Author Topic: Fultz (merged threads)  (Read 4104 times)

Fultz (merged threads)
« on: December 05, 2019, 04:17:42 PM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
Watching Fultz with Orlando he looks like old college Fultz and he still is only 21.

Given how little Orlando gave up surely we could have beaten their bid and developed him as Walker’s eventually replacement.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 05:12:09 PM by shut_the_gate »

Re: Why didn’t we go after to Fultz when 76ers were giving him away?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 04:20:12 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I would have liked to have pursued him, but Walker pretty likely is not on the team with Fultz as Fultz's salary is quite large. 

I do wonder what might have been had we traded Rozier + filler for Fultz last year though.  Would have been an interesting trade for both teams and having Fultz now would have been nice (his salary alone makes a trade so much easier). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 04:27:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Watching Fultz with Orlando he looks like old college Fultz and he still is only 21.

Given how little Orlando gave up surely we could have beaten their bid and developed him as Walker’s eventually replacement.

76ers wouldn't have done that

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 04:35:19 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I don't think other GMs want to deal with Danny and end up looking like fools.

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 04:36:03 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Danny has cojones, but calling ORL and offering a bag of balls for Fultz would be straight up trolling.

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 04:45:24 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I don't think other GMs want to deal with Danny and end up looking like fools.

Yeah, I think a big question would be whether Philly would ever do any trade with Boston that concerned Fultz.  It'd certainly look like they'd have egg on their face.  Boston gets Fultz anyways after swindling Philly before the '17 draft?  I'm sure that would've played real well with their fanbase & local media.

Also, one big thing to consider is that Danny & company did a TON of scouting on Fultz leading up to the draft.  They had a book on the kid.   The due diligence certainly would've been there.  Maybe they simply just don't think the kid from a basketball standpoint. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 04:50:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
 The answer to the question is quite obvious. At the time he was available, he absolutely sucked. He was being looked at as bad a #1 pick as Anthony Bennett. And you had to pay the guy  $8-12 million a year over the course of his contract for the pleasure of seeing him suck.

The kid still is a horrid shooter with FT% and 3PT% that make early Marcus Smart look like Steph Curry. Danny rightfully steared clear of trying to add Fultz to this team. I don't care where he was drafted, right now he should be looked at as a very marginal prospect at best.

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 05:25:08 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
The answer to the question is quite obvious. At the time he was available, he absolutely sucked. He was being looked at as bad a #1 pick as Anthony Bennett. And you had to pay the guy  $8-12 million a year over the course of his contract for the pleasure of seeing him suck.

The kid still is a horrid shooter with FT% and 3PT% that make early Marcus Smart look like Steph Curry. Danny rightfully steared clear of trying to add Fultz to this team. I don't care where he was drafted, right now he should be looked at as a very marginal prospect at best.

He is shooting 78% from the foul line and 48% from 16ft-3 so really its just a 3pnt problem right now.

Re: Why didn’t we go after Fultz when 76ers were giving him away?
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2019, 05:26:29 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Markelle's finally finding his way and I'm happy for him and ORL. He is looking like a stud.

But Kemba's studdier.

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 05:31:51 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Because he has bust written all over him for a former number 1 pick. We also do not need his position, we need big men.

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2019, 06:12:13 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Exactly.  We would have had to salary match his 5M+ salary to trade for him.  Ainge would have had to deal with his 9.7M on the books for the offseason.  That would have affected who we were able to sign.  Then before this season started we'd have had to pick up his 4th year option for 12.2M. 

A mediocre team like Orlando can afford to take the risk of all that salary for a player with significant bust possibility.  A championship contender or even pretender can't. 

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2019, 06:18:34 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Markelle's finally finding his way and I'm happy for him and ORL. He is looking like a stud.

Number one picks that take three years to become a player are not studs!  That 21% three point percentages impresses me did Ben Simmons teach him that?

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2019, 06:31:02 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Number one picks that take three years to become a player are not studs!  That 21% three point percentages impresses me did Ben Simmons teach him that?

Funny you should mention Big Ben....he is symptomatic of what ails Markelle, IMO.

An organization that has a talent like Ben and hasn't fostered his FULL development (shooting) is the same organization that seemingly faltered with Markelle.

Joel Embiid apparently out of shape during the playoffs last year...some of it not his fault (with his injuries) but still.........

All of this is not to even mention the funny stuff regarding Markelle while he was in PHI.......

Now? PHI has cleaned out their cupboard of a bench last year and has appeared to place their stock in their starters. We'll see how that works for them but IMO it leaves them rather thin....

This is our PHI 76ers. Markelle gets a fresh start now and I'm happy for him.

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2019, 06:43:49 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

He is shooting 78% from the foul line and 48% from 16ft-3 so really its just a 3pnt problem right now.

He's shot 45FTs (admittedly more than in either of his first two seasons, so it's hard to tell anything about his shooting from the line) and 23 from 16ft-3 (one miss/make changes your shooting % by over 4% at that point), so I'm not exactly ready to say anything about his shooting improving (or not improving)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2019, 07:03:28 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

He's not looking like a stud, but he no longer looks terrible. He's a much more efficient player than Lonzo, who has again been injured this year. I'm glad to see him doing well only because it's an even poorer reflection on Philly
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)