Author Topic: Watch The Throne  (Read 8233 times)

Re: Watch The Throne
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 04:00:22 PM »

Online shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
MattG , it's funny, I usually agree almost 100% with your reviews and have felt that you have a simliair taste in music (and movies for that matter) as I do.  And while I would probably give this album about a B as well (closer to B-) the songs that you liked/disliked were almost the exact opposite of what I liked and didnt like.

Primetime for instance is my favorite beat on the album.  I agree that it is a lazy song in terms of the rapping but that beat is tough dude. 

and N***** in Paris I really don't find to be all that impressive of a beat.  To me it feels like your typical southern style banger beat (which has never been my taste).  Although I gotta say when those drums come in at the 32 sec. mark it definitely bumps.

Where we agree is that That's my B is nothing more than a cluster of bad sounds.  It sounds like they sampled Super Mario World with that synth.  How did that one make the cut?

From this album I would say New Day is far and away my favorite.  It will likely be the only song that I will continue to listen to after I grow tired of the rest of the album.  Great beat and great verses.

IMO the issue with this album is it seems like they are trying to cater to everyone.  They have their radio song (Otis), they have their southern style song (N's in Paris), the club banger (Who Gon Stop Me),  the concious song (New Day), the old-school 90's rap song (Primetime), and their Swizz Beatz song  ::) --  I cant stand him btw (Welcome to the Jungle).  This makes it so the album doesn't really have a consistent sound and feel to it.  Kinda lacks identity.  Same way I felt about BP3. 

Another high point of the album for me is Frank Ocean who has too fantastic hooks.

But TP for your review and keep em coming please.  ;D
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2011, 11:05:09 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Maybe this is a taste thing.

But, I swear I can listen to 'No Church In The Wild' like 20 times in a row and find something new that I love about it.

I also love 'That's My -----' and '----- in Paris'.

Other songs though, the more I listen to, I like more. Whoever said its like 808's and Heartbreaks was right. Requires multiple listens.

IF you believe that Kanye West is legit the 'voice' of our generation, (which, believe me I understand if you're not. After the third listen to this album I wanted to tweet '---- you Kanye, you really are that good, and I hate you.'..but than I realized I didn't have any followers and just told my car to shut up), than this is our 'white' album.

And if you understand what the 'white' album really was to the beatles, compared with what the beatles were to music, you'll agree.

Its about production value meeting talent meeting substance. Not sure how else to say it.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2011, 11:06:33 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
But for real, I could listen to 'No Church In the Wild' like 40 more times, and each time be torn between wanting to applause and wanting to punch someone in the dome because it gets me so pumped up.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2011, 12:11:29 AM »

Offline CrossCL

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10
Best livin or dead hands down huh?

Someone mentioned J-Cole earlier, one of my friends thinks he's the best alive? Can someone direct me towards an album or some tracks that would support this?

Sorry to go off topic again, but I really want to point you to "I Get Up" off the Warm Up Mixtape. Old school beat with a trumpet line thrown in, old-school flow, lyrically rapping about the struggles of the street aka the makings for a instant classic. PLEASE do yourself a favor and listen to it.

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2011, 12:22:32 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Its an okay album.  By Jay-Z standards though, uh, not so much.

Maybe its just me though.  I still to this day think Reasonable Doubt was his best album.

That, and, I can not take anymore over-produced, over-sensationalized Kanye crap.

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2011, 12:53:29 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
it's like Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy "Part 2" with Jay-Z on every track.  

it's not as good as "Part 1", but it's still pretty good.  i listened to it a bunch when i first downloaded it.

I expect "who gon' stop me" to be in one of the upcoming 2k games.

I like "Murder to Excellence."  "N----- in Paris" is a fun song, too, even if it's ridiculous and crass.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 12:58:38 AM by PosImpos »
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2011, 08:16:43 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Very good album.  Great production on most of the songs.  Jay is so sharp that he makes Kanye seem like a hype man instead of an equal vocal partner.