much of rebounding is effort and desire and when the Celtics put out the extra effort on the boards,  it usually carries through to the rest of their game.  The Celtics are averaging 46.9 rebounds per game (3rd) while the Cavs are averaging 44.6 rebounds per game (12th).  The Celtics need to aggressively go after every rebound. 

Move the Ball Carefully - The Celtics need to move the ball and find teammates for the best shots available.  They play their best when the ball is moving and they are finding the open man.   They struggle when the ball sticks and players try to do too much and play iso ball.  However, they need to make careful passes because the Cavs average 17.8 points off turnovers per game and if the Celtics get sloppy, they will make them  pay. 

Effort and Focus for 48 Minutes - The Celtics need to stay focused on playing the game the right way.  They have to play with effort. The Cavs play hard and so the Celtics need to match that effort and play even harder.   The team that plays harder and is more aggressive is usually the team that comes out on top.  The Celtics also have to stay focused.  They have to focus on taking good shots and making them.  When they are focused, they usually make their shots.  They also have to keep that effort and focus up for 48 minutes with no let up and no collapse. 

X-Factors
Rest vs Rust
- The Celtics haven't played since defeating the Knicks at home on Friday.  They should be well rested and as of this moment they are healthy.  On the other hand, the Cavaliers are playing in the second of back to back games on the road and are dealing with a few injuries.  Will the Celtics' rest result in rust?  The Cavs could face some fatigue after playing back to back and having to travel between games.

Officiating -  Officiating is always an x-factor.  Every crew calls the game a little differently with some calling it tight and others letting them play.  The refs have been calling games fairly tight and have been quick to call techs this season.   Complaining to the refs about bad calls just seems to make it worse and has gotten players tossed.  The Celtics have to adjust to how the game is being called and focus on the game and not on the officials. 

Re: Cavaliers (13-10) at Celtics (16-5) Game #22 12/12/23
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2023, 10:36:57 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1810
Let's go Cs. 
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2023, 10:37:39 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11845
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to  Silas   for being the first to post in the game thread!!!!!!!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Celtics!!!!!

Beat the Cavs!!!!!!! 

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2023, 10:39:07 PM »

Offline Silas

• Danny Ainge
Thanks FLCeltsFan for another great game thread and the TP, and a TP back at you.  Go Cs and make it two in a row!
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2023, 10:47:45 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 595
Do we play one game a week now?

Feels like it.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2023, 03:46:50 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

Feels like it.

I think it's because of the IST. I hope we don't end up playing a heap of back to backs to make up for it  ???
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2023, 06:10:27 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528

Feels like it.

I think it's because of the IST. I hope we don't end up playing a heap of back to backs to make up for it  ???

4 games in the next 6 nights. Very tough homestand 4 games v. 2 good young teams that have given the Celtics a hard time.  Great test for the Cs starting tonight.

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2023, 06:12:52 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
I find Donovan Mitchell fun to watch but I do wonder what his next NBA contract will look like. He'll be 29 or (likely) 30 by that point.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2023, 12:39:47 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Celtics (-10.5) 10-0 at home, CLE 7-4 on the road.   224.5 O/U

With the Celtics at full strength and CLE, not, should be a game to win.  Take care of the ball (turnovers can hurt us), don't give up ORebs, and we should be fine.

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2023, 01:27:24 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 488
Let's go Celtics! Hoping Kristaps has a good game. Play a good amount of inside out as a team.
#JKJB

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2023, 01:43:01 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1482
GO CELTICS!   These next 4 are going to be more difficult than they seem.  Both the Cavs and Magic play us tough.  Hopefully we stay FOCUSED!!

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2023, 02:11:43 PM »

Offline Silas

• Danny Ainge
I'm excited about these next 4 games.  This will be an opportunity for the Cs to clearly define their place in the league and also provide Joe an opportunity to reduce the complaints about his lack of coaching skills.  I'm thinking positive, so let's see...

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2023, 02:15:12 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Next 4 games will be ........ interesting.  Both Cavs and Magic very comfortable and confident in the Garden.  Wouldn't shock me if we went 1-3 this week.  I'd be disappointed, but not surprised. 

If we do (go 1-3), the "Fire Joe" post will grow 10 more pages, LOL.

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2023, 06:41:13 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
Celtics (-10.5) 10-0 at home, CLE 7-4 on the road.   224.5 O/U

With the Celtics at full strength and CLE, not, should be a game to win.  Take care of the ball (turnovers can hurt us), don't give up ORebs, and we should be fine.

Only reason Celtics lose this is if they play sloppy, like how they consistently do esp when bricking 3s and turning the ball over 20 times.

Otherwise, fully healthy C's should be no excuse against the Cavs, who are playing on a second game of b2b night.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2023, 07:04:10 PM »

Offline Silas

• Danny Ainge
Let's make it 11-0!  Get ready to rock and roll....