Author Topic: what factors do you think Kawhi is weighing for his decision?  (Read 1655 times)

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Team location?

Team management?

Challenge?

Legacy?

Team mates?

Endorsement opportunities?

Loyalty?

It appears he may be really undecided which makes me wonder what might be making him undecided. The word out there is that he liked the Lakers growing up, not sure if this is true, but if it is who does not want to play for his childhood team? This should make his decision easy except he may not want the drama that goes with LeBron. Toronto, by all appearances it seems like they really treated him well there and he has earned the love of an entire country. Who would walk away from that, who would risk breaking the heart of an entire nation? Lakers lead him right into the KD factor, i,e the easy route - he my not like that because it poses little challenge and does not enhance an already established legacy. There are a host of other factors he may be weighing. What do you all think?

This decision may be harder for him than we think.

Re: what factors do you think Kawhi is weighing for his decision?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 11:27:49 PM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
All from the above list are equally important to him.

Him leading the pack, I guess, is one that will truly affect his decision. He wants the team he signs in to be "HIS TEAM".

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 11:34:18 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I would not want to leave behind a sour legacy that seemed ungrateful to the whole nation of Canada and the people who embraced me and the team that PUT me back on top ...as todays best player in the world ....not Lebron anymore ....Durrant may never be the same.

Toronto played fair with him.  I would think he like to give them a 1-2 year deal .  He can always go to LA in acouple years and still be young and get a max contract for even more money.

He would be the NBA golden boy for Silver hanging another year with Toronto . 

LA is full up on super heros right now.....he can be King in Canada or a pawn for Clutch Sports in LA.

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 02:53:01 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
All from the above list are equally important to him.

Him leading the pack, I guess, is one that will truly affect his decision. He wants the team he signs in to be "HIS TEAM".

His TEAM :  Raptors or Clippers

His Home:  L. A
      load management-  the Fakers
      Be the star -  Clippers
      No nonsense Divas around- Clippers

Best chance at winning another ring:  Fakers

Best team that his legacy will forever endure :  Raptors

Management and Coaching staff: Clippers

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 03:09:57 AM »

Offline Abel

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 4
I would not want to leave behind a sour legacy that seemed ungrateful to the whole nation of Canada and the people who embraced me and the team that PUT me back on top ...as todays best player in the world ....not Lebron anymore ....Durrant may never be the same.

[b]Toronto played fair with him.  I would think he like to give them a 1-2 year deal .  He can always go to LA in acouple years and still be young and get a max contract for even more money.

[/b]
LA is full up on super heros right now.....he can be King in Canada or a pawn for Clutch Sports in LA.

I have read reports that he isn't considering two year deals, and I wonder if it has anything to do with his injury history. But I agree a two year deal would be best case scenario for him.

He would get to have the best team currently, return as the conquering hero, laps up the season long congratulations from Raptor fans. Gets to rein over the NBA and the Eastern conference, as arguably the NBA's best player. He hits the 10 year mark where he can then join the Lakers, when LeBron is in decline and HE is the first option.

Look at Boogie, two years ago he was looking at a max contract, now ...... not so much. Maybe that worries Kawhi how quick it can all change.

But if he is indeed looking at 5 year contracts, maybe it is a case of he doesn't want to be second banana to LeBron, but doesnt want to be in Toronto for 5 years.
Southern hemisphere Celtics fan!

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 03:27:06 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
1s and 0s
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 11:49:03 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

[b]Toronto played fair with him.  I would think he like to give them a 1-2 year deal .  He can always go to LA in acouple years and still be young and get a max contract for even more money.

[/b]

I have read reports that he isn't considering two year deals, and I wonder if it has anything to do with his injury history. But I agree a two year deal would be best case scenario for him.

He would get to have the best team currently, return as the conquering hero, laps up the season long congratulations from Raptor fans. Gets to rein over the NBA and the Eastern conference, as arguably the NBA's best player. He hits the 10 year mark where he can then join the Lakers, when LeBron is in decline and HE is the first option.

Look at Boogie, two years ago he was looking at a max contract, now ...... not so much. Maybe that worries Kawhi how quick it can all change.

But if he is indeed looking at 5 year contracts, maybe it is a case of he doesn't want to be second banana to LeBron, but doesnt want to be in Toronto for 5 years.

Can he sign a five year deal with all the future year player option years to protect him against a Boogie like situation?

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 11:56:56 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Can he sign a five year deal with all the future year player option years to protect him against a Boogie like situation?
No only the last year of a contract can be an option year. They removed the ability to have multiple options in the post-decision CBA.

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2019, 12:05:52 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
No only the last year of a contract can be an option year. They removed the ability to have multiple options in the post-decision CBA.

I did not realize that. Thanks for posting, TP.

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2019, 12:38:44 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

[/b]

if this s how he feels  like play n with Lebron might suck and doesn't want to bemin Toronto five years ....then mayne the Clippers is,the best choice .    Although i think that two year no being option is more,than likely a pro Lakers Steven A Smith outed rumor to appease,the LA crowd..  Knicks walked away thinking his deal would be two years and they would try again.  I think the non two rumor followed right on the heals of the NY plan to squelch that event.

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2019, 12:45:12 PM »

Offline drooldaddy

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
It will annoy me sooooo much if Lakers can have a screwed up front office and still get Kawhi. If they get hm I am certain some other title chasers will climb aboard.

As if I didn’t hate LA before.