Author Topic: Russell to Warriors(merged threads)  (Read 4351 times)

Re: Stein: Warriors expected to eventually trade Russell away
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2019, 04:29:03 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Not sure this will stay as a separate thread but why would Russell agree to this?  He did not have to agree to the sign and trade.  He probably could have gotten the money directly from someone.

He could be traded anywhere, say Sacramento.  Or he could get hurt and then the Warriors are stuck with him.  Are they going to not play him until they can trade him?  What is the waiting period before they can trade him again, 60 days?

I suspect that there is a deal in place already that Russell has agreed to.  The Knicks would make sense.  We'll see.

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2019, 04:33:07 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
GSW gave away two firsts to make it happen... if true, pricey for someone they intend to flip

Dunno what the protections are  for the pick they sent to BKN, but the lightly protected 2024 pick they sent to MEM has massive potential

Could be a mistake down the road throwing picks away like that, no better than Sacramento dumping picks and contracts a few years ago

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2019, 04:41:53 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
I think Russell to Orlando for Gordon, Augustin, and a 1st makes a lot of sense for both parties.

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2019, 04:47:31 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
GSW gave away two firsts to make it happen... if true, pricey for someone they intend to flip

Dunno what the protections are  for the pick they sent to BKN, but the lightly protected 2024 pick they sent to MEM has massive potential

Could be a mistake down the road throwing picks away like that, no better than Sacramento dumping picks and contracts a few years ago
if you could trade 2 late first rounders for a guarantee all star, would you do it

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2019, 04:49:54 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
They need to trade him sooner rather than later before the gleam fades from his all-star appearance. 

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2019, 04:55:05 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

if you could trade 2 late first rounders for a guarantee all star, would you do it
No.  He's not a guarantee allstar and he's certainly not sniffing an all-star appear in the West.  He's most likely a guarantee overpay already.  This could turn into another Wiggins situation.  They need to flip him quick. 

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2019, 04:55:12 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Yeah I never thought GSW made sense for him. However, he’s in a good spot. I just hope they keep him in on trade destinations. Not sure why Russel would agree to it unless he had some prior knowledge.

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2019, 04:55:19 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

Sure but trades are not that easy.  Russell now carries $30M in salary.  No one has that kind of cap space  Maybe there are some exceptions out there, I don't know.  Seems as though GSW are not going to have much leverage.  Teams can say take my bad contracts or no deal.

Maybe GSW plan to play him for a year while Thompson is recovering, then trade him.  I can kind of see that but still don't get why Russell agrees to this sign and trade.  I guess he figured it was the only way to get his money knowing the Nets weren't going to pay him now that they have Kyrie.

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2019, 04:57:36 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Sure but trades are not that easy.  Russell now carries $30M in salary.  No one has that kind of cap space  Maybe there are some exceptions out there, I don't know.  Seems as though GSW are not going to have much leverage.  Teams can say take my bad contracts or no deal.

Maybe GSW plan to play him for a year while Thompson is recovering, then trade him.  I can kind of see that but still don't get why Russell agrees to this sign and trade.  I guess he figured it was the only way to get his money knowing the Nets weren't going to pay him now that they have Kyrie.
I wonder if they plan on experimenting going super small line up with 3 guards starting

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2019, 05:24:34 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I think Russell to Orlando for Gordon, Augustin, and a 1st makes a lot of sense for both parties.
Good idea.  Or maybe Bamba instead of Augustin (w/o the 1st) since they just committed themselves to Vucevic long term.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2019, 05:41:55 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Honestly I'm just annoyed by the whole thing. I get the NBA messed up and let to much money out into the cap a few years back and this opened up enough space for GSW to sign KD. But than they sign Klay to a max, Curry has a max, Green being paid well I'm sure. Than they do a S&T KD for Russell and how many millions are they over the cap? How much do they have to pay in luxury tax? The NBA salary cap is so broken it's just awful!! >:(

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2019, 05:44:48 PM »

Offline Pvictor11

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 62
Why do they need Gordon if they have Green at the 4? Gordon does not play well as a 3. So, I don't think this trade is good fit wise for GSW.
I think Beal would make more sense. Maybe Washington bites. He is younger, is locked up for longer and can play off ball with Wall
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 05:53:14 PM by Pvictor11 »
Brazilian Celtic Fan!

Warriors aquiring Russell is smarter then you think
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2019, 06:20:27 AM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
There is more than meets the eye to this sign and trade;

- They will be getting an All-Star in return to an asset that was essentially gone anyway which is miraculous in itself.

- Russell will be offensive cover for Thompson.

- Hopefully Russell continues to develop his game in a great environment.

- Gives fan some level of excitement moving into a new arena and with very expensive tickets.

- Most importantly, keeps them over the cap and could hypothetically flip Russell for the next disgruntled star player adding a better fitting younger player to their ageing core.

Re: Warriors aquiring Russell is smarter then you think
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2019, 06:22:18 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Yeah, I think the main (or really only) reason they did this was to get an asset they can flip later. I have no doubt that the Warriors have no intention of playing Steph, D-Lo and Klay. Can't see it working.

Unsure who will be available, but it's interesting
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Re: Warriors aquiring Russell is smarter then you think
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2019, 08:02:54 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Really good deal for the Warriors. Russell can help them compete next year and be used to upgrade when Klay is back if necessary.

In any case, though, the Warriors days of being "light years" ahead are over.