Author Topic: David Griffin taking over in NOP  (Read 13639 times)

Re: David Griffin taking over in NOP
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2019, 09:02:38 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Smart has been to Conference Final twice, how many did Davis have?

Thank you

James Jones has been to the NBA Finals seven straight times.

If he was still playing and on the Lakers, Lebron would surely be in another NBA Finals this year  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2019, 09:10:55 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

We simply cannot forget Smart's impact on our team AND on the game. Danny had better have a plan if Smart is included in a trade package.

Homerism crap!  Davis will have a bigger impact, who are you trying to kid?    I have a bridge I will sell you if  you want JK. 

Winshares for Davis 72  Winshares for Smart 16.2

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/davisan02.html

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/smartma01.html

I think should he come here you would forget pretty quickly given that disparity.

Are you seriously using cumulative career Win Shares in order to say who is better? Davis has played an extra 3 years in the league, obviously he'll have more Win Shares. Nene has more than Davis, but that doesn't mean he's the better player

I don't think anyone here would argue that Smart is better than Davis, but pointing out that Davis has more career Win Shares is not a good way to prove it
You're not wrong, but it doesn't change the fact that Smart hovers between 1/3-1/2 the Win Shares per 48 minutes that Davis averages

Which is exactly the stat that should have been used. Giving a cumulative stat for two players at vastly different parts of their career is useless
I'm bitter.

« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2019, 09:19:28 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Like I said I like Smart and think he is a "TRUE CELTIC"   

Are you seriously using cumulative career Win Shares in order to say who is better? Davis has played an extra 3 years in the league, obviously he'll have more Win Shares. Nene has more than Davis, but that doesn't mean he's the better player

Get a clue, here are their head to head player comparisons, I guess you just got more Bitter.  Nene has 73 win shares in 19 seasons, Smart 16 in five and Davis has 72 in seven.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=1&player_id1_hint=Marcus+Smart&player_id1_select=Marcus+Smart&player_id1=smartma01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Anthony+Davis&player_id2_select=Anthony+Davis&player_id2=davisan02&idx=players

Dude, read my whole post. Nobody is saying that Smart is better than Davis, I'm telling you that the stat you used to "prove" Davis is better is useless.

To make it easier for you to find:

We simply cannot forget Smart's impact on our team AND on the game. Danny had better have a plan if Smart is included in a trade package.

Homerism crap!  Davis will have a bigger impact, who are you trying to kid?    I have a bridge I will sell you if  you want JK. 

Winshares for Davis 72  Winshares for Smart 16.2

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/davisan02.html

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/smartma01.html

I think should he come here you would forget pretty quickly given that disparity.

I don't think anyone here would argue that Smart is better than Davis, but pointing out that Davis has more career Win Shares is not a good way to prove it

I even highlighted the important bits in case you want to just skim through it/cut out most of it again
I'm bitter.

« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2019, 10:47:11 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Smart has been to Conference Final twice, how many did Davis have?

Thank you

James Jones has been to the NBA Finals seven straight times.

How many times James Jones made game winning plays like Smart?

Game 3 of 2017 ECF?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhgSSbBcYGc

Game 4 of 2016 First Round?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW26rBpwTlo

Game 5 of 2017 Second round?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyMXOnV10Yo

Smart may not be better than Davis, but he have great chemistry with his team and have shown much impact than James Jones ever had. Talent can only take you so far if Davis is not committing and fitting with the team.

I'm all with trading for Davis, but not at the expense of our glue guys.

If I am Danny, I'd offer all our 2019 picks, Tatum, Rozier, Yabusele and even the Timelord (as much as he is good potentially).

« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2019, 10:51:46 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
you must be from the Magic school of GMs....lol

« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2019, 05:34:37 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Sounds like potential wavering now that Griffin is there. They are getting impression he could be open to staying. Could be ploy...imagine if they end up trading for a star instead and give away their draft pick to help matters. What is their cap situation?

Speaking at his introductory press conference on Wednesday, new Pelicans Executive VP of Basketball Operations David Griffin said that he thinks Anthony Davis would be open to staying in New Orleans.
Griffin got that impression from discussions with Davis' representative, Rich Paul. It certainly helps that New Orleans has a respected basketball mind calling the shots now, but it'd still be a surprise if the Pelicans proceeded with Davis in limbo — Griffin wants to know whether he's in or out before anything happens. This could also be a leverage play to force potential trade suitors to pony up as much as possible. Expect plenty more updates on Davis' thoughts throughout the summer.
Source: Will Guillory on Twitter

« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2019, 05:36:43 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Sounds like potential wavering now that Griffin is there. They are getting impression he could be open to staying. Could be ploy...imagine if they end up trading for a star instead and give away their draft pick to help matters. What is their cap situation?

Speaking at his introductory press conference on Wednesday, new Pelicans Executive VP of Basketball Operations David Griffin said that he thinks Anthony Davis would be open to staying in New Orleans.
Griffin got that impression from discussions with Davis' representative, Rich Paul. It certainly helps that New Orleans has a respected basketball mind calling the shots now, but it'd still be a surprise if the Pelicans proceeded with Davis in limbo — Griffin wants to know whether he's in or out before anything happens. This could also be a leverage play to force potential trade suitors to pony up as much as possible. Expect plenty more updates on Davis' thoughts throughout the summer.
Source: Will Guillory on Twitter

For what it's worth, Lebron really wanted to keep Griffin in Cleveland and was opposed to Dan Gilbert giving him the boot. So it's believable that he and Rich Paul have a good relationship.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2019, 05:44:23 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
After watching that press conference why do I get the feeling that NOH will be all right - whether or not AD stays?

David Griffin to NOH is one of the best moves I've seen in the NBA in a while.

« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2019, 05:56:22 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Anthony Davis seems VERY impressionable. I could see Griffin talking Rich Paul into AD signing the super max with the Lakers seemingly out of the picture.

« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2019, 06:05:22 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Wouldn't that be something?

After the Anthony Davis sideshow that took place the entire season, he ends up staying in New Orleans.

He does have approximately $230 million reasons to stay

« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2019, 06:28:49 PM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25

After the Anthony Davis sideshow that took place the entire season, he ends up staying in New Orleans.

Do they have the resources to retool though?

What key FA's or trade scenarios could NO focus on which would retool with Davis?

« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2019, 06:30:35 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Anthony Davis seems VERY impressionable. I could see Griffin talking Rich Paul into AD signing the super max with the Lakers seemingly out of the picture.
Davis should reconsider.  He seemed to like New Orleans but didn't have confidence that the NOP org could build a winner.  Now NOP is making very good moves that address some of his concerns.  Not only the Griffin hiring but also separating the basketball organization out from under the Saints organization. 

« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2019, 06:50:19 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Do they have the resources to retool though?

What key FA's or trade scenarios could NO focus on which would retool with Davis?

They could trade for Lebron (lol)

Honestly, it's a good question.

There's not much to work with on their roster and alot of their players are going to be free agents.

Looking at their roster, the only thing they really have to dangle in a trade is Jrue Holiday, E'Twaun Moore and their 1st rounder in this summer's draft.

Julius Randle is a good player, but he's got a player option and I would think he would opt out and seek more money (whether that's with New Orleans or somewhere else.)

The only thing I can think of is David Griffin actually entices a really good free agent to come play with AD

FYI: pop-up ads on this site are interfering with trying to post responses.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 06:55:56 PM by gpap »

« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2019, 06:53:02 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Griffin might be a bit overrated. His entire resume is basically making short term moves that mortgaged the future. That’s not what NOP needs. It will be interesting to see how it works out.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2019, 07:05:38 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Griffin might be a bit overrated. His entire resume is basically making short term moves that mortgaged the future. That’s not what NOP needs. It will be interesting to see how it works out.

Trading Andrew Wiggins and Anthony Bennett for Kevin Love was a pretty good move.