Author Topic: Russell to Warriors(merged threads)  (Read 4354 times)

Re: Warriors aquiring Russell is smarter then you think
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2019, 08:06:05 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
- Most importantly, keeps them over the cap and could hypothetically flip Russell for the next disgruntled star player adding a better fitting younger player to their ageing core.
LOL

They were well over the cap even with Durant gone for nothing.

Curry: $40 million
Klay: $32.7 million
Draymond: $18.5 million

That is $91 million for just 3 guys, even just 9 roster charges at 897k they're within $10 million of the salary cap. They also had Andre at $17 million before they traded him, Damian Jones, Jacob Evans, and anyone else they sign.

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2019, 08:08:42 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I feel like this move only has the upside if they get KAT or someone of his caliber for Russell.
Otherwise, it is a bad move that ties them up cap wise, strips them of their draft assets (2x1st) loses team depth, makes them worse this year and dismisses a club legend who can still play (Iggy).
Can they pull a trade to get a monster return?
Perhaps, but I wouldn't bet on it. It takes 2 to dance.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2019, 08:12:00 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'm not a huge fan of the deal, but I get wanting to get something for KD leaving.

Losing Iggy isn't a big deal imo. They were going to let him walk after this year anyways, Russell probably brings more in a regular season context without Klay playing for much of the year too.

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2019, 08:16:17 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I actually think they keep him at least until the trade deadline the following season.  I do actually think they want to see if he can play with Curry and Thompson. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2019, 08:21:01 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
It wasn't terrible, but the clock is ticking until Klay returns. Giving up two 1sts (and Iggy) means they need to acquire at least that when they trade him.

I don't necessarily think Russell is a bad player - in fact I was interested in signing him before the Kemba rumors - it's just that there is no way he is going to be as good on that Warriors team as he was on a Nets team desperate for scoring. Once Klay returns, his role and value will be diminished to an extent (already questionable as a max signing).

Somehow, someway they were able to keep Looney through all of this. That makes the deal much more palatable if you are a GSW fan.

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2019, 08:35:22 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
I think it was a great signing, but primarily for a different reason.  If I were a warriors fan this upcoming season I would have been really worried about the wear & tear Steph would take from the massive load he has this year.  This signing really helps alleviate that while keeping high end talent on this team and open up flexibility.  It's a great bridge to whatever the team does in future years, which may involve Russell too.

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2019, 08:48:01 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
It wasn't terrible, but the clock is ticking until Klay returns. Giving up two 1sts (and Iggy) means they need to acquire at least that when they trade him.

I don't necessarily think Russell is a bad player - in fact I was interested in signing him before the Kemba rumors - it's just that there is no way he is going to be as good on that Warriors team as he was on a Nets team desperate for scoring. Once Klay returns, his role and value will be diminished to an extent (already questionable as a max signing).

Somehow, someway they were able to keep Looney through all of this. That makes the deal much more palatable if you are a GSW fan.
Russell is a good passer, solid rebounder, and he plays fairly well off the ball.  I think he will be pretty darn good player in GS and while I don't think Thompson can play SF the whole game, I do think he could start each half in that position and be just fine doing so and then they just rotate the 3 of them the rest of the half (i.e. 2 of them in the game most of the time and occasionally all 3).  I really believe GS thinks the 3 of them can play together.  That said, if they find a trade they like, I don't think they would hesitate at all in trading Russell. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2019, 10:41:20 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
Yeah, I've heard some complaining/confusion about why the Warriors would take on Russell which blows my mind. They were losing KD for nothing but instead nabbed a very tradeable asset. Good for them.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2019, 10:45:53 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
Just feels like there is some backdoor deal going on here people aren't privy too yet. The simplest guess is Minnesota and Brookyln weren't good trade partners. GS saw a way to get in on an asset with a future promise to trade him later, probably to Minnesota involving Covington and other pieces.

Re: Stein: Warriors expected to eventually trade Russell away
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2019, 11:56:38 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
if you could trade 2 late first rounders for a guarantee all star, would you do it

Sure but trades are not that easy.  Russell now carries $30M in salary.  No one has that kind of cap space  Maybe there are some exceptions out there, I don't know.  Seems as though GSW are not going to have much leverage.  Teams can say take my bad contracts or no deal.

Maybe GSW plan to play him for a year while Thompson is recovering, then trade him.  I can kind of see that but still don't get why Russell agrees to this sign and trade.  I guess he figured it was the only way to get his money knowing the Nets weren't going to pay him now that they have Kyrie.
I wonder if they plan on experimenting going super small line up with 3 guards starting

You know, the more I think about this, the more I am coming around.  For years to come, they could start Curry, Russell, Thompson, Green, and Cousins (five current or past all stars).  That is actually not all that small of a line up and would certainly contend.  Of course Thompson is going to be out most or all of 2019-20 but once he is back, that is a pretty good team.  And if they don't get Cousins back, insert Looney+Stein.  Still pretty good.

I still say that Russell probably does not do this signing planning on being traded this season or he has agreed to where he will be traded.  That is still the part I question.  Yes, Russell did get his money but do you take that deal knowing you could be traded to Sacramento in a year or less?

« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2019, 11:59:13 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I don't think he can get traded till January. But I thought it was obvious he was eventually trade bait, they wanted to get something for KD at least and they did.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2019, 12:28:43 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Were the Warriors the only team willing to pay Russell the max? That is the only reason I can see him agreeing to the deal. It's not like he can increase his market value by playing in the Golden State offense, as he would be playing in year one of a four year max deal. If he really wanted to play for another team, then why not just sign there to begin with, and skip this whole charade and prevent your desired team from giving up assets to trade for you. I can see why the Warriors would want to do this, as Klay Thompson will miss most of next season, and they're opening up their new arena. I hope this blow up in the Warriors face, where they can't find a trade partner, and Green leaves because the Warriors can't pay four max players.