Author Topic: Hayward was an out West player  (Read 5465 times)

Hayward was an out West player
« on: April 19, 2018, 07:48:14 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
I really never watched the Jazz,being out of country and busy watching my own son play and not watching NCAA's..
So Hayward the few times i saw him was a good white guy playing with huge center.I never saw any blazing speed or burst ,no huge vertical that got my attention.
More a tennis star playing basketball-no streets to his game.
That was before he came to Celtics,before Kyrie said how much he wanted to play with him and the Butler connection with Brad.
Is Hayward like Horford a really really good player at everything and consistent is that what makes him great

The thrill of watching Kyrie this season,the growth of Jaylen as an outside shooter,Brown playing like a vet and now Rozier
-There was the emergence of Marcus Morris,the surprise of Theis and continued defensive stardom of Smart.
It all started with we are getting Smart back for playoffs  that is a huge plus.
But then was followed quickly with the thought how good is Hayward and how ignorant i was of his talent and skills.
Watching Jaylen eviscerate the Bucks(that works) and Rozier locking horns with Bledsoe and to be so dominant and exciting
 Rozier and Jaylen have that speed and athleticism that set them apart and then there is Tatum so skilled like Horford and does Hayward fit in that category???
I'm going to have to go back and watch his past highlight tapes'
How embarrassing to have to admit so little knowledge about such an important piece for Celtics but i must excuse myself because who would have thought he would go down like that.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 03:09:26 PM by rollie mass »

Re: Hayward was an out West player
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 08:32:11 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
I've read many of your posts over the last year and I must admit that I don't really understand them.

Do you just post your daily thoughts in a series of notes scribbled on a piece of paper without organizing them? Is this some form of poetry that I haven't encountered? The entire thing seems so bizarre.

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 08:37:51 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I really never watched the Jazz,being out of country and busy watching my own son play and not watching NCAA's..
So Hayward the few times i saw him was a good white guy playing with huge center.I never saw any blazing speed or burst ,no huge vertical that got my attention.
That was before he came to Celtics,before Kyrie said how much he wanted to play with him and the Butler connection with Brad.
Is Hayward like Horford a really really good player at everything and consistent is that what makes him great

The thrill of watching Kyrie this season,the growth of Jaylen as an outside shooter,Brown playing like a vet and now Rozier
-There was the emergence of Marcus Morris,the surprise of Theis and continued defensive stardom of Smart.
It all started with we are getting Smart back for playoffs  that is a huge plus.
But then was followed quickly with the thought how good is Hayward and how ignorant i was of his talent and skills.
Watching Jaylen eviscerate the Bucks(that works) and Rozier locking horns with Bledsoe and be so dominant and exciting
 Rozier and Jaylen have that speed and athleticism that set them apart and then there is Tatum so skilled like Horford and does Hayward fit in that category???
How embarrassing to have to admit so little knowledge about such an important piece for Celtics but i must excuse myself because who would have thought he would go down like that.

Hayward is a good athlete with excellent skill and a high basketball IQ.  Last year he posted a better true shooting percentage than Paul George, Jimmy Butler, Damian Lillard, C.J. McCollum, Kyrie Irving, and Anthony Davis.  Keep in mind that this was on a Utah team that didn't have another go to scorer and played at the slowest pace in the league.  As an overall player I would place Hayward in the same tier as Jimmy Butler or Paul George.   

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 08:47:08 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
At the end of last year, the nba player rankings I saw pretty much all had Hayward above kyrie.  Try that on for size.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 11:22:04 AM by droopdog7 »

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 08:56:08 AM »

Offline YoungOne87

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 65
I've read many of your posts over the last year and I must admit that I don't really understand them.

Do you just post your daily thoughts in a series of notes scribbled on a piece of paper without organizing them? Is this some form of poetry that I haven't encountered? The entire thing seems so bizarre.

Don't worry, you are not alone with those thoughts.

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 09:29:55 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Hayward is a good athlete with excellent skill and a high basketball IQ.  ...  As an overall player I would place Hayward in the same tier as Jimmy Butler or Paul George.   

That pretty much sums it up.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 09:35:28 AM »

Online timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I watched Hayward a few times a year when he was with Utah - we were [dang] lucky to get him.

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 10:46:38 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Hayward is a good athlete with excellent skill and a high basketball IQ.  ...  As an overall player I would place Hayward in the same tier as Jimmy Butler or Paul George.   

Yep. His offensive versatility is insane, and he’s a good defender. Him next to Kyrie, Al and the two young guys will be awesome
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 10:58:13 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
What makes him so special is his ability to play within a ball movement system, while also picking the perfect times to score.

He is extremely unselfish, arguably (according to Utah fans) too much some times. He has a great feel to attack drives, mismatches, and pick-and-rolls. He plays at his own pace, never too slow or too fast.

Needless too say, Hayward is a *cue Brad Stevens voice* really good basketball player.

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 11:14:14 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

I love Rollie’s posts. They always bring up interesting perspectives and Rollie has some unique insight

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 11:29:45 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

I'd add that he isn't exactly the hansaplast those two are on defense, but he has a more balanced scoring inside/outside, driving/3pt game.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 11:38:15 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Shhh rollie is an institution around here, just embrace it don't question it.

As for Hayward, he's a big two way wing with guard skills and some clutch shot making chops.  He's legit.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 11:43:59 AM »

Offline CactusThomas

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 3
"good white guy"..."no streets to his game"

Stopped reading
"Manute Bol! Your mom!!" - Dan Aykroyd

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2018, 11:58:20 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Shhh rollie is an institution around here, just embrace it don't question it.

As for Hayward, he's a big two way wing with guard skills and some clutch shot making chops.  He's legit.

An institution. Lol.  It's absolutely true. 

I love Rollie’s posts. They always bring up interesting perspectives and Rollie has some unique insight

Agreed.  Rollie always bring a unique perspective that's refreshing.  He's often funny, too.

Preach, rollie. Preach!
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2018, 12:07:40 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Watching Jaylen eviscerate the Bucks(that works) and Rozier locking horns with Bledsoe and be so dominant and exciting

Rollie your post has some implied biases against white guys who are not super quick or “long”.

You know, like Larry Bird.

Think before you speak.