Author Topic: [IDEA] Rent Big Al Jefferson  (Read 1265 times)

[IDEA] Rent Big Al Jefferson
« on: November 30, 2012, 06:37:43 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6167469

C's send:

Green, Courtney Lee

Get back:

Al Jefferson.

Pau Gasol (to Orlando)

Gets Back:

Hedo Turkoglu (with Nash dude - he'd be great)
Jeff Green (backing up Artest, who slides to the 4).

Big Al

Gets Back:

Courtney Lee
(dumps Big Al's $15M, and paves the way for the Favors/Milsap line ups of the future).

Orlando sends:
Turkoglu

Gets Back:

Pau Gasol

...I hear your arguments about Utah not wanting to trade Al Jefferson -  but see this:http://jazzfanz.com/showthread.php?10691-So-I-made-an-Al-Jefferson-trade-to-every-team-in-the-league thread.

I hear your argument about there being no one to back up Pierce. The only problem is that there's no one to back up Pierce now. ...Green is not productive, and is not good at defending SFs (too slow). Lee is out of favor with Doc for whatever reason - even though he's a good player. When Bradley comes back, he's not essential.

While Turkoglu and Green for Gasol doesn't sound great - the Lakers are committed to playing D'Antoni ball. Gasol doesn't fit, and Turkoglu and Green do. Green's young legs are EXACTLY what the Lakers need.

Orlando sucks - but they suck a lot less with a passing big man to run their offense through (it is not hard to convince anyone that this would be a great trade for Orlando).

Who says no?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 06:54:48 PM by jaketwice »

Re: [IDEA] Rent Big Al Jefferson
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 06:45:42 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Lakers lose an all star and nobody wants hedos contract...nobody
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 06:52:24 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
So Orlando sends a draft pick or two. BFD. Turkoglu is a good three point shooter which is what they need.

But more than that, they need Jeff Green. They need someone who can space the floor - if they're going to play D'Antoni ball. ...there's less thinking involved. He'd be terrific there.

I agree there'd be a palace coup aspect to it. But no one thinks that the Lakers are a well balanced team. This move would balance them, and keep the core intact.

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 06:53:35 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Since everyone keeps putting up trade ideas, I will put my 2cent in even though I don't want a trade (but I am getting a little restless with Green).

Why don't we just do a Big Al for Green and Lee type deal?
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 07:01:40 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
Since everyone keeps putting up trade ideas, I will put my 2cent in even though I don't want a trade (but I am getting a little restless with Green).

Why don't we just do a Big Al for Green and Lee type deal?

I think the issue for Utah is that they can either have Milsap, or Jefferson, but they can't afford to pay both. If we sent them Green and Lee, we'd be preventing them from realizing the salary cap flexibility that would be the real reason they'd make this move. Their whole roster is at the end of the contract. We might also have to send them a draft pick.

Paul Milsap and Derrick Favors, the guys they'd be keeping, are much more flexible pieces in an offense, as I understand it. They'd be in a position to make a run at a decent FA point guard in 2013 and keep all their bigs, and maybe get some draft picks - if they'd just dump Big Al.

The problem with Big Al is that you either run your offense through him, or what does he do? What we should be looking for, however, is someone like that. The goal should be to preserve our older stars for defense - and Al can rake in the points!

Incidentally, we wouldn't really be able to pay Big Al either - unless he'd take a salary cut, which is why I refer to it as a "rental."
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 07:12:58 PM by jaketwice »

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 07:15:42 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I do agree that Green would be a great fit with D'Antoni. I understand that Green isn't necessarily the defensive player that Marion was, but if he could play anywhere near as well [with Nash, mind you], that could really help the Lakers. Heck, Marion was the number one fantasy player for several years in a row.

Orlando REALLY makes out in this proposed trade, though. They aren't getting rid of Turkoglu anytime soon. Also, Lee for AJ isn't exactly 'awesome' for the Jazz. They don't need to dump him, as he is in the last year of his deal.

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 07:23:40 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
I do agree that Green would be a great fit with D'Antoni. I understand that Green isn't necessarily the defensive player that Marion was, but if he could play anywhere near as well [with Nash, mind you], that could really help the Lakers. Heck, Marion was the number one fantasy player for several years in a row.

Orlando REALLY makes out in this proposed trade, though. They aren't getting rid of Turkoglu anytime soon. Also, Lee for AJ isn't exactly 'awesome' for the Jazz. They don't need to dump him, as he is in the last year of his deal.

As I said, I would anticipate an exchange of draft picks, many of which would go to Utah and LA (from Orlando (which has many) and Boston. Orlando is loaded up in 2014.

Also, don't forget that if Big Al walks, Utah gets nothing for him. Do they have a more attractive trade partner out there? Who? What would they get? What if they could get a first and second rounder, and Courtney Lee...? wouldn't that be better than nothing?

I can't, off the top of my head, think of a team that has much more to offer.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 07:36:45 PM by jaketwice »

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 07:59:57 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
Okay, so say we add in Boston's 2013 Second, and a 2014 First round pick (to Utah); and LA gets Orlando's 2013 first, and their 2014 first round pick back from Orlando?

Since Orlando wouldn't be that great, that would be a pretty sweet haul, no?

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 08:00:57 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
PS: if we dump Green and Lee's contracts, we could make a legitimate run at Josh Smith in free agency.

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 08:54:16 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I'd don't think the lakers want any part of that if it means taking on Turk's contract and losing Gasol.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 09:03:49 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I'd LOVE to have Big Al back in Boston where he belongs.  I loved that guy so much.  The idea of having him come back and have KG as his mentor makes me giddy.  He's in his late 20s now, but he's a solid player and he could learn a bit from playing with the legendary Garnett. 

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 09:26:27 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think targeting Al Jeef isn't a bad idea though. Jeff Green, Courtney Lee, Bass, and picks should work financially, and I would pray Utah would be okay with it.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner