Author Topic: The Knicks fiasco  (Read 2630 times)

The Knicks fiasco
« on: July 01, 2019, 11:57:54 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
OK, I admit it. I love hating on the Knicks! :D

They were dreaming of Zion. They ended up with RJ Barrett instead. Not the end of the world, but definitely not the same upside there.
They dumped Porzingis in order to free up cap space for 2 max contracts. So far they've signed:

Julius Randle (3 years, 63 million)
Bobby Portis (2 years, 31 million)
Taj Gibson (2 years, 20 million)
Wayne Ellington (2 years, 16 million)
Elfrid Payton (2 years, 16 million)

And on top of all that, rumor has it that they were unwilling to offer KD the max!

Can't stop laughing at the Knicks! They are hilarious! ;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 01:44:44 PM by Jvalin »

Re: The Knicks fiasco
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 12:00:31 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Yeah, they're a dumpster fire.

That said, probably the only way for the Knicks to rehab their franchise is to just be solid for a while.  Sign a bunch of capable, hard-working vets and try to win 41+ games for half a decade.  If they did that and avoided major scandals, didn't cycle through a different head coach every season, and were just a solid middle of the road, mediocre NBA team, that might change things.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 12:02:10 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Why would they sign 3 PF's in free agency?  I mean I get they missed out on the big names and wanted to get some quality starter level players on short contracts, but 3 PF's.  That is just strange.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 12:03:28 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Decent role player/rotation player signings but the fanbase can't be happy with everything that went down.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 12:05:22 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Why would they sign 3 PF's in free agency?  I mean I get they missed out on the big names and wanted to get some quality starter level players on short contracts, but 3 PF's.  That is just strange.
Because they are the Knicks! ;D

(On a more serious note, I guess they plan to use Randle at the 5. Don't think he can coexist with Gibson though. They both score the majority of their points around the basket.)

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 12:05:40 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

That said, probably the only way for the Knicks to rehab their franchise is to just be solid for a while.  Sign a bunch of capable, hard-working vets and try to win 41+ games for half a decade.  If they did that and avoided major scandals, didn't cycle through a different head coach every season, and were just a solid middle of the road, mediocre NBA team, that might change things.
You mean, stuck in mediocre purgatory?  I thought that is always the worst place to be.

The only way to rehab that franchise is to get rid of James Dolan.

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 12:09:30 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I think they are surprisingly OK,

Dennis Smith Jr.
Alonso Trier
RJ Barrett
Kevin Knox
Bobby Portis
Julius Randle
Mitchell Robison

That is not a terrible young core.

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 12:16:24 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Nets

stole

their team

and Knicks gave away Zinger ...ran him off ... ::)

Clippers .....understand how Knicks feel  ;D

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2019, 12:24:25 PM »

Offline Pvictor11

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 62

Dennis Smith Jr.
Alonso Trier
RJ Barrett
Kevin Knox
Bobby Portis
Julius Randle
Mitchell Robison

Come on now, you can't be serious. Trier is a fringe rotation player. Barrett did not even play a game yet. Dallas did not even flinch about giving up DSJ (maybe Carlisle saw something wrong, I trust his eye). Portis and Randle were the classic cases of good numbers on bad teams (remember the Tim Hardaway Jr. signing?). Kevin Knox couldn't even put good numbers on a bad team and did not even make any all rookie team. Robinson maybe a good defensive center, but this have more value to a contender, not to a young core.
Brazilian Celtic Fan!

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2019, 12:25:46 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Super strange, especially since they already have Mitch Robinson on a cheap contract.  Those guys might only play 20-24 mpg each.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2019, 12:28:15 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If nothing else, they have three big men on very trade-able  contracts come the trade deadline that maybe a good GM could turn into draft assets. 

Good GM/management being the biggest downside for the team.

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2019, 01:02:34 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

That said, probably the only way for the Knicks to rehab their franchise is to just be solid for a while.  Sign a bunch of capable, hard-working vets and try to win 41+ games for half a decade.  If they did that and avoided major scandals, didn't cycle through a different head coach every season, and were just a solid middle of the road, mediocre NBA team, that might change things. get a new owner.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2019, 01:04:26 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

Dennis Smith Jr.
Alonso Trier
RJ Barrett
Kevin Knox
Bobby Portis
Julius Randle
Mitchell Robison

Come on now, you can't be serious. Trier is a fringe rotation player. Barrett did not even play a game yet. Dallas did not even flinch about giving up DSJ (maybe Carlisle saw something wrong, I trust his eye). Portis and Randle were the classic cases of good numbers on bad teams (remember the Tim Hardaway Jr. signing?). Kevin Knox couldn't even put good numbers on a bad team and did not even make any all rookie team. Robinson maybe a good defensive center, but this have more value to a contender, not to a young core.
yeah, i am delighted to write that this team is bad.  ;D i rejoice in knick suffering, always.

i doubt this team wins 32 games this season. let's see.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2019, 01:20:20 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Well they were able to get some bigs unlike us lol. We have more talent by far but in a physical half court game they may beat are asses! Thank god we traded Baynes!! :-\

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2019, 01:24:38 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

That said, probably the only way for the Knicks to rehab their franchise is to just be solid for a while.  Sign a bunch of capable, hard-working vets and try to win 41+ games for half a decade.  If they did that and avoided major scandals, didn't cycle through a different head coach every season, and were just a solid middle of the road, mediocre NBA team, that might change things. get a new owner.

I mean, yeah.
- Mark Twain