Author Topic: Rozier is a great story but...  (Read 2323 times)

Rozier is a great story but...
« on: May 17, 2018, 02:36:13 PM »

Offline bcgenuis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 29
Let's be honest with ourselves, he is a middle of the pack PG and would be/is a better off-ball SG. However, he lacks size to be a full time SG.  The team's current success is more related to JB, JT and Big Al than Scary. Scary is the equivalent of the QB that manages a game, than a Tom Brady/Kyrie. Sure he'll make a couple of great plays a game and there is that one out of 10 games  where he takes over.  But generally his style (IMO) is to play it safe with the dribble penetration  and passing.  Now, don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with that style as evidenced by the Celtics playoff run.  Just saying let's be honest with how scary Terry truly is.

PROS
Decent handle (average to plus)
Average 3P shooter
++ rebounder
above average defense
++ athleticism
+ Clutch

CONS
natural SG - but lacking size
lacks PnR game
below average passer
below average vision

What to do with Mr. T Rozier III?

If I am Ainge, I hold on to Terry unless I receive a godfather offer for him. Remember Kyrie and Gordon will be coming off injury and may have minute limitations to start the season.  Second, can't hurt to have an awesome bench of Smart, Rozier, Morris, Theis and Baynes that can play significant minutes and keep the starters fresh for the playoffs.

A godfather offer starts with a top 7 pick in this year's draft.  Perhaps (unlikely but you never know) the NYK had enough of the oft injured Kristaps and would take T-Roz and some draft picks (BOS 18, SAC 19, MEM 19-21).

Projected 2018-19 Roster

Horford
Tatum
Hayward
Brown
Irving

Baynes - resigned MLE
Theis
Morris
Rozier
Smart - resigned 4/44

Ojeleye
Yabusele
Bird
Larkin
<Draft Pick>

Gone
Monroe
Nader

Re: Rozier is a great story but...
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 03:09:48 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Lots of people speculating about Tatum and Brown in terms of team chemistry once the reinforcements return next year.  I'm not concerned about those two but I am about Rozier.  I wonder if he will be disgruntled having to return to back up duties.

That's one potential reason for moving him.

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 03:16:28 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25613
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Lots of people speculating about Tatum and Brown in terms of team chemistry once the reinforcements return next year.  I'm not concerned about those two but I am about Rozier.  I wonder if he will be disgruntled having to return to back up duties.

He’s never been a public problem, but I share your concern. Going from playoff hero to 25 mpg could be tough on a guy trying to get paid. He’s said a couple of times that he’s a future “starter in this league”, so he’s obviously considered his goals. How long will he wait?

The other thing is that this is probably peak value for TR. If we resign Marcus, it may be time to move him.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 03:33:24 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
any takers on trading kyrie?

i'd at least consider it.

rozier is younger, healthier. at this point playoff tested and proven. also possibly will blend in better w the new stars - JB and JT.  will kyrie be able to blend in w them as well, if hes not the alpha dog he was seeking to be by coming here?

kyrie still the overall better player probably but they dont seem to need them both, with the rest of the core they have.

wouldnt put anything past danny of course!

it'll be interesting. 

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 03:52:44 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

rozier is younger, healthier. at this point playoff tested and proven. also possibly will blend in better w the new stars - JB and JT.  will kyrie be able to blend in w them as well, if hes not the alpha dog he was seeking to be by coming here?

kyrie still the overall better player probably but they dont seem to need them both, with the rest of the core they have.

it'll be interesting.
That's not the move to make IMO.  I don't think Rozier will be anything more than average as a long-term starter and I'd venture he'll be below average.  I think we've caught lightning in a bottle these playoffs and eventually he come back to earth.

And before you say below average is okay if the rest of the team is stacked, I'd say fine, but not Rozier.  He isn't even really a PG and his shooting has always been streaky.  If we're going to have an average PG run this team, at least let it be a true facilitator who can shoot.

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 04:03:13 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
So the way I am interpreting Danny Ainge's rule about not trading our own first round picks anymore, it's clear to me that he intends to roll with Kyrie, Brown, Tatum, Hayward and Horford for the next X years, and let everyone else walk or trade them for a future pick, and just play their 1st round picks until their rookie deals are up. Each draft pick is 4 years of cheap labor, and Stevens has already shown that he can get production from just about anyone. I think Danny is going to try to play Rozier for 1 more year and then trade him for a future pick to someone who wants his RFA rights. The fact that he was shopping Smart for a future 1st is another reason to believe that this is his long term strategy.

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 04:09:04 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1034

He’s never been a public problem, but I share your concern. Going from playoff hero to 25 mpg could be tough on a guy trying to get paid. He’s said a couple of times that he’s a future “starter in this league”, so he’s obviously considered his goals. How long will he wait?

The other thing is that this is probably peak value for TR. If we resign Marcus, it may be time to move him.

I think the one good thing is his relationship with Kyrie. They seem to be very good friends and I don’t think he will take it personally moving back to the bench next season.

Even if he goes down to 25mpg next season, not only could he torch backups instead of going against playoff starters, teams won’t forget what he’s doing in the playoffs now.

I really don’t think a reserve role next season will hurt his impending contract, he still may receive one we can’t realistically match from a team willing to make him a starter. He’s a very good two-way PG capable of big shots and key defensive plays.

Unless some GM blows Danny away this offseason, I’d start the season out with him and see how we are. He can always deal him at the deadline to a team willing to resign him.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 04:28:12 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1496
I have been concerned about this for Rozier ever since he stepped in for Kyrie.  He has blossomed as a player, and I think a bit more highly of him than the original poster does.  He is the one who will lose the most minutes by moving back to a non-starting role.  How he handles that next year might be important to what he gets in free agency though.  If he handles it like a pro, and keeps improving Brad will give him solid minutes and maybe it won't even impact him for his next contract.  We will just know that we have a second starting guard behind Kyrie that we probably won't be able to pay when the time comes.

It will be interesting to see what DA does.  If we move him, hopefully DA can pull some magic to either get a player he wants in this draft, or a 2019 draft pick high enough that he could consolidate picks and move up if Sac's pick doesn't get us top 5 next year.

All things said, I like our team being more deep next year and hope that we can at least keep him for next season.

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 05:05:12 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I think Rozier's best position is point guard. His lack of turnovers is a testament to that, he's a scoring guard who can collapse the defence at will.

In terms of value, he's worth far more to this team than elsewhere. I know Danny is always looking at long term value but this is a case where you take the risk he walks for the best possible team next year.

Who thinks Kyrie will play every game next year? Who thinks Rozier can play alongside Irving? Who thinks Rozier would carve up benches in his 4th year? In my mind there is no logic in trading him, he's a weapon most teams don't have as a luxury.

Also let's not downplay his impact here. Sure, this series has shown Brown in the positive, and Al is obviously the glue of this team. However the beauty of this playoff run is that all our key men have stepped up at various points, based on match up or sheer need. We are where we are because of the collective impact of these guys. None of them will be thinking of this guy or that guy having an impact.

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 05:13:56 PM »

Offline Rml

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 0
Let's be honest with ourselves, he is a middle of the pack PG and would be/is a better off-ball SG.

He isn't a pure PG, but I actually feel the opposite. He has thrived mostly because he was given the opportunity to have the ball in his hands a lot more (due to the team injuries). His elite skill is basically that it is really difficult to stop him from getting where he wants to get dribbling. Again, he isn't a pure PG, but his play was more inconsistent coming off the bench as SG I think.   

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 05:16:15 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
He has made the most 3-pt shots out of anyone in the nba playoffs ....

Might Be wrong but I thought that I read that
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 05:28:08 PM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 06:05:16 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
He has made the most 3-pt shots out of anyone in the nba playoffs ....

Might Be wrong but I thought that I read that

You're right, he was first until Harden passed him last night.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/NBA_2018_leaders.html

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 06:23:49 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 554

it'll be interesting.

No. Nope. Negative. Never. If we are gonna beat GSW you need his élite shot making.

I would listen to trading Rozier. There the real possibility that his value will be as high as it is now. And even if he still has room to grow he is unlikely to ever reach a point where he replaces Irving. If we keep Smart and Irving we aren't keeping Rozier long term, and given that Smart will likely be cheaper and his importancia as an energy guy hes probably the one we keep.

I also think the idea of Rozier as Irving insurance is a little overated. If he gets injured again next year we aren't winning even with Rozier, we need Irving. Its like having 50,000 of insurance for a 200,000 house. Its nice, but if the house burns down u are still broke. So unless the Celtics are so worried about Irving long term that Rozier becomes the guy than he seems expendable giving our roster crunch.

Now of course im not trading him for a middling pick. #15 or a lottery protected 2019 pick snt getting it done. Needs to be Rozier+27 for a top 10 pick to interest me. I would look for a young big to replace Horford long term if I could.

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 06:31:12 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45

it'll be interesting.

No. Nope. Negative. Never. If we are gonna beat GSW you need his élite shot making.

I would listen to trading Rozier. There the real possibility that his value will be as high as it is now. And even if he still has room to grow he is unlikely to ever reach a point where he replaces Irving. If we keep Smart and Irving we aren't keeping Rozier long term, and given that Smart will likely be cheaper and his importancia as an energy guy hes probably the one we keep.

I also think the idea of Rozier as Irving insurance is a little overated. If he gets injured again next year we aren't winning even with Rozier, we need Irving. Its like having 50,000 of insurance for a 200,000 house. Its nice, but if the house burns down u are still broke. So unless the Celtics are so worried about Irving long term that Rozier becomes the guy than he seems expendable giving our roster crunch.

Now of course im not trading him for a middling pick. #15 or a lottery protected 2019 pick snt getting it done. Needs to be Rozier+27 for a top 10 pick to interest me. I would look for a young big to replace Horford long term if I could.

I say offer the Clippers Rozier, #27, and their own pick in 2019 back for #11 and #12. Trade 11 and 12 to move up to get the remainder of Bamba/Carter/Porter in that 5-7 range.

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 06:35:33 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

I believe Rozier will be moved this offseason for a big of some type. With Smart and Kyrie at PG and Brown, Tatum, Hayward, and Morris all competing for minutes 2-4 he's a great candidate to become a locker room cancer. Not that I think he's that guy naturally, just that any guy in that situation could become disgruntled, let's face it..