Author Topic: Who are the new top NBA contender now?  (Read 4875 times)

Re: Who are the new top NBA contender now?
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2019, 11:28:11 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I think everyone is under selling Milwaukee.  They had the best record, return with basically the same team, and a year better and wiser with Giannis.

I think they should be pre-season favorites. Unless Kawhi goes to LA, in which case I would definitely favor them to win it all, and could care less how they fill out the balance of their roster.

I do expect Giannis to have learned from this year and to separate himself from everyone else. I don't think Kawhi, or anyone else will be able to deal with him next year. I expect Milwaukee to be really good. They did lose some shooting around him, though.

« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2019, 11:48:18 AM »

Online alt

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 25
Toronto has a lot of important old veterans players that are already slipping a bit. Ujiri has a good track record finding value, but if I were Leonard that would worry me about re-signing with Toronto, especially long term.

I think Philly has gone too far on one side in the speed/size tradeoff. Their 3 main distributors all enjoy playing from the high-post down. Main ball-handler can't shoot. Lots of individual talent but I don't like how those pieces mix, especially throughout a playoff series. And Harris at the 3 will be a massive defensive liability. And those are increasingly costly in the NBA.

As for the Bucks, losing Brogdon is significant, even if Hill/Sterling/Matthews are decent options on that role. But I too wouldn't be surprised if Giannis is even better next season - he has such an obvious avenue to improve, his shooting - and that should make them favourites.

« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2019, 12:07:35 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I think everyone is under selling Milwaukee.  They had the best record, return with basically the same team, and a year better and wiser with Giannis.

I think they should be pre-season favorites. Unless Kawhi goes to LA, in which case I would definitely favor them to win it all, and could care less how they fill out the balance of their roster.

They lost Brogdon though, and he is an impactful very good player.  They lost Mirotic but replaced him with Robin Lopez so they lost some outside shooting, but replaced with better D.

« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2019, 12:09:38 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

They lost Brogdon though, and he is an impactful very good player.  They lost Mirotic but replaced him with Robin Lopez so they lost some outside shooting, but replaced with better D.

Brogdon very good, but the wiped us out without him for most of the series. Matthews will replace some of the offense.  Hill has come back. They still have decent back court depth.

« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2019, 12:16:52 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
EAST:

Toronto:  With Kawhi they are favorites to repeat.  Kawhi can get a lot of rest again during the season with Anunoby back.  Siakam will be even a bit better.  Without Kawhi it's a nothing year (first round exit).

Bucks:  the team around Giannis is very good, but not quite good enough.  Losing Brogdon stings...maybe the following year they'll add just what they need. 

Sixers:  Should lose to Raptors in ECF.  Could make the finals if Kawhi goes West.  But they are very dependent on the full health of every single starter (though maybe Richardson could be adequately filled in for),  Whereas Raptors and Clippers would be more just dependent on health of Kawhi.  Boston much deeper than Philly and matches up very well, and could take them out if they meet before ECF.  Bucks could also take them out. 

Celtics:  Could lose in second round of playoffs or make the finals if no Toronto redux in their path. 

Indiana:  Great team!  But like Sixers they are completely dependent on full health of starters as far as trying to make ECF.

WEST: 

Clippers:  If Kawhi goes there they are the favorites to win the title, without a doubt.  What else could you ask for?  Perfect team...like Toronto but younger and less vulnerable to injury concerns.  Without Kawhi it's a loss in first or second round of playoffs.

*Lakers:  With Kawhi it's automatic title.  Without it's a playoff loss in second round or WCF.  Regular season blues as Lebron has to coast at this stage.  But major playoff headache even without Kawhi.

Houston:  Better do what they can to go for it all.  They have a chance if Paul and Harden can work out their chemistry.

Denver/Portland:  Next best

Utah:  currently overrated.  Excellent team but not quite the level of Denver or Portland (though Utah could knock off one of the aging teams like Houston).

Ok. City:  Similar or slightly better season than last.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 12:29:23 PM by wiley »

« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2019, 01:17:35 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Well, its definitely not the Knicks.

« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2019, 01:21:14 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Not a lot of love for GSW eh? When is Klay expected to come back? If he comes back to full strength They still have to be favored in the West IMO as long as KL doesn't wimp out and go to the Fakers!

« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2019, 01:28:20 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
EAST:

Sixers:  Should lose to Raptors in ECF.  Could make the finals if Kawhi goes West.  But they are very dependent on the full health of every single starter (though maybe Richardson could be adequately filled in for),  Whereas Raptors and Clippers would be more just dependent on health of Kawhi. Boston much deeper than Philly and matches up very well, and could take them out if they meet before ECF.  Bucks could also take them out. 

How are we much deeper than the Sixers?  How do we match up very well with them?  We lost AL.  We lost Baynes.  We lost Morris.  We're going to be starting Kanter.  The Sixers have Embiid and now they have AL too.  Our bigs are a horrible match up.  The Sixers no longer have Redick to exploit on defense. 

« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2019, 01:31:08 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Not a lot of love for GSW eh? When is Klay expected to come back? If he comes back to full strength They still have to be favored in the West IMO as long as KL doesn't wimp out and go to the Fakers!
He just had the surgery so probably February at the earliest.   

« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2019, 04:47:48 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
EAST:

Sixers:  Should lose to Raptors in ECF.  Could make the finals if Kawhi goes West.  But they are very dependent on the full health of every single starter (though maybe Richardson could be adequately filled in for),  Whereas Raptors and Clippers would be more just dependent on health of Kawhi. Boston much deeper than Philly and matches up very well, and could take them out if they meet before ECF.  Bucks could also take them out. 

How are we much deeper than the Sixers?  How do we match up very well with them?  We lost AL.  We lost Baynes.  We lost Morris.  We're going to be starting Kanter.  The Sixers have Embiid and now they have AL too.  Our bigs are a horrible match up.  The Sixers no longer have Redick to exploit on defense.

They have more talent in their starting 5 for sure.  And their starting bigs picture obliterates ours, but we may have more quality in depth in bigs, making injury concerns greater for them.
And I think the Celtics are deeper overall, mainly via amazing depth at wing.  I like our overall PG picture more than theirs too, despite Ben's talents. 

« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2019, 05:37:31 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
EAST:

They have more talent in their starting 5 for sure.  And their starting bigs picture obliterates ours, but we may have more quality in depth in bigs, making injury concerns greater for them.
And I think the Celtics are deeper overall, mainly via amazing depth at wing.  I like our overall PG picture more than theirs too, despite Ben's talents.
We were possibly the deepest team last season.  We're much less deep this season. 

Guards: Kemba Walker, Marcus Smart, Brad Wanamaker, Carsen Edwards

Wings: Gordon Hayward, Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown, Semi Ojeleye, Romeo Langford

Bigs: Daniel Theis, Robert Williams, Enes Kanter, Vincent Poirier, Grant Williams, Guerschon Yabusele

There's a whole lot of youth and unproven players on our roster.  I only count 5 players with more than 2 years of NBA experience.  Add Tatum and we have 6 established NBA players.  The wing strength is very dependent on how much improved Hayward is.