Author Topic: CSN fired Cousy!! CSN Bring him back for his 10 Games!  (Read 13430 times)

Re: CSN fired Cousy!! CSN Bring him back for his 10 Games!
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2008, 03:40:26 PM »

Offline newdusk

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
I hope the Celtics as and organization step up. 10 games a year thats all and it's great hearing Couz and Tommy together. When Tommy goes I want them to get JoJo White or slip Max into the TV spot and put Dee Brown into the radio spot. Nostalgia means nothing in the corporate world especially when it doesn't mean people will tune out. If enough people complain they might change but it never seems to work anymore look at what happened in Seattle.

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2008, 04:15:37 PM »

Offline blazingarrow

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 45
I could deal with Cousy as a pre and post game analyst.

I was never a fan of his in game commentary.

Alongside Tommy, it was borderline unbearable.

I don't think they should have straight up fired him, but maybe he'd be better suited for a different on camera roll.

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2008, 05:24:57 PM »

Offline Tnerb02

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18
This is a sad day in Boston Celtics television history. I am shocked, angered and disgusted with the lack of class and respect that Comcast Sportsnet showed by firing one of the greatest Celtics who has ever put on a uniform. It's truly unbelievable.

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2008, 05:41:55 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
It's too bad CSN has an exclusive video rights contract...I hate having to support these toolsheds by watching their broadcast.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2008, 05:42:05 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
I appreciated the fact that cous was a c's legend, but honestly he was awful - he had little knowledge of current day NBA players, he'd drone on and on and often times make little to no sense

If you think Cousy doesn't make any sense, then you don't understand basketball.  You don't necessarily have to know the ins and outs of the every day players to be able to comment on the game you're watching -- basketball is basketball and if you have an understanding of the game, you can pick up things that the average fan who watches only whether the ball goes in the hoop -- tends to miss.

Cousy was always brutally honest about what he was seeing - yeah, maybe at times he could get too negative -- but next to Tommy's constant hype -- his view actually worked pretty well from a broadcasting standpoint.

And yes, he's 80, but he is still sharp unlike some guys (Gil, Gino, Dick Enberg) who should have packed it in a long time ago.  

Of course, if the team hadn't sucked these past 20 years, there would be some other candidates to choose from besides a fringe NBA player from the state of Washington who was lucky to even make an NBA roster for a couple of years and whose only connection to Boston is that he played for UConn -- and he wasn't even one of their best players when he was there.

Bottom line it's a crappy move and I'm surprised a columnist like Shaughnessy or Ryan or someone like that hasn't killed C's ownership in print over that.  Just goes to show you how much Boston has changed.

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2008, 05:44:13 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Pretty sad. CSN did him wrong.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2008, 05:45:28 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I didn't know where to send my pleas to reconsider the termination of Bob Cousy, so I wrote in to Mark Cuban's blog! I hoped that as a major owner of high definition league pass, he might have some influence!  I don't feel that comcast understands or cares about either the feelings of the Celtics fans or our pride in the history of the franchise.  

We had comcast when I lived in Plymouth, MA, more than ten years ago, and even at that time I felt that Comcast was the Leona Helmsley of cable!
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2008, 06:30:28 PM »

Offline Tradetime

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 115
A couple of years ago, when Doc was running out Scalabrine to play for 30 minutes/game, and Cousy was on the air, he let it be known that the substituion patterns left little to be desired.  His honesty indeed was refreshing.

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2008, 06:51:37 PM »

Offline JS33

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 2
I didn't know where to send my pleas to reconsider the termination of Bob Cousy, so I wrote in to Mark Cuban's blog! I hoped that as a major owner of high definition league pass, he might have some influence!  I don't feel that comcast understands or cares about either the feelings of the Celtics fans or our pride in the history of the franchise.  

We had comcast when I lived in Plymouth, MA, more than ten years ago, and even at that time I felt that Comcast was the Leona Helmsley of cable!

Here's the comcast contact box link

http://newengland.comcastsportsnet.com/about/contact/
I Pity the Fool !!

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2008, 07:11:18 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Cousy had to go eventually. Tommy is still able to communicate, but Cousy really didn't have much to offer anymore as a broadcaster.

Ideally, former players would step down as broadcasters when they couldn't do it competently anymore. The former players are not larger than the game, just like the current players.

I look forward to Tommy retiring too, but he is still able to get the job done, even if I don't care for his homerism. He makes it hypocritical for Celtics fans to complain about homerism from any other team broadcaster.

« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2008, 07:15:10 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I can understand that younger fans might not feel the same as some of us older fans do about Cousy as an announcer. As for me, hearing him as the 'third man in the booth' 10 times a year was like listening to an old friend.

I am 50 and I remember Cousy doing national and local broadcasts in the 70's.  Yes, we made fun of his speech impediment back then, too -- but, we also admired his straight shooting style and his superior knowledge of the game.

In recent years, Cousy was less invested in keeping up with the NBA. But he was honest about it, and he seemed to be learning as he watched -- along with the viewers.  I liked that, but I can understand why some wouldn't.

I am going to miss hearing his voice. In an odd way, it was like being served my mother's lasagna 10 times a year -- a good memory of childhood brought back -- putting a smile on my face.  I don't have my mom's lasagna anymore, nor will there be Cous on C's broadcasts.  A real loss.

« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2008, 07:29:37 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I loved watching Cousy as a player but as an announcer he is so-so.  I'd like some other Celtics greats to do some guest color appearances: Jo Jo While, Silas, etc.  I'd also like some of the assistant coaches like Clifford Ray amd Kevin Eastman to spend an occasional night in the booth.  Those guys are much closer to the 2008-09 team than Cousy.

« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2008, 08:09:13 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
I can understand that younger fans might not feel the same as some of us older fans do about Cousy as an announcer. As for me, hearing him as the 'third man in the booth' 10 times a year was like listening to an old friend.

I am 50 and I remember Cousy doing national and local broadcasts in the 70's.  Yes, we made fun of his speech impediment back then, too -- but, we also admired his straight shooting style and his superior knowledge of the game.

In recent years, Cousy was less invested in keeping up with the NBA. But he was honest about it, and he seemed to be learning as he watched -- along with the viewers.  I liked that, but I can understand why some wouldn't.

I am going to miss hearing his voice. In an odd way, it was like being served my mother's lasagna 10 times a year -- a good memory of childhood brought back -- putting a smile on my face.  I don't have my mom's lasagna anymore, nor will there be Cous on C's broadcasts.  A real loss.

Well said. TP. The old friend analogy is right on. I grew up to Cousy in the 80's. Hearing him every now and then was a nice addition. It wasn't like he was doing 82 games. Also, the way they let him know he was no longer wanted was disgraceful. Imagine if this was done to a Sox oldtimer like Pesky or something?

Don't fire Cous!!
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2008, 10:48:54 PM »

Offline gillyguyJG

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
I just finished reading that topic on Cous being fired that is ridiculous. What is the purpose of getting rid of a guy that provides so much insight. If CSN wants to get rid of people they should get rid of Donny Marshall, Greg Dickerson, or the worst of them all Tanguay

No need for a new thread.  Please just post a response within a thread if the topic of your post has not changed from the topic of the thread.  Thanks - Redz
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 10:59:16 PM by Redz »

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2008, 10:58:37 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
I sent an email to comcast and got this response:

Thank you very much for taking the time to write us about Bob Cousy.  Many of us at Comcast SportsNet New England, including myself, are native New Englanders and we understand the importance of the team’s history in the hearts of fans across the region.
We have been honored to have Bob join Celtic legend Tommy Heinsohn and Dorchester native Mike Gorman on our broadcast team as the third man in the booth for ten games during each of the past nine seasons.  

For this upcomoing season, we have made several changes and have opted to go with a two-man booth.  For personal reasons, Tommy will not do road games.  Donny Marshall, who last season proved himself to be a terrific addition to our on-air team, will do his best to fill Tommy’s shoes for road games.

We share your sentiment that Bob Cousy is a classic and important part of the Celtics’ history.  As such, we have offered to work with him to find other roles within our network.  Unfortunately, he has chosen not to accept that offer.

Respecting the Celtics tradition is extremely important to us. We have been the proud home of the Celtics for the past 28 years and it is the passion of fans like yourself that makes every one of our telecasts a privilege.

With another potential championship season on tap, I hope you will join Tommy, Mike, Donny and the entire Comcast SportsNet team in closely following the new season.

Perham, Skip <sperham@comcastsportsnet.com>

======================================================

Here was my response to Skippy:

Dear Skip,

Thanks for taking the time to read my email and for your response.

I know you're probably getting hammered on this but I feel like I need to put this to you in another way.

Bob Cousy is Mister Celtic.  He is one of the reasons that I find the broadcasts to be enjoyable even when the Celtics won 20 games a couple of years ago.

You should be grateful that he wants to continue doing games on Comcast and give him whatever he wants.

He's an 80 year old man for ****.  Show him a little respect.

Please think about and try to understand what I'm saying.

Thanks