Author Topic: Spurs in similiar situation as C’s  (Read 1365 times)

Spurs in similiar situation as C’s
« on: July 05, 2019, 10:31:19 AM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
They have too much depth at the wings and not enough big men.

Aldridge will be 34 (how much more effective is he at guarding on the perimeter than Kanter?).

And this article even suggests Rudy Gay may play center at some points?

So the Celts aren’t unique in their search for competent big men.

https://www.poundingtherock.com/2019/7/2/20677239/what-the-spurs-could-do-with-their-suddenly-wing-jammed-roster

Like Marcus Morris was supposed to be our “LeBron Stopper” when he was traded for, we need a “Giannis Stopper” and an “Embiid Stopper.”  No other team has a truly unique offensive force like those two players.

We’ll be fine in games against all other teams (except the Lakers depending on Kawhi’s decision). Not championship-level but I see a competitive second round slugfest in our future.

Re: Spurs in similiar situation as C’s
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 11:15:26 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
How do we have too many wings?

We have 3 starting caliber wings for 3 starting wing spots

Every other wing on the team is flawed or a project

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 11:35:32 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Dont be surprise to see them get Demarcus Cousins
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 11:43:10 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
How do we have too many wings?

We have 3 starting caliber wings for 3 starting wing spots

Every other wing on the team is flawed or a project

There are 3 wing spots on a starting squad? My math says 2! SG and SF

I think what he's saying is you can put Smart as a wing so that would give us Smart, Brown, Tatum and Hayward for 2 spots. I personally have Smart as a combo guard so he makes a great sixth man. But starting Brown at SG, Tatum at SF and Hayward at PF causes me concern defensively and on the glass. Should be interesting assuming that is the starting line-up.

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 12:39:24 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
When I saw the title of this post, I thought it was referring to something I've been thinking about the past week or so. The Spurs and Celtics are in similar situations, but not roster-wise. They are similar in that they are consistently winning organizations that are not as strongly defined by their stars. They both have well-known coaches and consistent management, though Ainge is more well-known for trading his way to success than the Spurs, who value continuity and aren't constantly making deals.

The reason I started thinking about the similarity is all the free agency movement dominating the news. The Spurs thought they had the "perfect Spur" in Kawhi Leonard, who was quiet and seemingly focused on basketball only, until suddenly he wasn't. The Celtics had Irving, who bristled at Stevens' system (among other things), and Horford, who jumped ship for more money but more importantly, a better shot at winning a title.

Both organizations will not change their coach based on a superstar's request. Both organizations will not make hasty, win-now deals that are too costly in the long-term. Both organizations sell their culture of winning more so than anything their home city might offer in terms of pizazz.

Recognizing all this, in hindsight Kyrie was never going to be a fit here. He is similar to some of the other superstars out there right now that value a lot of other things other than basketball. Things like entertainment, business opportunities, market location, entrepreneurship, branding, etc. I realize I'm painting with a broad brush here, but you get the point - New York and LA, and to a lesser extent the Bay Area, are always going to provide those things which Boston cannot.

If those things are important to a player, they're not going to stay in Boston or San Antonio long term. Especially the top top superstars, they can win in a lot of places. Kawhi and Kyrie and Durant already have championships, so they're not necessarily desperate that their next team is the PERFECT situation for winning. They are confident enough that they themselves will be the source of the wins, an idea that is not necessarily wrong.

The last title teams for the Spurs and Celtics were stocked with players who don't really care about all those outside things: Pierce, Garnett, Allen, Rondo, Duncan, Ginobili, Parker. If both franchises want to get back into the title picture, they need superstars who only care about basketball and winning.

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 01:24:46 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I know I will be shouted off the board, but I really like:

STARTING THE GAME:

Kemba
Brown
Hayward
G. Williams
Kanter

FINISHING THE GAME:

Kemba
Smart
Brown (or Hayward)
Hayward (or Tatum)
G. Williams or Kanter or Hayward against smaller lineups (with our big 5 of Kemba, Smart, Brown, Tatum and Hayward)

Yes, I've promoted G. Williams before Summer League has even started.. 8).  If Mook is back that changes of course. 

So, to start the game the bench looks like:

Kemba, Smart
Brown, Smart
Hayward, Tatum
G. Williams, Tatum
Kanter, R. Williams

This is not meant as a demotion of Tatum.  I think his skill set right now would work well off bench...and very likely closing games as well.  If Tatum must start, my next choice is Hayward off the bench, such as:

Kemba, Smart
Brown, Smart
Tatum, Hayward
G. Williams, Hayward
Kanter

Admittedly once again our BIG 5 are Kemba, Smart, Brown, Tatum, Hayward.  So, Brad has some figuring to do at the end of games unless the other team is smallish up front.  If the other team is small I expect to see these BIG 5 on the floor together at the end of the game. 

I won't be surprised if there's a trade of a wing for a first class power forward who can defend, allowing G. Williams off the bench at PF and Center. 

The Spurs are kind of interesting right now.  I agree a bit similar, but their depth is at 1-2, while our depth is at 2-4. 

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2019, 02:00:53 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

STARTING THE GAME:

Kemba
Brown
Hayward
G. Williams
Kanter

FINISHING THE GAME:

Kemba
Smart
Brown (or Hayward)
Hayward (or Tatum)
G. Williams or Kanter or Hayward against smaller lineups (with our big 5 of Kemba, Smart, Brown, Tatum and Hayward)

Yes, I've promoted G. Williams before Summer League has even started.. 8).  If Mook is back that changes of course. 

Kemba, Smart
Brown, Smart
Hayward, Tatum
G. Williams, Tatum
Kanter, R. Williams

This is not meant as a demotion of Tatum.  I think his skill set right now would work well off bench...and very likely closing games as well.  If Tatum must start, my next choice is Hayward off the bench, such as:

Kemba, Smart
Brown, Smart
Tatum, Hayward
G. Williams, Hayward
Kanter

Admittedly once again our BIG 5 are Kemba, Smart, Brown, Tatum, Hayward.  So, Brad has some figuring to do at the end of games unless the other team is smallish up front.  If the other team is small I expect to see these BIG 5 on the floor together at the end of the game. 

I won't be surprised if there's a trade of a wing for a first class power forward who can defend, allowing G. Williams off the bench at PF and Center. 

The Spurs are kind of interesting right now.  I agree a bit similar, but their depth is at 1-2, while our depth is at 2-4.

Tatum might be the best player on the team next season andshould be the focal point of the offense or the second option after Kemba, do not bring him off the bench.  However, I love your take and I understand the reasoning behind it.

Personally I’d start:
Kemba/Brown/Tatum/Hayward/ Poirier

Bench would be:  Smart/Semi/Kanter/Theis with the rookies and R Williams mixed in

I think having Kanter off the bench allows him to be the focal point offensively of the second unit without any other proven scorer. 

2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2019, 03:08:10 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

STARTING THE GAME:

Kemba
Brown
Hayward
G. Williams
Kanter

FINISHING THE GAME:

Kemba
Smart
Brown (or Hayward)
Hayward (or Tatum)

Kemba, Smart
Brown, Smart
Hayward, Tatum
G. Williams, Tatum
Kanter, R. Williams

Kemba, Smart
Brown, Smart
Tatum, Hayward
G. Williams, Hayward
Kanter

Tatum might be the best player on the team next season andshould be the focal point of the offense or the second option after Kemba, do not bring him off the bench.  However, I love your take and I understand the reasoning behind it.

Personally I’d start:
Kemba/Brown/Tatum/Hayward/ Poirier

Bench would be:  Smart/Semi/Kanter/Theis with the rookies and R Williams mixed in

I think having Kanter off the bench allows him to be the focal point offensively of the second unit without any other proven scorer.

If Poirier can live up to his defensive and rebounding ability I think I’d rather start him over Kanter as well.  We won’t need offense from our center to start games.  Coming off the bench Kanter can be your offensive weapon, and maybe you put a more defensive minded PF (Williams or Theis?) next to him once Tatum or Hayward comes out of the game.