Author Topic: Running Up That Hill: 80s Appreciation Thread  (Read 3804 times)

Re: Running Up That Hill: 80s Appreciation Thread
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2022, 09:47:44 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
I own a Record Store near LA...and the 80s have never died here...we opened in 1986, still going strong...hate to say it, but Covid helped our business....cause lots of people had nothing to do, so they started collecting Vinyl again...Last year was the best year we ever had.

I've been to hundreds of concerts over the years...Depeche Mode, The Cure, David Bowie, Ramones, Morrissey, Garbage, Hole, Chris Isaak, Queen(with Freddie Mercury), Siouxsie and the Banshees, Pixies, U2, Oasis and tons more. Better than working a regular job that's for sure.
That’s awesome! Vinyl is definitely back in at the moment. I love owning physical embodiments of art (whether it’s records, movies, games, etc).

For sure, thing is, we also carry over 2,000 T-Shirts...and we have Posters, Pins, Patches, etc--like the old fashioned stores had.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2022, 10:08:25 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
I love owning physical embodiments of art (whether it’s records, movies, games, etc).

Yes, there is nothing quite like actually owning a piece of physical media. Digital is convenient and I love my iTunes subscription and multiple video streaming services, but physical feels better and ultimately provides more assured access to the media in the future (until discs start to rot, which is hopefully not for many decades to come for those of us who take great care of the discs). I insist on physical media for most everything I love, including my favorite movies of the past 15 years on Blu-Ray and 4K discs since 2018/2019 (and I have literally thousands of DVDs/CDs for material released prior to the creation of blu-ray and, shortly afterward, the implementation/adoption of mass streaming). I am planning on going 100% digital with Xbox Series X given Microsoft’s new business model for Xbox gaming, but I am still purchasing physical media for PS5 exclusives until Sony fully commits to the same idea of “one PS from here on out” like Microsoft has. Obviously I’ll always go physical media with Nintendo unless there comes the day they only offer digital only. What a sad day that would be.

In terms of vinyl, I guess I just don’t have the ear to tell the difference between vinyl and CD (although I can tell the difference between CD and bluetooth digital on high-end systems). If anything, I prefer the sound of CDs over vinyl, and have always thought of my pops’ old, scratchy records when the topic of vinyl comes up. BUT…nothing is cooler than the size/artwork or LPs. Once I run out of other things to collect, perhaps vinyl will be next 🤣
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 11:09:35 PM by GreenlyGreeny »

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2022, 10:12:38 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
I own a Record Store near LA...and the 80s have never died here...we opened in 1986, still going strong...hate to say it, but Covid helped our business....cause lots of people had nothing to do, so they started collecting Vinyl again...Last year was the best year we ever had.

I've been to hundreds of concerts over the years...Depeche Mode, The Cure, David Bowie, Ramones, Morrissey, Garbage, Hole, Chris Isaak, Queen(with Freddie Mercury), Siouxsie and the Banshees, Pixies, U2, Oasis and tons more. Better than working a regular job that's for sure.
That’s awesome! Vinyl is definitely back in at the moment. I love owning physical embodiments of art (whether it’s records, movies, games, etc).

For sure, thing is, we also carry over 2,000 T-Shirts...and we have Posters, Pins, Patches, etc--like the old fashioned stores had.

Sounds super cool. I’ll try to remember to IM for the location next time I’m in LA.

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2022, 10:51:55 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526

A good friend of mine - Boston boy/ Cs fan - moved to LA in October. Works at a studio that sells event space and photos by Norman Seeff, amazing pics of celebrities over past 50 years.   Unlike me, my friend is an eclectic music guy - all eras and very into 80’s.  I bet he’d be interested in your store. If you can let me know the name, will send him there.

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2022, 12:08:01 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1481
imho 'running up that hill' is a great song.  I am a huge Kate Bush fan, and big 80's music fan (police, elvis costello, duran duran, kate bush, the the, the church, split enz, talking heads, cocteau twins, tears for fears, japan, genesis, late roxy music, REM, the cure, the smiths, u2, eurythmics, peter gabriel, 

I also think the song was used really well in the current season of Stranger Things.  It seemed like a perfect fit.

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2022, 12:10:27 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1481

Hey - This is awesome to hear!  I am a huge music fan, and 80's music fan in particular.  I used to live in los angeles and would go to a lot of record stores in hollywood and long beach before many of them closed, but now I live in orange county.  I love going to record stores.  If you don't mind, let me know what the name of your place is, I would love to check it out.

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2022, 01:32:59 AM »

Online LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 393
imho 'running up that hill' is a great song.  I am a huge Kate Bush fan, and big 80's music fan (police, elvis costello, duran duran, kate bush, the the, the church, split enz, talking heads, cocteau twins, tears for fears, japan, genesis, late roxy music, REM, the cure, the smiths, u2, eurythmics, peter gabriel, 

I also think the song was used really well in the current season of Stranger Things.  It seemed like a perfect fit.

I didn’t know the song prior to Stranger Things but I agree, that was a masterful moment. Great song choice, editing, storytelling, etc.
- LilRip

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2022, 06:23:02 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Some 80's albums I had that are still amazing today:

Freeze Frame - J. Geils
Synchronicity - The Police
Foreigner 4. - Foreigner
Thriller - Michael Jackson
The Joshua Tree - U2
Sports -Huey Lewis and the News
Eliminator - ZZ Top
Faith - George Michael
Appetite For Destruction - Guns N' Roses
Back in Black - AC/DC
Purple Rain - Prince
Let's Dance - David Bowie
Master of Puppets - Metallica
Scarecrow - John Mellencamp
Hi Infidelity - REO Speedwagon

Wish I still had them. Nothing like vinyl especially the art that a lot of albums had on the jacket covers. The band Boston had a couple of amazing jacket covers, for instance.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 06:33:29 AM by nickagneta »

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2022, 07:20:22 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Freeze Frame - J. Geils
Foreigner 4. - Foreigner
The Joshua Tree - U2
Eliminator - ZZ Top
Faith - George Michael
Back in Black - AC/DC
Purple Rain - Prince

Wish I still had them. Nothing like vinyl especially the art that a lot of albums had on the jacket covers. The band Boston had a couple of amazing jacket covers, for instance.
Let’s Dance by Bowie is just incredible song after incredible song
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2022, 07:32:07 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Freeze Frame - J. Geils
Foreigner 4. - Foreigner
The Joshua Tree - U2
Eliminator - ZZ Top
Faith - George Michael
Back in Black - AC/DC
Purple Rain - Prince

Yup. And yet, my favorite Bowie song, maybe his best song, Heroes, isn't even on it..

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2022, 07:36:11 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Freeze Frame - J. Geils
Foreigner 4. - Foreigner
The Joshua Tree - U2
Eliminator - ZZ Top
Faith - George Michael
Back in Black - AC/DC
Purple Rain - Prince

Yup. And yet, my favorite Bowie song, maybe his best song, Heroes, isn't even on it..
He has a ridiculous discography. Probably the most impressive of any one musician that isn’t a producer (otherwise I’d probably go Eno)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)