Author Topic: Schilling to have surgery; done for season  (Read 4108 times)

Schilling to have surgery; done for season
« on: June 20, 2008, 10:57:15 AM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
Say what you want about the guy, but he was 3-0 in the post season with a 3.00 ERA.  That's clutch.

Curt Schilling revealed this morning that he will have season-ending surgery on his right shoulder on Monday, saying there was a "pretty decent chance that I've thrown my last pitch forever."

The 41-year-old Red Sox righthander made the disclosure during his weekly interview on WEEI's Dennis and Callahan show, sounding very much like a player whose career could be over. He said the major procedure would be performed in Philadelphia by Dr. Craig Morgan, who thought Schilling should have chosen surgery in the offseason rather than the rehab program recommended by the Red Sox. When asked if this meant that Dr. Morgan's initial analysis of the injury and rehab was correct, Schilling replied, "I don't know ... and I don't care.
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

Re: Schilling to have surgery; done for season
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 11:14:22 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3768
  • Yup
Always a blowhard, but a hell of a pitcher who delivered on his commercial driven promise to "End the curse".  Sure sounds like the end of the line for Curt.

Pretty sweet deal for him this year (besides the painful surgery and not being able to use one arm part)
Yup

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 11:24:40 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Terrific pitcher who came through big time and helped the Sox win a couple of titles.  Unfortunately he also put a good one over on the Red Sox to weasel an extra year out of them.

It's not my money so I don't care, but I'd be p---ed if I were the Sox management 

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 11:25:35 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
It really is a shame for curt, but luckily we have an incredibly deep staff this year.  I dont think this will really affect the team at all.  Hopefully during his recovery he can come up to the big club and try and work with all of our young pitching.  With his notes and attention to detail i can still see him being an incredible asset to our team without pitching. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 11:27:57 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
Obviously we were doing fine without him, but his presence in the playoffs will be sorely missed.  This leaves Beckett and Wakefield as our only real battle-tested starters in the second season.  That puts a lot of pressure on our young guys, and Dice-K, if he can return to full strength.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 11:32:57 AM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
My fear is that the Sox will no be tempted to trade a young arm for a proven veteran to fill Schill's role in the post season.

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 11:38:23 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 378
My fear is that the Sox will no be tempted to trade a young arm for a proven veteran to fill Schill's role in the post season.

They'll be tempted, but Theo is too smart to get raped in a deadline deal. (E.g. he might give away the next Gabbard or something, but not one of his prized prospects).  Funny thing, though, we might need to move a young arm cause there isn't room for all of them:  Beckett, Dice-K, Lester, Buchholz, Masterson, and Bowden are all young and in it for the long haul.  What a problem to have!

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 11:42:17 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.

They'll be tempted, but Theo is too smart to get raped in a deadline deal. (E.g. he might give away the next Gabbard or something, but not one of his prized prospects).  Funny thing, though, we might need to move a young arm cause there isn't room for all of them:  Beckett, Dice-K, Lester, Buchholz, Masterson, and Bowden are all young and in it for the long haul.  What a problem to have!

It's a great problem, that's for sure.  I doubt it will come into play this year, as Buchholz, Masterson, or Bowden could all be shifted to long relief over the next two seasons without damaging their pride too much or affecting them in the long run.  Personally, I don't think Masterson or Buchholz will start in the playoffs (should we make it), just due to the fact that it's their first trip - I see Wakefield starting those games and the young guys coming in for 2-3 innings of relief.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 11:42:36 AM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown

In the Gabbard Deal for GAGne Theo also gave away Dave Murphy who is the leading candidate for AL Rookie of the Year. 

I am pretty sure Theo was feeling like Marsellus Wallace in the Gimp scene after that trade.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 12:00:50 PM by SShoreFan 2.0 »

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 12:09:57 PM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9
Terrific pitcher who came through big time and helped the Sox win a couple of titles.  Unfortunately he also put a good one over on the Red Sox to weasel an extra year out of them.

It's not my money so I don't care, but I'd be ****ed if I were the Sox management 

He has been taking a hometown discount vs what he could get on the open market for a couple years now. I think Schilling is a pretty stand up guy. to suggest otherwise is ridiculous. Schilling took a substantial pay cut for this year with incentives.  If he had an existing injury shouldn't the sox doctors have caught it.

If the sox had only listened to the expert doctor in the beginning they could have had him for the playoffs.  With all the smart moves Theo and Co. have done occasionally they screw up.  I think the Sox knew the risk with a pitcher of his age and history.

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 12:21:15 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

In the Gabbard Deal for GAGne Theo also gave away Dave Murphy who is the leading candidate for AL Rookie of the Year. 

I am pretty sure Theo was feeling like Marsellus Wallace in the Gimp scene after that trade.

Yeah...it worked out badly.  But it still was the right move at the time.  Murphy was blocked, and Moss was the better prospect, and Gabbard was never going to be more valuable than he was then.

They didn't count on Gagne completely falling apart.

I suppose thats why its always dangerous to trade for a reliever.

But anyways, I don't expect the sox to try to bring in another pitcher, unless they can find a way to make a deal for a top 3 guy (Bedard or Sabathia) without giving up too much.  Right now their rotation goes 7 deep if you include both Masterson and Bucholtz.  In the playoffs, they will have Beckett, Daisuke, Lester (who is 10th in the league in ERA last I checked), and then whoever is hot at the time for the 4th spot.  They don't need Schilling.

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 01:10:27 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
There's no worse way to end your career than by injury.  This sucks for Curt.  I definitely appreciate everything that he's given to the franchise.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 04:21:14 PM »

Offline Nerf MVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Hard not to see this coming after the initial disagreement between Morgan and the team. Oh well.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I actually love it when Schilling goes on record slamming people who I feel deserve it like Bonds or Kobe. Do other players shy away from criticizing the likes of a Bonds or a Canseco out of respect to some "code", or do they just not want the backlash that Curt doesn't seem to mind?

On the Gagne trade, it was a loss but by no means a disaster.As Chris pointed out Murphy was blocked, (oh and who could believe Drew would make a case this year for being underpaid? Holy crap! 9 homeruns so far this month and slugging over a grand  :o) and we did get a compensation pick for losing Gagne. The problem isn't what we gave up, it's what we got. The guy almost single handedly cost us home field.