Author Topic: Who are the new top NBA contender now?  (Read 4855 times)

Re: Who are the new top NBA contender now?
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2019, 11:08:43 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
If Kawhi stays in Toronto, then in the East I think it's:

1.)Milwaukee
2.)Philly
3.)Toronto
4.)Boston
5.)Brooklyn
6.)Indiana

and then anybody's ball-game....

I think even with Kawhi, Toronto slips a bit because they become more about the playoffs, less about regular season but still good enough to secure home court in 1st round and good enough to make it back to finals (see 09/10 Celtics.)

I do feel Milwaukee and Philly are going to be even better. The Bucks may have lost Brogdon and Mirotic, but they also brought back Middleton, Hill, Brook Lopez and added the other Lopez and Wesley Matthews along with the MVP.

Philly will also click well because they're moving Harris to the wing and Horford will complement Embiid well at the 4.

The good news is even with all the departures, I still feel we are going to be right in the middle of the pack and believe we end up with either the 4th or 5th seed.

If Kawhi leaves Toronto, then they could slip as low as 5th or 6th and could move the Celts to high as number 3.

In the West, I think it's

1.)Denver
2.)Portland
3.)Lakers
4.)Rockets
5.)Warriors
6.)Clippers
7.)Utah
8.)Dallas

If Kawhi joins either LA team, this gets altered a bit but I think this is my overall Western prediction. The Warriors slide quite a bit without Klay and Durant, Dallas is the sleeper team this year with a healthy Porzingis and I think the Thunder start to fall apart don't even make the playoffs.

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2019, 11:26:46 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
If he stays in Toronto then I think it's very murky. If he goes to either LA team I'd have them top.
I don't think the Clippers supporting cast is as good as the Raptors.  Raptors are much better defensively.
I don't know about this. Lou Williams is better offensively than anyone the Raptors have, as is Gallo, and Montrezl is a hugely impactful player. They also have a great defender in Beverley and one of the best guard prospects in the league in SGA. If they keep Zubac they have a really solid young big too.

Toronto on the other hand is very reliant on old players with lots of mileage in Gasol and Lowry, and to a lesser extent Ibaka. You're right that they're better defensively, but I think LAC have a better supporting cast. I don't think Toronto minus Kawhi could have done in the West what the Clippers did this last season
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2019, 11:30:53 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Realistic Contenders assuming basically full health from everyone

Kawhi in Toronto
(in order)
East - Milwaukee, Toronto, Philly, Indiana
West - Utah, Denver, Houston, Portland, LAL, Golden St.

I'd have the Lakers higher, but I don't think they are going to have a great record which will make their road very tough, but I certainly wouldn't bet against James and Davis in a playoff series against any team in the league.

Kawhi with Lakers
(in order)
East - Milwaukee, Philly
West - LAL
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2019, 11:31:45 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

1.)Milwaukee
2.)Philly
3.)Toronto
4.)Boston
5.)Brooklyn
6.)Indiana

I think even with Kawhi, Toronto slips a bit because they become more about the playoffs, less about regular season but still good enough to secure home court in 1st round and good enough to make it back to finals (see 09/10 Celtics.)

I do feel Milwaukee and Philly are going to be even better. The Bucks may have lost Brogdon and Mirotic, but they also brought back Middleton, Hill, Brook Lopez and added the other Lopez and Wesley Matthews along with the MVP.

Philly will also click well because they're moving Harris to the wing and Horford will complement Embiid well at the 4.

The good news is even with all the departures, I still feel we are going to be right in the middle of the pack and believe we end up with either the 4th or 5th seed.

If Kawhi leaves Toronto, then they could slip as low as 5th or 6th and could move the Celts to high as number 3.

1.)Denver
2.)Portland
3.)Lakers
4.)Rockets
5.)Warriors
6.)Clippers
7.)Utah
8.)Dallas

If Kawhi joins either LA team, this gets altered a bit but I think this is my overall Western prediction. The Warriors slide quite a bit without Klay and Durant, Dallas is the sleeper team this year with a healthy Porzingis and I think the Thunder start to fall apart don't even make the playoffs.
Wow, you're really down on Utah? I think they're going to be a top 4 Western team
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2019, 05:51:03 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Tempted by Philly as league's best team right now.

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2019, 06:49:01 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Waiting on how sign and trades go down.

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2019, 06:50:15 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
If Kawhi doesnt go to the Lakers, i could see them missing the playoffs.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2019, 06:57:40 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

1.)Milwaukee
2.)Philly
3.)Toronto
4.)Boston
5.)Brooklyn
6.)Indiana

1.)Denver
2.)Portland
3.)Lakers
4.)Rockets
5.)Warriors
6.)Clippers
7.)Utah
8.)Dallas

Wow, you're really down on Utah? I think they're going to be a top 4 Western team

Yeah Utah is easily a top 4 team. Portland’s lost a lot of role players and will still be missing Nurkic. Denver is still a couple years away from a number one team.

I think top 4 goes Houston, Utah, Denver, Portland, LAL, OKC, Warriors, LAC with Dallas right there looking in.

If Kawhi chooses LAC they move too top three with Houston and Utah.

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2019, 07:19:10 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

1.)Milwaukee
2.)Philly
3.)Toronto
4.)Boston
5.)Brooklyn
6.)Indiana

1.)Denver
2.)Portland
3.)Lakers
4.)Rockets
5.)Warriors
6.)Clippers
7.)Utah
8.)Dallas

Yeah Utah is easily a top 4 team. Portland’s lost a lot of role players and will still be missing Nurkic. Denver is still a couple years away from a number one team.

I think top 4 goes Houston, Utah, Denver, Portland, LAL, OKC, Warriors, LAC with Dallas right there looking in.

If Kawhi chooses LAC they move too top three with Houston and Utah.
I actually think Portland got better.  Still need a back-up PG, but pretty solid overall as I actually like what Whiteside brings and think Bazemore is a better fit for what they need.

PG - Lillard
SG - McCollum, Bazemore
SF - Hood, Hezonja, Little
PF - Collins, Tolliver, Labissiere
C - Whiteside, Nurkic

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2019, 07:50:31 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I am interested to see how well Mike Conley and Donovan Mitchell work together.

Mitchell is a ball-dominant two guard who does his best work when he is allowed to monopolize the ball. Mike Conley needs a lot of the ball to do what he has been doing as a scorer these last few years. It'll be interesting to see how that dynamic develops. Whether they get in each other's way a bit. Or not.

I am not sure how well Mitchell will play with other ball-handlers. He does his best work when he is allowed to freelance. Take a lot of possession. Take a lot of drives. A lot of shots. Not always the easiest type of player to play with for other talented offensive players.

He was great on an offensive starved team like Utah has been this last few years but this upcoming season is going to tell us a lot more about Mitchell and how good he really is. 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 07:58:07 AM by Who »

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2019, 07:55:01 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I actually think Portland got better.  Still need a back-up PG, but pretty solid overall as I actually like what Whiteside brings and think Bazemore is a better fit for what they need.

PG - Lillard
SG - McCollum, Bazemore
C - Whiteside, Nurkic

I don't trust Hood. Never know whether he is going to show up or not. He was great in the playoffs last year but who knows what he'll give going forward. He is a wild card in my eyes. He could make or break this team.

That PF position though ... that is not a pretty sight. Very little offensive contribution there. Dodgy group of players. They need to get in someone good there.

I like Zach Collins at center but he is going to have to contribute a lot more offensively than he has in the past to play PF full time.

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2019, 08:13:50 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

PG - Lillard
SG - McCollum, Bazemore
C - Whiteside, Nurkic

I don't trust Hood. Never know whether he is going to show up or not. He was great in the playoffs last year but who knows what he'll give going forward. He is a wild card in my eyes. He could make or break this team.

That PF position though ... that is not a pretty sight. Very little offensive contribution there. Dodgy group of players. They need to get in someone good there.

I like Zach Collins at center but he is going to have to contribute a lot more offensively than he has in the past to play PF full time.
Saw some speculation that they might try to flip Whiteside for Love. 

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2019, 08:17:46 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

PG - Lillard
SG - McCollum, Bazemore
C - Whiteside, Nurkic

Well until Nurkic is back he is going to get a lot of time at center and they are going to have the shooter Tolliver getting a lot of minutes.  I actually like Tolliver in that role.  When you have 2 great scoring guards, you really don't need much scoring from those spots.  Just need guys that know their role and could do them well.  I expect Tolliver to be a 40 percent or so 3 point shooter in that system and with the open looks.  Making 2 or so a game.  I don't think they need much more from that spot. 

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2019, 08:18:38 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

PG - Lillard
SG - McCollum, Bazemore
C - Whiteside, Nurkic

Saw some speculation that they might try to flip Whiteside for Love.
I could see that from both those teams.  Especially after Nurkic is back.

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2019, 08:33:58 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Tempted by Philly as league's best team right now.

Really?
What's the rest of their team look like? All I can think of right now is:
Embiid
Horford
Harris
Simmons

Did they get the kid from Miami after the trade got changed? Losing Butler and JJ are huge loses they were maybe their best playoff performers other than Embiid when he is healthy.

Honestly they look big and slow to me and in a half court game Simmons is a disaster! I don't think they are better than last years team, I don't like their team lol. I admit they should be good but I don't see them as a contender.